IGNORED

Are the Lessons I'm taking Worth it?

Arsenal Forever
Note: This thread is 5883 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

To get better? I thought that's what everyone took lessons for.

Not always...some people take lessons to work on a certain swing flaw...(which does get you better). Lessons for me were more about certain things that I knew I needed help with, not my all-around game.

Hope that makes sense.... You know what you might do is focus on one thing, fix that, then move to the next....don't try and correct everything at once. You need to tell the instructor what you want to work on. IMO it's easier on you and him that way. It's like building a house...roof doesn't get put up first does it? Work on your posture until it's second nature, then move on to your grip, then move to your swing...or whatever....you get the point.

I've been playing for about a year and just recently received 5 lessons over a 5 week period. The reason I decided lessons were needed was the inconsistency of my game. I figured there were numerous things that I was doing wrong. The PGA instructor informed me that I was doing a lot of things correctly, but there were some basics that were limiting my consistency....Grip, club path, etc.

Changing my grip was completely frustrating at first. I felt powerless with a neutral grip. However, after a couple of weeks of work I realized that the grip is a HUGE determining factor in the swing. I am now hitting the ball better than ever and my confidence has gone through the roof.

So, stick with the lessons and work on the items in between. It will pay off.

R9 460 9.5
R9 3-Wood
Irons AP1 4-PW
Wedge X-Forged 62*, 56*, 50*
Studio Select 34" MS Newport 2 TP Red

Well, this will drive Mr. Bridy insane, but is there any way I can get by and keep going with my strong grip?

At least until the end of the High School golf season (late May) where I can begin messing with my swing without worrying of a dip in performance, letting the team down?
What's in my Mizuno Aerolite Stand bag:

r7 460 10.5*, stock Stiff Flex Shaft
CLK Fli-Hi 17* hybrid, Prolaunch Blue Stiff shaft
Slingshot Tour 21*, DGS300 shaft Baffler DWS Hybrid 26*, Aldila NVS-HL shaft MP-60 5-PW DG S300 shafts Tour Action 900 54*/12* WedgeVokey Spin Milled 58*/08* Wedge...

Yes. You will have to ensure that your arms do not catch up with the center of your body until after impact.

To demonstrate. swing a club straight out in front of you and watch the clubface. It is virtually impossible to close the clubface without straining your hands until after the clubhead passes the center of your body or chest if you like.

Tom

Well, this will drive Mr. Bridy insane, but is there any way I can get by and keep going with my strong grip?

You can keep your strong grip and hit straight shots if you make sure to clear your lower body (hips, abs, and chest) like Fred Couples:

http://www.golfdigest.com/instructio...ouples?slide=7

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

To help with posture and lower back strength here are some things I've been doing that have helped.

-Squat's
-Lunges
-Back Extensions
-Good Morning's
-Multiple Ab exercises to get a overall stronger core

Good luck, keep up with the lessons.

In my SX76 StaDry
Woods: G15 9.0° BB Stiff, G10 14°
Hybrids: i15 20°, Rapture 24°
Irons: AP2 5-PW
Wedges: SM Vokey 51°, 56°, 60° Putter: Circa '62 No. 2 (Gun Metal Blue) Ball: ProV1

Not to sound mean...but you're hitting into the high 80's low 90's and sometimes higher then that, and you're worried about the team? I'm assuming these are tourneys/matches? Sounds a bit odd to be worried about the team. Most good high school golfers are shooting par or under and if not then into the mid/high 70's. Again, I'm not trying to be mean, but why go through a huge golf swing adjustment only to worry about your scores? In other words...you should have waited to make the adjustments.

My kid is a junior player. His swing coach would never do a huge change/tweak while competing without a one week break to work on things. Your score will go up. It happens. I will say one of the things that helped my son with his changes/tweaks that his swing coach did with him...was mirrors. We hung a couple of mirrors in the garage where he can see the change, once he has the "feel" of it...then he's fine. I wish you luck.

~disclaimer~ I'm just a golf mom.

Not to sound mean...but you're hitting into the high 80's low 90's and sometimes higher then that, and you're worried about the team? I'm assuming these are tourneys/matches? Sounds a bit odd to be worried about the team. Most good high school golfers are shooting par or under and if not then into the mid/high 70's. Again, I'm not trying to be mean, but why go through a huge golf swing adjustment only to worry about your scores? In other words...you should have waited to make the adjustments.

I'm sure they are, and good for them, as that's very hard, but on my team there's not much separating me from the #1. No schools care about HS Golf around here so not much money is put into it. Doesn't mean it means the same to me.

Slingshot Tour 21*, DGS300 shaft Baffler DWS Hybrid 26*, Aldila NVS-HL shaft MP-60 5-PW DG S300 shafts Tour Action 900 54*/12* WedgeVokey Spin Milled 58*/08* Wedge...

In no way is this directed at you, nor is this meant to be rude in any way, but it seems a lot of people like to recycle the advice "Work on your chipping and putting more!" or "No, no, no. Buy more lessons instead!"

