IGNORED

Interpreting Golf Practice Hitting Net Feedback

Nave
Note: This thread is 1093 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello

In my backyard I have a large hitting net and a practice matt.
Because I cannot see the flight trajectory and direction as the ball hits the net, I wonder if I can at least make any sense of the bounce back:

Golf ball/net response examples: 
- Impact and fall within the net
- ... and bounce rolling straight back
- ... and bounce to the right
- ... and bounce to the left

Would it make sense to assume that if the ball rolls back to the right, that it was probably a draw or a slice depending of how far right it bounced back?

Is this borderline witchcraft to try and read a net's response as there could be too many factors and irregularities in the golf net?
I am not aiming for SkyTrak level launch monitor accuracy; I am looking for feedback to estimate the general flight direction of my backyard practice.

Thanks,
Nave

Edited by Nave
  • Like 1

Nave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Nave changed the title to Interpreting Golf Practice Hitting Net Feedback
20 minutes ago, Nave said:

Hello

In my backyard I have a large hitting net and a practice matt.
Because I cannot see the flight trajectory and direction as the ball hits the net, I wonder if I can at least make any sense of the bounce back:

Golf ball/net response examples: 
- Impact and fall within the net
- ... and bounce rolling straight back
- ... and bounce to the right
- ... and bounce to the left

Would it make sense to assume that if the ball rolls back to the right, that it was probably a draw or a slice depending of how far right it bounced back?

Is this borderline witchcraft to try and read a net's response as there could be too many factors and irregularities in the golf net?
I am not aiming for SkyTrak level launch monitor accuracy; I am looking for feedback to estimate the general flight direction of my backyard practice.

Thanks,
Nave

I don’t think you can get any feedback from the net other than vertical launch angle and horizontal launch angle (where it hits the net). I’ve painted horizontal lines and put ribbon on the net to represent different vertical launch angles. I’ve done the same using vertical lines or rope for horizontal launch angle.  There are too many variables to get any feedback from how the ball bounces off the net.

Use the net practice to film your swing and work on your priority pieces. Then go to a range to view flight.

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Nave said:

Yes. The humidity could affect how "sticky" the net is, the temperature too… just look at where it hit the net and feel how it felt off the clubface.

• Informative 2

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I've essentially got the same setup.  Callaway net and mat.  The only trajectory data worth anything is BEFORE you hit the net. 

BTW, I've ditched the mat and now hit off my grass.  I usually can tell if I missed, hit it badly, hit it good, or THWACK! 😁😀

However, I film my sessions and give a visual cue to my impression on the swing AT THE TIME (thumbs up/down or neutral). 

Then I see what the swing looks like on the video.

Gonna break par... someday. 😉

:tmade: Stealth HD Driver :tmade: M4 3w :tmade: Stealth+ Rescue Hybrid 2

:tmade: P790 2i UDI :tmade: P790 3i-PW :tmade: MG3 52° AW ...56° CUTTER Wedge

...and a lefty L.A.B. B2 putter. :-)

17 hours ago, HankBlue said:

I film my sessions and give a visual cue to my impression

That's a great point. I started filming today and that helps a lot.

Enjoy the journey to breaking par! See you on the other side of 72.

Nave

Note: This thread is 1093 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!