IGNORED

My Swing (WillieT)

WillieT

I've been Playing Golf for: 4yrs
My current handicap index or average score is: 85-90
My typical ball flight is: fade or worse
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: fat slices

I struggle with push slices.  Some days, the shot borders on a baby draw or a decent power fade (starts left, fades right toward the center).  When I get tired, I see the shot become an out and out slice.  Providing a couple of short videos to start input.  Note - the only lessons I have had would be self-induced based on feed back from here with the exception of the 2019 COVID-19 Practice Plan. 

Videos:

Down the Line:

https://youtu.be/q0uLkhWxfAU

Face On:

https://youtu.be/J_RWg62aJiw

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to My Swing (WillieT)
  • iacas changed the title to My Swing (Williet)
  • Administrator

We ask that you embed videos, and your videos can't be embedded (because they're private, you will want to make them unlisted):

The link could not be embedded because youtu.be does not allow embedding of that video.

P.S. Plus, "studio" links won't work - they're how you edit videos in your account.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

7 hours ago, iacas said:

We ask that you embed videos, and your videos can't be embedded (because they're private, you will want to make them unlisted):

P.S. Plus, "studio" links won't work - they're how you edit videos in your account.

Thanks Erik.  I noticed I was having  trouble on YouTube itself and thought I fixed it.  Will go back and rework so they will post properly.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Shot with Iphone 11 in Slo-Mo

Down the Line (6i, full swing):

Caddie View (6i, full swing):

• Thumbs Up 2

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

• Administrator

So, I'd spend some time on your setup. Your arms are out, the grip is likely in the palm… and then I'd work on getting more TURN and having your arms do much less early while they stay very WIDE.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, iacas said:

So, I'd spend some time on your setup. Your arms are out, the grip is likely in the palm… and then I'd work on getting more TURN and having your arms do much less early while they stay very WIDE.

Thanks @iacas for the feedback.  On the grip - I “thought” I had been setting up to be less palmsy.  However, I have a recent glove that has a wonderful hole right at the heel of the palm.  Will work on the grip first.  Do you see my having the arms “out” as a driver in the palmy grip?  Will work on that first.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

• Administrator
1 hour ago, WillieT said:

Thanks @iacas for the feedback.  On the grip - I “thought” I had been setting up to be less palmsy.  However, I have a recent glove that has a wonderful hole right at the heel of the palm.  Will work on the grip first.  Do you see my having the arms “out” as a driver in the palmy grip?  Will work on that first.  

Kind of a chicken or egg thing.

• Thumbs Up 1

My 2c worth:

If you're going to do that thing where you start your address with your feet and legs together and then move them, that is usually done as a way of getting the ball position correct for your front foot, just inside your heel for most shots. Then you move your back foot back an appropriate distance. More than one way to do things, obviously, but if you're going to have a deliberate routine, you might ask yourself what it is actually achieving. If you are going to be deliberate about your setup, you may as well have that deliberation working in your favour to get your ball position right.

Edited by Shorty
  • Thumbs Up 1

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

15 hours ago, Shorty said:

My 2c worth:

If you're going to do that thing where you start your address with your feet and legs together and then move them, that is usually done as a way of getting the ball position correct for your front foot, just inside your heel for most shots. Then you move your back foot back an appropriate distance. More than one way to do things, obviously, but if you're going to have a deliberate routine, you might ask yourself what it is actually achieving. If you are going to be deliberate about your setup, you may as well have that deliberation working in your favour to get your ball position right.

Thanks @Shorty.  There is a reason for the deliberateness.  In 2016, I was in a motorcycle wreck where I lost all the toes on my left, i.e. lead, foot that included devolving the skin on half the foot which meant split skin grafts that are paper thin.  I have had to “learn” trust that the foot can handle weight, torque, etc. of the swing.  To compensate, I do things like turn the lead foot out, get weight forward early, etc.  Hence the work to be deliberate on the setup - to have it where I know my foot is okay.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

Update - really been working on the setup.  Had opportunity to go to the course twice in the past couple of days.  Applying the changes has resulted in far different ball flights.  Typically with the driver it is a fade to slice, the past two rounds it has been straight (well it looked straight) to draw or even hard hook (not quite a duck hook).  With fairways/hybrids - similar flights as driver.  Irons have gone from fade-slices to hard hooks.  