Working on chipping and putting moving backwards is how i basically progressed the game and got where I am. I learned so much more feel of the game through practicing chipping and pitching than I would have otherwise. Plus you get to hit at actual targets and make little games of it with yourself. I found it much more fun than trying to figure out a 5 iron. So there is some truth in it. I wouldnt completely discount that advice. Weather or not you own what you learn and turn into something thats useful for you is the key.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I'm sure they are, and good for them, as that's very hard, but on my team there's not much separating me from the #1. No schools care about HS Golf around here so not much money is put into it. Doesn't mean it means the same to me.

And this has what to do with anything? Our high school doesn't add much money to the coffers for our golf team. Doesn't mean the kids can't play.

You never did state why you went through this adjustment during the tourneys. I'm sure you are a great golfer, but I read a couple of your posts/threads and it sounds to me...that you do have some work to do, not just with your swing, but with your mental game. I wish you nothing but success, but you may want to wait until after your season is complete, with the high school, to implement these changes if you plan on having/keeping your scores in the high 80's low 90's during tourneys/matches. Like I said, I'm just a golf mom, but I will say when my kid is tweaked scores go up for at least a few days, then they drop way down. Just a thought.

And this has what to do with anything? Our high school doesn't add much money to the coffers for our golf team. Doesn't mean the kids can't play.

The money has a lot to do with it.

I don't really pay much attention to it, but I'm sure our taxpayers would be less than pleased to see our school hired and paid coach hitting more balls on his own than doing actual coaching. Other coaches in the past have done this too, sometimes worse, so that goes to show you how carefully the program is being inspected, looked out for, etc. I'm well aware I need mental adjustments unfortunately, but then there are things like that which make me second guess ever being able to, say, perhaps get down to a single digit handicap. I'm extremely weak mentally and collapse easily, and it is seemingly impossible to break.

That comes with age.....good god your only 16...don't worry about it.

I don't understand your logic.

Yes, I am, and yes, I've got time to grow both physically and perhaps more importantly, mentally. But doesn't mean I shouldn't want to excel now, or at least try.

I don't understand your logic.

The logic is your only going to be as mentally tough as your age will allow.

It takes many more life experiences to gain mental toughness. I didn't say you can't try, just don't expect to much. You seem like a good kid, a little to hard on yourself though.

The logic is your only going to be as mentally tough as your age will allow.

I understand what you're getting at.

It's true though, but it's very odd. Obviously golf is a game like no other, but I also really enjoy playing soccer for instance, and when I play that, I'm very confident, maybe even too confident, although I'm probably much better at golf compared to my colleagues than soccer. So it's almost like mentally I take a step back age-wise when I'm playing golf instead. I just need perhaps a tip to try to just clear my mind on the course, although it may not work. I actually already write "DGU" on my golf balls below the numbers, meaning "Don't Give Up," just as a little self memo, but that's faired not so well so far. Or at least, not different.

That comes with age.....good god your only 16...don't worry about it.

You have got to be kidding...right? There are kids out there that are playing big junior tournaments that are 12. Are you implying they don't need mental strength? It's a tough and demanding game/sport. If the OP wants to play collegiate golf...yup, he needs to get tough. As an example there is an 11 year old girl that plays on my kids home course that is incredible. Beautiful swing, great course management and has a swing coach that works with her. She beat my kid, yeah he played off the tips, her off the ladies, him with an index of 1.2, her I'm not sure of, in 9 holes, by 2 strokes. But here's the kicker, she can't preform in tourneys. She doesn't have enough exposer, and she is just learning.

Now, her parents are pushing her much more then I'd want to push a young girl like that, but she isn't my kid. But..I will say, the mental part of the game is just as important as the mechanical side of the game. I feel golf has taught my son a heck of a lot more about life then my hubby and I could have taught him. Failure, risks, winning, losing, etiquette, respect ....and so much more. I have many reasons to thank the game of golf for teaching my son many things, one of them being mental strength.

You have got to be kidding...right? There are kids out there that are playing big junior tournaments that are 12. Are you implying they don't need mental strength? It's a tough and demanding game/sport. If the OP wants to play collegiate golf...yup, he needs to get tough. As an example there is an 11 year old girl that plays on my kids home course that is incredible. Beautiful swing, great course management and has a swing coach that works with her. She beat my kid, yeah he played off the tips, her off the ladies, him with an index of 1.2, her I'm not sure of, in 9 holes, by 2 strokes. But here's the kicker, she can't preform in tourneys. She doesn't have enough exposer, and she is just learning.

Wow hold on.....If you would read what I said...He is young and getting mentally tough comes with age. I told him not to worry about it so much, he will develop a much better mental game over time. I didn't once say it wasn't important, just that he shouldn't beat himself up mover the lack of it....

If you think a 11-16 y/o is mentally tough...They might be mentally tough around kids their own age, but in life...your dreaming. Have a nice day..........

Wow hold on.....If you would read what I said...He is young and getting mentally tough comes with age. I told him not to worry about it so much, he will develop a much better mental game over time. I didn't once say it wasn't important, just that he shouldn't beat himself up mover the lack of it....

Sorry i didn't mean to get your hackles up. My apologies.

I do think that kids that are in a sport type of atmosphere are more mature, and are bit more mature then their friends that don't partake in sports. Heck I could be wrong. Anywho..this topic is going off topic. Enough said.

Note: This thread is 5883 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!