IGNORED

Is the Masters overrated?

Ogg
Note: This thread is 5870 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Is the Masters overrated?

• Yes
    • No

Is the Master's overrated?

Of course, Augusta is a phenomenal course and gorgeous with the dogwoods and azaleas in bloom and it is the first Major of the year.

But given that the tournament field is only 94 players and it is the weakest field of any of the majors and weaker than many of the tournaments on the Tour, is it time to say that the Men of the Masters need to rethink their logic?

Read this article on the only people that can contend at the Master's:

http://msn.foxsports.com/golf/story/...ld-win-Masters

I personally love the tournament but sometimes I have this thought in the back of my mind that the MOTM need to change the field. They changed the course, why not change the field now?

This is not a thread to start a flame war either, just to make people think a little bit.
In my bag:
Driver : 905R 9.5*
3 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 15*
5 Wood: Big Bertha Titanium 19*
Irons : 755Wedges: Vokey 50* Wedges: 588 DSG 56* Putter: 2 Ball Lined Blade 35Ball : ProV1

Seriously, I dont think it's over-rated at all. I think it's one of the tournaments outside of the WGC's that brings together the elite competition around the world. I still think it ranks behind the British and the US Open in terms of destroying one's morale and psyche, but I dont think its over-rated at all...

Nike VR S Covert Tour Driver 2.0, 8.5* S
Nike VR S Covert Tour 3-Wood (15*) S
Nike VR Forged Split Cavity (2-5)

Nike VR Forged TW Blades (6-PW)

Titleist Vokey SM4 54* Wedge

Nike VR X3X Wedge 58*

Nike Method Core 1 Putter

Titleist ProV1

"Hakuna Matata - It means no worries..."

It definately has a weaker field than the other majors... but I absolutely love it. It is always held at Augusta which is special because we KNOW the holes and remember spectacular shots from every angle of the course. It is the most SPECIAL major for many, and I can understand why. Also, it is the one major where we get to see lots of birdies... OK I guess we see that at the Open sometimes... but it is still cool. Maybe it is something intangible, but the Masters is just a perfect way to start the season.

Not overrated in my opinion... and I don't really care if they change up the way the field is made up, the top players will be there either way.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

no, the masters in not overrated- it is the most special of tournaments.

Agreed 100%!!!

Rick T.
A Big Equipment Freak!!!
Life is too short not to tried everything out there

In the BagDriver: SuperQuad 10.5 REG BABYWoods: TP 3 or 5 woods R7 stiffIrons: AP1 4-PW w/Project X 5.5Wedge: Spin milled 54 (bent to 52) 56 & Special Grind "P" 60Putter: Gauge Design Japan " The Balde"Ball:...

Is the Master's overrated?

I agree that the Masters is overrated. As already stated the field is not as strong as the other majors.

I read the article and I agree some of the past champions who aren't the golfers they once were are extremely unlikely to contend mainly: Raymond Floyd, Sandy Lyle, Mark O'Meara, Gary Player, and Fuzzy Zoeller. However I do think Bernhard Langer has a good chance. I also understand the reasoning behind the belief that first time players in the Masters are unlikely to be a factor. The statements I have the biggest problems with are that the Australians don't have a shot at winning, and that players who he lists as short drivers don't have a chance. Elimanating someone because he is from Australia is rediculous. Goosen, Donald, and Rose all drive the ball a decent distance, and as I write this Donald hasn't missed a green.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

Come on!, i suppose the Masters does not have the biggest of fields but it definitely has the best players playing in it from around the world in the most picturesque, spectacular arena that golf has. Just because its not boom boom everywhere and then a flop shot, that doesnt mean that it isnt watchable.

Absolutely NOT!!
My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

I think the US Open is much bigger than the masters...its the toughest test in golf for good reason

"People think the size of the head is most important. Wrong. It's getting a quality shaft. test different shafts to see which goes the straightest. Also, more degrees of loft on the head is better than less. Eleven degrees is about right."

Absolutely not. The tradition and the history of the tournament alone is enough to hold it in high regard--not to mention how memorable it is (the holes and the great shots and positioning we are all familiar with) and the prestige any player can get from winning a green jacket.

It's no US Open, but to say the Masters is overrated is to say Tiger's a 16 handicap or I'm Elvis Presley.
"Shouldn't you be going faster? I mean, you're doing 40 in a 65..."

Driver: Burner TP 9.5*
3 Wood: 906F2 15*
2I: Eye 23I-PW: 3100 I/HWedges: Vokey Spin-Milled 56*06, MP-R 52*07/60*05Putter: Victoria IIBall: Pro V1xCheck out my new blog: Thousand Yard DriveHome Course: Kenton County...

• Administrator
I think the US Open is much bigger than the masters...its the toughest test in golf for good reason

That doesn't answer the question.

I don't think it's over-rated.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The Masters is far from over-rated. The field may not be as strong as some of the other majors, but are any golfers with a legitimate chance of winning a green jacket absent this year? Nope. That's all that matters.

The U.S. Open will always be my favorite major, but The Masters is a very close second.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

71 years of prior Masters rich in tradition and spectacular finishes says no.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Honestly, it is so far from over rated it is rediculous. If anything it's under rated !! If you ask any hardcore golf fan or professional golfer their dreams are about either playing in or attending this event.
"You lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you'll suck forever."

HiBORE XLS 9.5* Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | HiBORE XLS 15* 3w Fujikura Fit On (Gold) (s) shaft | 585h 21* | MP 57 4-pw w/Dynamic Gold s-300 shaft | 53* 56* Rac Chrome 60* Rac Satin | Monza Corza DB 35" | Tour ix
Home...

I don't think its overrated. I started the "tradition or snobbery" thread, and I still don't think so. Augusta has lots of chances to sit back on its laurels (and there are a lot) and just be great tradition. But they seem to work really hard to change with the game, and challenge the players. Additionally, they seem dedicated to showcasing the beauty and traditions of the game.

I still have a bone to pick over Tiger-shirking, but I don't think that the Masters is overrated AT ALL.

The Masters is arguably the greatest event in all sports. To even consider it "over-rated" is ridiculous. No other event has the rich, enduring tradition, class, and prestige as the Masters.

---"Be the ball"---

IN THE Hoofer Vantage BAG:
Driver: F-Speed 10.5°, Aldila NV-F
Woods: F-Speed LD 3 & 5, Aldila NV-FIrons: S9 3-PW, NS-Pro 900XH SteelWedges: CG10 52° & Spin Milled 56.10Putter: Studio Select Newport 2Ball: Pro V1x SG4

Note: This thread is 5870 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!