IGNORED

2022 Golf Trip Ideas

Lugowskins
Note: This thread is 819 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I had a really good trip last year. I went down to the Jackson Mi area played a total of 9 courses in 5 days I plan on doing the same type of schedule this year but debating on where to go. I'll be staying in Michigan most likely heading to the west side of the state Grand Rapids/ Muskegon area. I'm not trying to break the bank I much prefer cheaper longer courses so if anyone knows the area at all and has any recommendations it would save me a lot of time researching all the courses in the area!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

You could look at the courses NLU played on their most recent season of Tourist Sauce.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

3 hours ago, iacas said:

You could look at the courses NLU played on their most recent season of Tourist Sauce.

I have! Definitely have a few of them on my list I love that series

On 1/11/2022 at 6:59 AM, Lugowskins said:

I'll be staying in Michigan most likely heading to the west side of the state Grand Rapids/ Muskegon area. I'm not trying to break the bank I much prefer cheaper longer courses so if anyone knows the area at all and has any recommendations it would save me a lot of time researching all the courses in the area!

I am not sure what qualifies as cheaper, what radius from GR you want to include, and if you have access to private courses.  Mines (DeVries course), Pilgrim's Run, American Dunes, Thornapple Pointe, Quail Valley, and a few privates (Cascade Hills, Egypt Valley, Blythefield and Thousand Oaks) are potential options. No info on Muskegon golf.  

• Informative 1

19 hours ago, KMP said:

I am not sure what qualifies as cheaper, what radius from GR you want to include, and if you have access to private courses.  Mines (DeVries course), Pilgrim's Run, American Dunes, Thornapple Pointe, Quail Valley, and a few privates (Cascade Hills, Egypt Valley, Blythefield and Thousand Oaks) are potential options. No info on Muskegon golf.  

Nice thank you Mines and Pilgrims Run are on my list I'll look into the others! I'm willing to spend the money but sounds like I've got 3 friends going with me this year and some of them are pretty stingy when it comes to spending money so plan is for 7 rounds total with probably 2 of them being over 50$ green fees.

I want my whole 4some to go but in order to convince them I know I'll need to make it as convenient and inexpensive as possible. While I would like to go to the west side of the state (I live in the middle of the thumb) talking them into the 3 hour drive will be tough. So I put this together yesterday focusing more around a day at Eagle Eye resort, which is just over an hour away, play there and Hawk Hollow then work down to Jackson and and over to Ann Arbor. Quick math has it at just $646 for 7 rounds of golf and 4 nights of lodging so with food and fuel should be easily under a grand. I could cut that number down by 150 or more going with cheaper motels instead of Airbnbs (the ones I found looked pretty sweet though) and avoiding the night at Eagle Eye for cheaper courses in the Jackson area that I found last year. 

If I can get all 4 to go I'm going to try to get them to do a little double elimination match play tournament on the trip a-la what No Laying Up did during their latest Tourist Sauce in Michigan. Found a bracket and can be done in 4/5 rounds so having one round a day be towards the competition would encompass the whole trip and I think would be a lot of fun.

image.thumb.png.c6a49233d200215ae898f7e562feb443.png

12 hours ago, Lugowskins said:

Nice thank you Mines and Pilgrims Run are on my list I'll look into the others! I'm willing to spend the money but sounds like I've got 3 friends going with me this year and some of them are pretty stingy when it comes to spending money so plan is for 7 rounds total with probably 2 of them being over 50$ green fees.

I want my whole 4some to go but in order to convince them I know I'll need to make it as convenient and inexpensive as possible. While I would like to go to the west side of the state (I live in the middle of the thumb) talking them into the 3 hour drive will be tough. So I put this together yesterday focusing more around a day at Eagle Eye resort, which is just over an hour away, play there and Hawk Hollow then work down to Jackson and and over to Ann Arbor. Quick math has it at just $646 for 7 rounds of golf and 4 nights of lodging so with food and fuel should be easily under a grand. I could cut that number down by 150 or more going with cheaper motels instead of Airbnbs (the ones I found looked pretty sweet though) and avoiding the night at Eagle Eye for cheaper courses in the Jackson area that I found last year. 

If I can get all 4 to go I'm going to try to get them to do a little double elimination match play tournament on the trip a-la what No Laying Up did during their latest Tourist Sauce in Michigan. Found a bracket and can be done in 4/5 rounds so having one round a day be towards the competition would encompass the whole trip and I think would be a lot of fun.

You may find discounted prices for Leslie Park and Coyote Preserve.   If you have seniors in your group there will be a discount at Sugarbush.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

8 hours ago, dennyjones said:

You may find discounted prices for Leslie Park and Coyote Preserve.   If you have seniors in your group there will be a discount at Sugarbush.

I figure if I get everyone on board early enough and can start working on tee times before the season I can pull better deals. I want to say it was Cascades that does groupgolfer deals I played there last year for like $18 so I'll keep my eye on that as well as the golf now app there are usually some pretty cheap deals there. I'm the oldest of the group at 31 so no senior discounts just yet lol

Check out Tee Time Golf Pass book

Last year 3 of your courses were listed as discount destinations

Last year's prices:

Calderone was $25 weekday and $40 for 4 players before 1pm

Cascades was $15 M-F and $25 for 4 players on the weekend

Coyote Preserve was $35 M-T before 2; $45 M-Th before 2 and $49 on the weekend from 12-4pm 

There are other savings in the book, usually something like just a cart fee.   The book is $35 and my group definitely gets its money's worth.   Now with Covid and the increase of golfers and the increase in prices I'm not sure what this year will bear.  

13 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

Check out Tee Time Golf Pass book

Last year 3 of your courses were listed as discount destinations

Last year's prices:

Calderone was $25 weekday and $40 for 4 players before 1pm

Cascades was $15 M-F and $25 for 4 players on the weekend

Coyote Preserve was $35 M-T before 2; $45 M-Th before 2 and $49 on the weekend from 12-4pm 

There are other savings in the book, usually something like just a cart fee.   The book is $35 and my group definitely gets its money's worth.   Now with Covid and the increase of golfers and the increase in prices I'm not sure what this year will bear.  

Oh very nice thank you I'll check it out!

On 1/20/2022 at 7:34 AM, Lugowskins said:

I was going to suggest Eagle Eye and Hawk Hollow. You could add Timber Ridge (on Park Lake Road); which has the "Up North" feel with elevation changes and is very reasonably priced. You could also play Forest Akers (West is longer and harder).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14 hours ago, KMP said:

I was going to suggest Eagle Eye and Hawk Hollow. You could add Timber Ridge (on Park Lake Road); which has the "Up North" feel with elevation changes and is very reasonably priced. You could also play Forest Akers (West is longer and harder).

Excellent choices and Forest Akers - West is in the Tee Times book!

Note: This thread is 819 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!