IGNORED

Four-Ball Scores Must Be Posted

reidsou

Played in a two person team stroke play four-ball competition.  Afterwards, the tournament director (head pro) did not post the scores, as he normally does after tournaments. 

Asked why not, he said:

The four-ball scores can be posted on personal accord if all holes were completed. In a lot of cases this instance was not met. Given putts, 4 holes played, some with no scores at all. Hence the better ball format. If people have any questions concerning this matter. I am happy to field them.

This is wrong for many reasons. For example, holes do not have to be "completed". No putts can be "given". (And probably scores should be recorded.)

Symptomatic, IMO, of poor regard for the rules in these events.

Ideas for "questions" to send him?

Edited by reidsou
Forgot a word

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

47 minutes ago, reidsou said:

Played in a two person team stroke play four-ball competition.  Afterwards, the tournament director (head pro) did not post the scores, as he normally does after tournaments. 

Asked why not, he said:

This is wrong for many reasons. For example, holes do not have to be "completed". No putts can be "given". (And probably scores should be recorded.)

Symptomatic, IMO, of poor regard for the rules in these events.

Ideas for "questions" to send him?

I assume you're in the USGA jurisdiction, so I suggest that you refer him to the USGA Handicap Rules.  1.3(i) discusses player responsibility, including the expectation that the player will enter "acceptable scores" into the system in a timely manner.  2.1 talks about what an Acceptable Score is, and defines what are Acceptable Formats, which specifically include fourball formats.  Rule 3 talks about adjusting hole scores, which specifically addresses situations where a hole isn't completed.  In sum, the Rules require fourball scores to be posted (within the USGA jurisdictions, not everywhere), and gives the player the mechanisms to do so.  It sounds to me as if the pro is using his own personal opinion to override the requirements of the Handicap Rules.

• Informative 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Want to join this community?

We'd love to have you!

• Support TST Affiliates

TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo after clicking this link. For Mevo+, click this link or the image above.
    • I've been thinking a lot about this topic myself. I have two kids, ages 5 & 7 and I have been pretty diligent about putting money away into their 529 college savings plan. Even so, if tuition inflation continues at it's current rate, I would probably need around $800,000 to be send them to any college they want debt-free. That's just not going to happen.  I don't agree that schools don't have to compete on price, but I do think that society's emphasis on a 4 year degree as a pre-requisite for success has led to a "cost be damned" mentality when it comes to choosing schools. For the last 30 years, it was never a question that the value of a degree was greater than the cost for most parents. Now we are starting to see chinks in that armor, as more stories of college graduates who are living under the crushing burden of their debt come to light. I think the real change will start to happen in several years, when this generation of 20 and 30 somethings, who lived and raised families while paying down their 6 figure student loans start to send their own kids to college. They are going to know that burden first hand and are not going to want their own children to have to deal with it. I think the middle tier private schools will be the first to feel the pinch. Will Dennison be able to charge $100k per student in 10 years? What about Claremont McKenna in California or Brandeis in Massachusetts? I think it's unlikely. Dave Ramsey has been beating this drum for awhile and I happen to agree with him. If you aren't going to Harvard/Yale (or a peer institution), or a state school, you are probably getting ripped off for your college degree. Once parents start to realize this en masse and speak with their checkbooks, the dominoes will start to fall. 
    • My college was about 50% Natalie's cost. An order of magnitude would be crazy. I don't think that rule of thumb holds up. 10x over 20-25 years? That's so far out of whack I can't imagine it. Denison costs about $75,000 per year. No way it cost only $7500 in 1996. Allegheny almost as much, and no way did it cost < $7k 25 years ago. It's gone up but I have no belief it's an order of magnitude.
    • Definitely better and different than at the 2017 Newport Cup. Good work. This amount of change is hard.
    • Sadly, a rule of thumb on tuition is an order of magnitude per generation. When I was a freshman at WPI, my roommate and I were paying $6000 tuition. His dad, who went to WPI, pay $600. Now it $60,000. And frankly, it’s not like the school is worth a 1000% more now.  I would only agree to forgiveness or help where the loans were predatory in nature. There have been instances of this, especially in the for-profit universities. But the cost has to be reined in. It’s far greater than inflation would justify.
    • My go to ball is the Snell MTB Black (great ball at a great price).  Characteristics and performance are comparable to the below balls I also play. I’ll buy the ZStar (buy 2, get 1) and TP5x (buy 3, get 1) when they’re on sale.  I also really like the ProV1, but only play them when I get them as a gift.
  • Today's Birthdays

1. Augie
      Augie
      (63 years old)
    2. Dukes1304
      Dukes1304
      (36 years old)
    3. Mmgolfwiz
      Mmgolfwiz
      (58 years old)

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...