Question:  Have I "over corrected" the grip to where it is too strong?   

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

• Administrator
6 hours ago, WillieT said:

Question:  Have I "over corrected" the grip to where it is too strong?   

Possibly. Tough to say without seeing anything.

Got the below videos uploaded (somehow recorded and edited in slo-mo, but translated to reg speed when uploaded to YouTube) - been working on the setup (on the grip change suggested) and overall turn, especially after inpact.  IF I can get these revised to "slo-mo" I will repost. 

6i Setup - Caddie View: 

Same swing series - 6i DTL: 

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

When you edit on an iPhone in Photos, there will be a slider at the bottom that allows you to place where the slow motion will be. The image below is from my iPad, but the iPhone is similar. The vertical dashed lines are the edit for full versus slow motion. Move the large vertical slider to where you want the slow motion to begin. The close dashed vertical lines are full speed and the spaced ones are slow motion.

DF8940F5-B8E2-48F2-A9CA-F18E43AC614C.jpeg

You can also edit the length of the clip and the orientation. Here is a raw clip that I took in MirrorVision. The angled brackets at the end of the reel view are the length sliders. When you tap them, it allows you to trim length. MirrorVision also films in a different orientation, so if I do landscape, I have to flip it. The flip icon on the left let’s me do that. You can see below, if highlighted the length in yellow.

1577799A-E2D7-43F8-B286-67923D978E89.jpeg

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

53 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

When you edit on an iPhone in Photos, there will be a slider at the bottom that allows you to place where the slow motion will be. The image below is from my iPad, but the iPhone is similar. The vertical dashed lines are the edit for full versus slow motion. Move the large vertical slider to where you want the slow motion to begin. The close dashed vertical lines are full speed and the spaced ones are slow motion.

DF8940F5-B8E2-48F2-A9CA-F18E43AC614C.jpeg

You can also edit the length of the clip and the orientation. Here is a raw clip that I took in MirrorVision. The angled brackets at the end of the reel view are the length sliders. When you tap them, it allows you to trim length. MirrorVision also films in a different orientation, so if I do landscape, I have to flip it. The flip icon on the left let’s me do that. You can see below, if highlighted the length in yellow.

1577799A-E2D7-43F8-B286-67923D978E89.jpeg

Thanks Boog - I thought I had edited like you said.  I will walk back through again.  Funny thing - I can edit and save through Google Drive to the desktop and repost from there.  Go figure when it is filmed/ edited in slo-mo, and the upload from iPhone to YouTube it changes to regular speed.  

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

• Administrator

https://thesandtrap.com/how-to/upload-slowmo/

If I AirDrop a file to my Mac and upload it to YouTube from there, that also works out just fine.

• Thumbs Up 1

I'm not an instructor (or even a good golfer) and you should listen to those who are, but I mention this because it's something that I have fought a lot in the past - the dreaded chicken wing. I think I see that a bit here with you, too:

ChickenWing.jpg.cb4962e2e859e19d736eb2b68a4a23c0.jpgChickenWing2.jpg.7f2f1a8127888f3bd84d56a079d14795.jpg

@iacashas a video on Key 3 that shows his after impact look here:

Here's an image from that link:

Chickenwing3.jpg.dadd95d5132a764e0abf53cc1bf044ba.jpg

I hope this helps.

• Thumbs Up 2

@Zippo - thanks man for the link.  It will definitely get me "de-winged".   

Ping G410 3w R flex
Srixon Q Star

2 hours ago, WillieT said:

@Zippo - thanks man for the link.  It will definitely get me "de-winged".   

Be patient and do it slowly. Your left foot issue may try and limit you from pushing the left hip back, but keep at it. I do a lot of half swing punch shots to get to that position and my left arm still bends a bit at impact.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave