IGNORED

How to Learn Faster Using Failures (Huberman Lab Podcast Episode #7)

saevel25
Note: This thread is 956 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

An interesting podcast about how to learn faster by utilizing errors. 

Basically, by the age of 25, adults struggle to engage neural plasticity. 

To summarize...

1) Adults learn better through incremental change. You can't just throw them a lot of information, and have them learn it all. So, keeping it simple helps a lot. 

2) When you are in a mode of repeating errors, like you are trying to remember the sign language alphabet but keep making errors, even though you are trying your best to not make errors. Continue on for 7-30 minutes. That focused frustration will tell your brain to look for where the errors are happening, and the brain will highlight these areas for change (plasticity). 

3) When our body produces dopamine, then there is a higher chance for neural plasticity. 

To put both of them together, we want to learn to attach dopamine, in a subjective way, with the process of making errors. The focused frustration, and pushing forward, will cause the brain to highlight the areas for change. Then if we link that frustration process as an accomplishment, we can release dopamine which enhances plasticity as well. We need to trick our brain into thinking this very frustrating situation is actually an accomplishment that requires rewarding through the release of dopamine. Like, "Well, I am frustrated, but this frustration means I did the process well and I should be happy about it".

Mentally, dopamine is released in what each individual believes is subjectively good for them. Like how some will find a joke funny and others will not. 

Going to take it back to this thread. I am going to try to link the two together. Hopefully, I don't fail greatly on this 🙂

Simple, Specific, Slow, Short translated well to adults who want to make a change. In general, keeping things specific and building incrementally is the best. Younger people might be able to work on Driver, Irons, Short Game, Putting in all one setting with great plasticity. An adult may need to keep one session only on one specific thing in the swing, and adding more will just not stick as well. 

Success would be linked towards rewarding the process of pushing forward in the frustrating process. Yes, seeing success is great reinforcement.

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

Practice at the edge of your ability.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 956 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!