IGNORED

Is the Masters overrated?

Ogg
Note: This thread is 5870 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Is the Masters overrated?

• Yes
    • No

Is the Master's overrated?

Weak field? Maybe.

The why it may be weak is the beauty of it. It's hard to believe that 78 years after its inception, the Tournament Committee still (pretty much) follows what Bobby Jones wanted. There will always be amateur champs and past Champions. There are people who qualify on some standard I don't even know about. Whatever, it ends up as a living tribute to Robert Tyre Jones.

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

Arguments like "is Augusta overrated" are typical of the crap festering from today's overly bored sports journalists and broadcasters. People are so sports crazy that they'll watch the boob tube for hours on end to suck in this garbage, only to spew it out at the water color the next morning.

The Masters is, and always has been an invitational. Just because they don't have the largest field doesn't really mean much. This tournament is different than other majors, and always has been. In other words, just because they don't feature different golf courses, or the hardest golf course, doesn't make it anything less the epitome of what golf is all about. Tradition, competition, prestige, gamesmanship, and so on.

The greatest golfers in the world dream of winning this tournament. Why? Because there is no other like it. The Masters is not, and never will be "overrated." But then again, this is just another semantic argument, which will never be resolved.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

I haven't read any of the other comments I just saw the title and about jumped out of my seat. The Masters overrated? Blasphemy sir. Absolute blasphemy. The weak field is one of the best parts. Bobby Jones wanted amateurs to play and he wanted them to win. And the old timers playing is part of the tradition. It's a tradition unlike any other. This tournament is perfect in my opinion. Everything from the honorary starter to lifetime exemptions is what make the tournament what it is. Not to mention, it's Augusta. How can anything be bad when it's conducted at that golf course? I hope heaven is as nice as Augusta National G.C.

Hi-Bore XLS Tour Driver
Steelhead III: 3 Wood
Bobby Jones Jesse Ortiz Hybrid
i3+: 3-9 Irons
Vokey Black Nickel: PW, 52, 56, 60 Bettinardi A-02 Putter NXT Tour

No, The Masters isn't overrated in my opinion.

To me, the event is more than about just the golf tournament. It's about tradition, family and memory. I hear the "Augusta" tune on the broadcast and memories start flooding back of watching it with my dad. I love the fact that traditionally, the final round falls around Easter Sunday (though not this year because Easter Sunday came early). I also love that fact Augusta National demands that only 4 minutes of ads per hour aired on the broadcast. That is true respect for the television patrons. :)

As a kid, I remember being sick with the flu in 1986 when Nicklaus won his sixth, watching it on a 13" B&W; television. Greg Norman's collapse in 96, Tiger's blowout in '97 and his infamous chip-in on '05. Mickelson finally getting one in 04...awesome stuff.

I plan on visiting my folks tomorrow and watching the Masters again with my dad. I'm sure I'll get a little teary-eyed sitting there with him and enjoying his company. That's what the Masters is to me, anyway. :)

New Slogan for the PGA Tour in 2008:

"These guys are good....but we all know that you only watch if Tiger is playing."

Note: This thread is 5870 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!