IGNORED

Your thoughts on possible new clubs.

Note: This thread is 5880 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ok I'm looking at/thinking about getting new clubs. It most likely won't be until the end of this season or even next season. I'm looking at the Slazenger Raw Distance line. I haven't found many reviews of these clubs but I like the look. I priced out the clubs online at Golf Galaxy. The iron set (3-PW) is on sale right now for $299.99, Driver is $79.99 (9.5*, 10.5*, and maybe 11.5*), Hybrids are $79.99 (3/5/7), Fairway Woods are $79.99 (3/5/7). My question is outside of the iron set and driver would I be better off going with a hybrid or a fairway wood or both? I don't play very many long courses so I'd be ok with just getting a driver and a hybrid or leaving out the driver and getting a fairway wood and a hybrid. What do you guys think would be the best way to go? I will most likely stick with the Slazenger line so all clubs that I get would be Slazy's. Also if I did get a driver what degree would you suggest? Thanks guys and gals.

In my Pro-Walker stand bag:

Driver: Founders Club "The Judge" Graphite shaft (benched for bad play)
3-wood: 15* steel shaft
5 & 7-wood: Velocitized BBT Oversized Graphite Shaft Medium Flex 21* & 25*3-iron: Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge (benched for bad play)4-SW: Maker's Pride irons steel shaftsP...

Ok I'm looking at/thinking about getting new clubs. It most likely won't be until the end of this season or even next season. I'm looking at the Slazenger Raw Distance line. I haven't found many reviews of these clubs but I like the look. I priced out the clubs online at Golf Galaxy. The iron set (3-PW) is on sale right now for $299.99, Driver is $79.99 (9.5*, 10.5*, and maybe 11.5*), Hybrids are $79.99 (3/5/7), Fairway Woods are $79.99 (3/5/7). My question is outside of the iron set and driver would I be better off going with a hybrid or a fairway wood or both? I don't play very many long courses so I'd be ok with just getting a driver and a hybrid or leaving out the driver and getting a fairway wood and a hybrid. What do you guys think would be the best way to go? I will most likely stick with the Slazenger line so all clubs that I get would be Slazy's. Also if I did get a driver what degree would you suggest? Thanks guys and gals.

Since it sounds like money is a major issue and If it's one or the other, I would go with a driver and 3 wood. Hybrids are nice but not critical.

I say this so you can still practice w/ a driver...that's one club that needs some swings to feel comfortable. As far as loft...I use 11.5...w/o knowing how you swing, distance, trajectory, etc. I can't really give you a solid answer..my guess would be 10.5min-12.5max

As far as your driver degree, it all depends on what you want, Do you want a higher ball flight? Or Lower, IF you are looking to hit it higher I'd suggest maybe a 10* or a 10.5* If lower, obviouslly youd go lower. You dont want something too high of a degree because later on as your progress it is a real pain hitting it real high when you have certain conditions where you need to hit it low.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

As far as your driver degree, it all depends on what you want, Do you want a higher ball flight? Or Lower, IF you are looking to hit it higher I'd suggest maybe a 10* or a 10.5* If lower, obviouslly youd go lower. You dont want something too high of a degree because later on as your progress it is a real pain hitting it real high when you have certain conditions where you need to hit it low.

maybe, but to get the most distance you should use a higher degree club. Even when you start swinging in the 90MPHs, you can use a 12 degree

maybe, but to get the most distance you should use a higher degree club. Even when you start swinging in the 90MPHs, you can use a 12 degree

I agree... less than 10-10.5 is too low for most beginers. We don't know his swing speed, so it's tough to say for sure, but as larlev said 10.5-12.5 would likely be about right. I don't know the quality of Slazenger clubs, but I would check some used sets and component companies as well. Snake Eyes, Maltby, Wishon, and SMT are good component options. The hybrid set, the FW set and the iron set don't really go together... one would likely hit many of these clubs the same distance. Ideally you probably want...

