IGNORED

Tiger Streak: Which Events Count?

g-funk13
Note: This thread is 5900 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. How many wins in Tiger's Streak (through Bay Hill)

• 7: Dubai and Target Challenge Count
    • 6: Target Challenge is out
    • 5: Only PGA Tour Official Events Count

Here is a list of the current Tiger Streak:

1. BMW Championship
2. The Tour Championship
(The President's Cup)
3. Target World Challenge
4. Buick Invitational
5. Dubai Desert Classic
6. WGC Match Play
7. Palmer Invitational

The Target is out

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

Well a win streak is a win streak, 7 in a row

you can call it what you want.

The PGA streak can not be compromised thought, PGA streak needs to be PGA tournaments, but in terms of pure wins, a win is a win in my mind whats the difference?!!?!?!?!? GO TIGER

• Administrator
I don't count the Target because he had only 15 other people to play, and he selected them. And it's not like he takes the top 15 + himself, either - it's a mish-mash of good players and old buddies.

16 players isn't enough in my eyes. So I put the streak at 6. Two in 2007 and four this year. Dubai counts because it's a full Tour-sanctioned event.

You don't get OWGR points for the Target, nor the Presidents Cup, so that's my determining factor.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would put it at 6; Target out. But if he keeps winning and is going after Nelson's 11 in a row, then I would have to put it at 5, as these were the ones that were official PGA Tour events. Nelson won things like the Miami 4 Ball, but as far as I know, they were all PGA events. Dubai had a great field; at best I'd put an asterisk in if he went 11 and it included Dubai. The way Tiger is playing, it may be a mute point.

Ping G 410 10.5 ˚ Driver Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 14.5˚ 3 Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
Ping G 410 19˚ Ping Tour Stiff Shaft
i 500 irons 4-UW 1/2 inch over, blue dot, NS Pro Modus 105 Stiff Shafts
Ping Stealth Wedges Wedges  54˚ 58˚

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 34" 

For the official streak I would also throw out the Target, but I do agree that overall a win is a win. I heard a quick mention on TGC the other night about one of the tournament Nelson won in his streak being a 4 Ball. Not to take away from what he did, because 11 straight is just crazy, but should a partnered event count?
Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

I don't get how people can say the Target tournament doesn't count... yet Nelson's 4-Ball tournament with a partner counts in his streak. I would think that having a partner in a 4-Ball tournament is much more controversial than that Target tournament was...

But I guess a PGA tour event is a PGA tour event...
Whats in my bag:
Driver: R7 Superquad 10.5 Stiff Stock
Wood: R7 3 wood Stiff Stock, r7 5 wood Stiff Stock
Irons: Command BK 3-PW Stiff TT Black Gold Shafts
Wedges: 52, 56, 60Putter: Dual Force Rossie II or White Hot XG #9 (Haven't had a chance to use both yet.)

• Administrator
I would put it at 6; Target out. But if he keeps winning and is going after Nelson's 11 in a row, then I would have to put it at 5, as these were the ones that were official PGA Tour events. Nelson won things like the Miami 4 Ball, but as far as I know, they were all PGA events. Dubai had a great field; at best I'd put an asterisk in if he went 11 and it included Dubai. The way Tiger is playing, it may be a mute point.

Nelson didn't have the European Tour, so I think limiting it to just "PGA Tour" events is a bit silly in light of the globalization we've now got in golf. I've chosen to limit it to events in which OWGR points are handed out. That excludes the Target.

P.S. "moot" point.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Even if Tiger gets 12, the next issue will be that it was not in a calendar year or that he skipped too many tournaments. Just like the Tiger Slam. He won 4 in a row. He had all the trophies at once. Looks like a slam to me.
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

If they are not in a row they don't count. Now he is at 2 in my book. You can't just shut it down and come play fully recharged three weeks later and say the streak is on when you missed 3 events. Being on the road and winning consecutive weeks is very draining and no way anyone would ever beat 11 that way.

• Administrator
If they are not in a row they don't count. Now he is at 2 in my book. You can't just shut it down and come play fully recharged three weeks later and say the streak is on when you missed 3 events. Being on the road and winning consecutive weeks is very draining and no way anyone would ever beat 11 that way.

That's just unrealistic and completely opposed to the way the modern Tour operates. I doubt anyone has even played 11 events in a row in the past 20 years.

That's just unrealistic and completely opposed to the way the modern Tour operates. I doubt anyone has even played 11 events in a row in the past 20 years.

When records are set, it is a good thing sometimes when they are not broken. If you want to say Tiger won however many starts, then that is fine. Tiger imo is working on his own separate record. The real record is however consecutive, and you don't lessen records due to changing times.

The closest I can think of is Dana Quigley on the Champions Tour...

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I voted for PGA tour events only but now that I think about it Dubai should count as well. The Target Challenge definitely does not count in my eyes.

Driver: 09 Launcher 10.5
4 Wood: 09 Launcher Steel 17
Hybrid: Baffler DWS 20 Aldila Reg
Irons: AP1 4-GW Steel
Wedges: 588 Gunmetal 56 & 60Putter: Studio Style Newport 2Ball: NXT Tour

When records are set, it is a good thing sometimes when they are not broken. If you want to say Tiger won however many starts, then that is fine. Tiger imo is working on his own separate record. The real record is however consecutive, and you don't lessen records due to changing times.

I have tried to find the schedule from Nelson's streak, to no avail, but was it truly consecutive? It lasted from March to August. That is more than 11 weeks. I assume they did not play as much then, but would it take 20 weeks or more to play 11 tournaments? Lets say for argument sake it started on March 15 and ended on August 15. That is 22 weeks. That meant that he was essentially able to rest every other week. Tiger plays 17-18 events each year. That is from February to October. About every two weeks on average. Not all that different. He also plays all over the World.

I have tried to find the schedule from Nelson's streak, to no avail, but was it truly consecutive? It lasted from March to August. That is more than 11 weeks. I assume they did not play as much then, but would it take 20 weeks or more to play 11 tournaments? Lets say for argument sake it started on March 15 and ended on August 15. That is 22 weeks. That meant that he was essentially able to rest every other week. Tiger plays 17-18 events each year. That is from February to October. About every two weeks on average. Not all that different. He also plays all over the World.

They were consecutive. I think I remember reading he won 20 total that year, 11 consecutively.

What? I can't say 6, Dubai doesn't count?

I'm with 6. Nelson gets his Miami event, Tiger gets Dubai. I think having a teammate is less of an advantage than choosing your competition (although top X available in the world get invites to TWC, don't they? Isn't that how Rory got in?).
The closest I can think of is Dana Quigley on the Champions Tour...

Quigley played some huge number of tournaments for which he was eligible. I think the streak lasted seven or eight years. Iron man for certain!

Someone who knows more about his record and can cite it should enter it in his Wikipedia entry.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

i think all of them are good. even if the TWC was against less people, it was against THE BEST (allegedly) people. i think that if you can win every tournament you enter, they all have got to count as wins in a row

even though he takes 3 weeks off in between tournaments, may players don't have that luxury

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

Note: This thread is 5900 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!