IGNORED

Playing the lie

gasfreak
Note: This thread is 5894 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do you play the lie or do you put the ball on the little bit taller grass or anything to make you shot easier,not saying either way is bad but just wondering.Me I will play most lies unless it is really buried or something like that

For me it depends on the type of game im playing... If i'm by myself i usually play the ball as it lies because when i golf alone im working on getting better. If im out with friends and we;re just playing for fun ill improve my lie a bit if i dont think i can hit it well from where its at. Its supposed to be fun so why give your self a harder time than you need to is my $.02

i play it as it lies unless it is in a divot. also, when i slice my ball into the REALLY TALL grass, close to the ground the grass layers over other layers of grass. i take the ball out of there, cuz i hurt my back trying to muscle a 5 iron out once. also, the chances of you actually advancing the ball are >20% once i actually hit the ball 3 feet forward and LOST it!

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

If it's a serious round I'll play the ball as it lies. If the course is in bad shape, it's not serious, or the rules apply equally to everybody (if we all get to improve our lies), then I'll nudge it around.

No point in playing by the rules down to the T if 1) it isn't a serious/official round and 2) you aren't having fun. Just as long as you're aware that if you are in a money game or tourney you can't do it, and will probably affect your score.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

I seem to get consistently good lies, even in the rough, so I play it as it is. Sometimes I'll find my ball in a divot, but I keep it there (until I hit it out, of course).

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Play it as it lies unless everybody in the group/tournament agrees on winter rules in the fairways only (the rough is supposed to be punishment so you can't improve you ball there IMO).

In The Bag:
905R UST V2 Stiff
906F2 UST V2 Stiff
3DX dc 17* Stiff
2300 IM 4-PW Stiff CG 12 Black Pearl 52*, 56*, 60* C67 Pro V1x

I always play it as it lies, even if I'm out on the course for a round on my own. The only exception to this is if I am playing at a course that has preferred lies on the fairway as a local rule.

When I was learning to play golf 25+ years ago my grandfather always told me to "don't touch it unless you are hitting it" as a general guideline and I've kept true to that.

In winter rules at the moment it's lift, clean and place within 6 inches at my home course. Without this I wouldn't play for 4/5 months of the year!

For the other 7/8 months I will play it as it lies 95% of the time. The only time I change the lie is if it's a practice game and i'll either do damage to myself and/or the ground. Yes it's a game and you're meant to enjoy it but it's also a challenge!

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

Eore, i clicked on your course site link. That looks like a pretty sweet track.
In my Vantage bag:
Driver::905R 8.5*(V2)
3 Wood:Launcher 13*(V2)
Irons:AP2 (Project X 5.5) (3-W)
HybridTWS 19*Gap wedge:CG15 50* Sand wedge:CG15 56*Putter:: XG9 (35")Ball:ProV1X

The course I play the most was a cow pasture just a few years ago. The grass is s-l-o-w-ly coming back in. The earth is well packed and in places is like concrete.
On the score card it specifically says, "Due to continuing course improvements, you may improve your lie, but not your situation."

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

Eore, i clicked on your course site link. That looks like a pretty sweet track.

it is, but that long grass is killer

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

Dirtcheap, have you played any of the courses around Bentonville that are WalMart corporate courses. I was over there last summer for the OSU/ARK baseball regional and was going to play one but got rained out so I never was able to. I can't remember the name but I want to say it was Eagle's nest or something like that. It was supposed to be very hilly and recently redesigned. What do you know about any of the better courses in your area?
In my Vantage bag:
Driver::905R 8.5*(V2)
3 Wood:Launcher 13*(V2)
Irons:AP2 (Project X 5.5) (3-W)
HybridTWS 19*Gap wedge:CG15 50* Sand wedge:CG15 56*Putter:: XG9 (35")Ball:ProV1X

If it's a serious round I'll play the ball as it lies. If the course is in bad shape, it's not serious, or the rules apply equally to everybody (if we all get to improve our lies), then I'll nudge it around.

Well Said! x2
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

Do you play the lie or do you put the ball on the little bit taller grass or anything to make you shot easier,not saying either way is bad but just wondering.Me I will play most lies unless it is really buried or something like that

That would be a two stroke penalty. In other words, if you do that and didn't take the penalty, you cheated.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

Dirtcheap, have you played any of the courses around Bentonville that are WalMart corporate courses.

I don't know of any Wal-Mart "corporate courses."

That being said, within 10 miles of the Wal-Mart home office there are no less then 15 courses. (Lots of money in this area... none of it mine. ) If you ever make it over this way again, let me know and we'll try to work in a round.

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

I always play it as it lies. The only time I move the ball is when it is plugged on the fairway.

Like my brother told me "You don't like your lie? You should not have hit it, there."

As others have stated, you want to improve it? Sure, that's fine. Just don't keep a score. I actually stopped playing with two of my friends because they were constantly using their "foot wedge" and re-hitting. Drove me nuts and made the round, longer.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Always, always, always play the ball as it lies. It would be cheating otherwise.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

Note: This thread is 5894 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!