IGNORED

Pelz 3X4 Question

Note: This thread is 5892 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey Pelz People, I am trying to work my Pelz Finesse Swing into life. I like the results I see, but I have a problem:

10:30 60deg = 70yd
10:30 56deg = 77yd
10:30 PW = 100yd ???

Anybody experience this problem or something similar? Any solutions?

If your distances are like that then i would add the gapper--it will make up for the distance lost---since theres such a big gap go for the 51 degree Reg 588

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

Hey Pelz People, I am trying to work my Pelz Finesse Swing into life. I like the results I see, but I have a problem:

I had the same problem with the borrowed Pings I was using. When I got my own set, I ordered a 4-GW set. So, on a full swing I get about 95 yards with my SW (56 degree), 105-110 yards with my GW, and about 120 with my PW. You definitely should get a GW or similar to fill that void.

Ironically this is one of the issues that Dave Pelz raises in his book "short game Bible" (I think thats the title, I have not got the book at hand), Dave Pelz tells us how the make up of standard golf sets are entirely based on hitting the ball a long way, and not to improve the scoring of the individual golfer.

(will spell check this post later, I am not at home at the moment)

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

This actually makes perfect sense.

Your PW should be between 46-48 degrees of loft depending on the club manufacturer. Thus you only have a 7 yard difference between the SW and LW which is only 4 degrees of difference. So you could have a 8-10 degree difference between the PW and SW.

My suggestion is to get the differences in degrees about the same. For instance, I'm considering getting some new irons and the PW on these irons is at 46 degrees. Thus I plan on getting 51 degree gap wedge, a 56 degree SW and a 60 degree LW.

3JACK

I'm rock'n the 54* SW...fills in nicely between the PW (48) and Lob (60)

In My Grom Bag:
Rapture Driver (10.5*)
Rapture 3 wood (14*)
G5 22* Hybrid
Eye 2+ (Blue-Dot) 4-PW iWedge 54/60 PAL-2i (Isopur); G2 ZSB Pro V1xHome Course: Rio Salado Golf Club (63.6/101)

does any one having trouble making 3/4 swing actually 75% of the full swing distance?
and 1/2 with 50% distance?

Launcher 460 10.5° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

does any one having trouble making 3/4 swing actually 75% of the full swing distance?

Andre, it actually is not the point to make a half-swing to be exactly half the distance of a full swing. In fact, for most people that just won't happen. The only way it will happen is if you are able to accelerate at exactly the same rate over the entire swing. Even the pros don't do that -- see a book like Jorgensen's

The Physics of Golf -- he has an acceleration/time graph in there that shows that most people accelerate constantly at first but actually have less acceleration into impact. Not that they are decelerating, but that they aren't accelerating as fast as they were at the beginning of the swing. The point is that you find out what your distances are. Record them and use that record to figure out exactly what swing will get the distance you desire. It doesn't matter if the half-swing distance is more than half of your full shot, less than half, or exactly half... just that you can hit pretty close to the same shot repeatedly.

Most newer pitching wedges are in the 46-48 degree range. I also have the short game bible and when spring really breaks I'm going to try out the 3x4 myself. I suggest a gap wedge at about 51 degrees - see if that fills your gap.

"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

Your PW should be between 46-48 degrees of loft depending on the club manufacturer.

While most "players" sets will have PWs around 49,48,47,46-ish, some of these super game improvement clubs today have PWs all the way up to 43 today. Coupled with a 56 degree SW, that's a 13 degree gap! One could reasonably squeeze three gap wedges in there! But, this is the state of modern club manufacturing -- and Richie's points about the separation between them is very valid. g-funk, you probably will want to look up what your PW's loft is and see just how large that gap is. It will in all likelihood be necessary to find a gap wedge around 50 to 52 degrees. That will fill in the gaps in the Pelz system you are trying to use.

Have your clubs checked by a club maker/fitter to make sure the lofts are in fact what they are stated (also check length and flex of shafts as well) - This will help establish the gaps a bit more and perhaps you can switch that 56 for a 54, 53, or 52.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Andre, it actually is not the point to make a half-swing to be exactly half the distance of a full swing. In fact, for most people that just won't happen. The only way it will happen is if you are able to accelerate at exactly the same rate over the entire swing. Even the pros don't do that -- see a book like Jorgensen's

Oh! I always thought there was something wrong with my mechanics or I was over swinging so I couldn't get 50% distance from 1/2 swing.

Thanks Bignose! Now I only need to find a deserted green.

Launcher 460 10.5° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

Note: This thread is 5892 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!