1) a driver 2) a 3-wood or 4-wood 3) a 5-wood or hybrid (18-19*) 4) an iron set 3-PW or some hybrid long iron replacements and 5-PW or something similar 5) a GW, SW, or LW or some combination of such (I would start with SW) problem with the set you described is it might not fill your distance gaps and you'll end up replacing stuff and having duplicates... I would say you can get a good set as I described eiither used or on-sale for $300-$600, depending how well you shop... and don't worry about woods, hybrids and iron being the same brand... it makes absolutely no difference. -just my 2 cents
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I started out with an imitation cobra set of clubs until I learned how to keep the ball in play on the course. If you're not confident enough to play big courses yet, maybe start with a whole set of cheap new clubs or used clubs. If you spend a lot on beginner clubs now, you'll regret paying for them when you're ready to move on to a better set. Plus if you're learning on these hybrids, you'll have to learn how to hit a low iron again all over again when you move on to better clubs.

If I were you, I would look at the same specs of the clubs, but instead of getting slazenger, get some cheap used clubs of a brand like callaway, taylormade, ping etc.
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

Thanks for the input guys.

Since it sounds like money is a major issue and If it's one or the other, I would go with a driver and 3 wood. Hybrids are nice but not critical.

I won't say that money is an issue but it is kind of. That's not the reason that I'm trying to decide on getting a hybrid over a fairway wood or anything like that. I just thought that the hybrids replaced either the 3, 4, or 5 irons depending on what one you got. I don't see a point in buying a 3-hybrid if I'm already buying a 3 iron in the set. I guess it would make sense if I hit the 3H longer than the 3i. As far as my distance with my driver, I'll be like everyone else and say that with a driver I average about 300 yards.

I WISH. I probably hit my 3 wood plus roll, ABOUT 175 maybe 200. I'm not really sure. I think it's a 10.5*.
I agree... less than 10-10.5 is too low for most beginers. We don't know his swing speed, so it's tough to say for sure, but as larlev said 10.5-12.5 would likely be about right. I don't know the quality of Slazenger clubs, but I would check some used sets and component companies as well. Snake Eyes, Maltby, Wishon, and SMT are good component options. The hybrid set, the FW set and the iron set don't really go together... one would likely hit many of these clubs the same distance. Ideally you probably want...

I wouldn't classify me as a beginner per say but I'd imagine the way I play you might call me a beginner. I don't really understand what you mean by the set won't fill my distance gaps.

IF I were to buy these clubs this is most likely what I would pick up: 1) Driver 2) 3 Wood 3) Iron Set 3-PW 4) One of the other wedges you mentioned if I could find one that I liked. My current set is: 1) Driver 2) 3-Wood 3) 4-SW On the course I play I know that adding a 3 iron or a hybrid of some sort would help out on the par 5's. Would a 3 iron or a hybrid of some sort fill the gap between my 4i and my 3 wood? But this is all relative to distance differences with the new clubs versus my old clubs (if any). Would the newer clubs add distance just because of the change in technology? I believe the Slazenger Iron set is a "hybrid" set of irons what ever that means.
I started out with an imitation cobra set of clubs until I learned how to keep the ball in play on the course. If you're not confident enough to play big courses yet, maybe start with a whole set of cheap new clubs or used clubs. If you spend a lot on beginner clubs now, you'll regret paying for them when you're ready to move on to a better set. Plus if you're learning on these hybrids, you'll have to learn how to hit a low iron again all over again when you move on to better clubs.

I've got a set that I'm currently using. It's an old set (around 10 years old). It's not that I'm not confident enough to play big courses it's just that I don't really like spending the money on them since it's kind of tight right now. I can go and play the executive muni course a couple of times for the price of the longer more expensive courses.

5 & 7-wood: Velocitized BBT Oversized Graphite Shaft Medium Flex 21* & 25*3-iron: Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridge (benched for bad play)4-SW: Maker's Pride irons steel shaftsP...

I hit the Slazenger driver at my GG and was really impressed with the feel. Nice and solid, gave good numbers on the simulator (as good as anything else I've hit). They didn't have any of the irons.

I am a big fan of 5 woods. I find that to be my "go to" club off the tee and 2nd shots on par 5s. I don't carry a 3 wood anymore.

"You can foment revolution or you can cure your slice - life is too short for both" David Owen

WITB*: 2010 winter edition

Driver: AyrtimeFW/hybrid: Distance Master Pro Steel 5w, 7w, 27* hybridIrons: Powerplay 5000 hybrids (6i-SW)Wedge: SMT Durometer 55 degPutter: Z/I Omega mallet*as soon...

I hit the Slazenger driver at my GG and was really impressed with the feel. Nice and solid, gave good numbers on the simulator (as good as anything else I've hit). They didn't have any of the irons.

Thanks for that info. Good to hear someone has tried them and liked the feel. So they didn't have any of the irons to test? Well that sucks.

Maybe mine will if I stop in and look around.

Thanks for the input guys.

I'm sorry I thought when you said...

... Hybrids are $79.99 (3/5/7), Fairway Woods are $79.99 (3/5/7). My question is outside of the iron set and driver would I be better off going with a hybrid or a fairway wood or both?

...that you meant the 3/5/7 was a

set of hybrids or FW for 79.99. you've got the right idea as far as the set goes... I would just try to determine what you hit best, a 5-wood or a 2(18*) or 3(21*) hybrid. I would definately get the driver as another poster mentioned... and as you said the irons come 3-PW, so you may not need any hybrids if you go the 5-wood route, but the hybrids are easier to hit for most people than long irons (especially 3 and 4 irons)... but as you sed the set comes 3-PW. It all comes down to personal preference whether you would rather play an iron or a hybrid. I'm guessing there is no way to order the set a 4-PW or 5-PW and get a hybrid or two? Anyway... I hope I was clear enough... if not just ask. Also, for what it is worth, my wife recently hit the Slazenger hybrid (women's model) and really liked it.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

...that you meant the 3/5/7 was a

Sorry. I guess I could have thrown in there that they were $79.99 a piece. Thanks for your response. You were more than clear now that we are both on the same page.

The clubs that Golf Galaxy is selling are the 2007 models. I was looking through the ads in the newspaper yesterday (Sunday 4/13) and Dick's Sporting Goods is selling the 2008 model Driver, Fairway woods, Hybrids Buy One Get TWO Free. Yes I said Two free. So I looked at their website and seen that they had the 2008 irons listed on there. This year the Iron sets are 5-PW with a 3 and 4 Hybrid. So IF I were to luck into a deal later this year where they are selling the D/FW/Hybrids still for BOG2 what combination would you go with? Should I pick up maybe a 2 hybrid if they had one? Oh and the Drivers are $200 so I'd spend $200 on 3 clubs. Can't beat that deal. I don't think.

A couple of weeks ago I tried out a few drivers at my local Dick's SG store; the Raw Distance driver was one of them.

The Slazy Raw Distance driver is shafted with a Harrison Striper shaft of some sort.
I also tried a couple of HiBore's; one with stock shaft the other with PL Blue and I tried a TM 580XD with stock shaft.

I had a lower launch and very inconsistant spin with the Raw Distance driver compared to the other ones I tried out. The Harrison Striper in R flex seemed firm and had a boardy like feel. My swing speed is in the high 90's.. (98-99) with my HiBore shafted with the PL Blue 65, in an R flex.

I was hoping to like the Raw Distance driver, just so I could take advantage of the "Get two free" special, but the results on the launch monitor pursuaded me to not take the plunge.

A couple of weeks ago I tried out a few drivers at my local Dick's SG store; the Raw Distance driver was one of them.

Thanks for that information.

Interesting, the one I hit had an Aldila shaft in it. I hit an R flex, got my normal 9 deg launch angle and 3000rpm of spin. My SS is 100-103ish, smooth transistion. I was really impressed with the shaft, I remember because I hadn't hit an Aldila that I had really liked.

"You can foment revolution or you can cure your slice - life is too short for both" David Owen

WITB*: 2010 winter edition

Driver: AyrtimeFW/hybrid: Distance Master Pro Steel 5w, 7w, 27* hybridIrons: Powerplay 5000 hybrids (6i-SW)Wedge: SMT Durometer 55 degPutter: Z/I Omega mallet*as soon...

Note: This thread is 5880 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!