IGNORED

Honesty is the ONLY Policy

golf_junkie27
Note: This thread is 5870 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So what if a situation arises where a player breaks a rule but doesn't think he broke a rule. Nobody else saw it. Suppose he breaks a twig off of a tree or branch deep in the woods.

I somehow think you

would have a problem with Joe Golfer who unknowingly to him and all breaks a rule early in the final round that's not televised, but goes on to win the tournament by a stroke. Does that mean it didn't happen? Let callers call in? Fine, then regulate it. Not just the final nine holes on each weekend round for the last six or eight groups.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

• Administrator
I somehow think you

Uhm, in such a situation, how would anyone know?

Does that mean it didn't happen?

It happened, but again, how would anyone know if they didn't SEE it?

Let callers call in? Fine, then regulate it. Not just the final nine holes on each weekend round for the last six or eight groups.

It's not just the final nine holes on each weekend round... Anyone can call in with a penalty they see any time. I'm not sure what you're talking about here.

I know in previous years a fan at a Nationwide Tour event reported a rules violation. No TV coverage, but a fan on a Thursday saw someone break the rules and reported it. Guy is a good friend of mine.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Uhm, in such a situation, how would anyone know?

Uhm, how would anyone know? My point exactly. If the same rule was broken by the same golfer later in the round or down the stretch, it might get picked up by TV, but not earlier.

I thought I made it pretty clear. I'm strictly talking about callers who see a broken rule from the live coverage, which the vast majority of the time covers the final few groups or those in contention on the weekend. Again, regulate it if it's going to be allowed. Why should it only be pertinent to the golfers in contention and not the others?

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

I like the fact that they acknowledged the incident on TV and made it a big deal. The kid did the right thing and educated many in the process in the golfing tenet of integrity.

As far as fans calling rules on pros, I don't really agree with that one, especially if it is after the card is signed and the round is officially complete.

A friend of mine was watching a prominent golfer (major winner) once and saw a clear violation. The golfer did not call it and my buddy stopped being a fan that day. He said it was rules 101 and that it was blatantly ignored. At the time there were only a handful in his gallery and the incident made him sick.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

I think praise for the right thing is a little over the top. I will admit I am glad he did the right thing.

Praising Mr. Thompson is most

certainly not over the top. My guess is that Mr. Thompson does not require affirmation for his actions, though recognition of such a call that results in such tough consequences may be welcome. However, making such a big deal of this on TV may have a salutory effect well beyond Thompson: that is, his act becomes an example to everyone, most especially children, that playing by the rules is important, valued and applauded not because it is easy or results in some advantage, but because it is hard but necessary. And it is an example of what we all should do when no one is watching: self police. It also speaks about the character and integrity that still exists in some sports, especially ours, although sadly lacking in others. Finally, and not to beat too fine a point on this aspect of Mr. Thompson's call: for those of us who have kids, his actions become a parenting opportunity. Here is an example of fine character and sportsmanship that we can point out to our kids, an example made not by some fusty older fellow like their father, but by a young man closer to their age. And here's another example of exactly why we should all applauad Mr. Thompson's actions, as well as the attention it has been given in the media: last year, my eldest daughter called a penalty on herself in a league softball game ( as she ran from third base to home plate, the catcher barely tagged her, but the umpire missed it and called her safe; Katherine immediately went to the umpire and told her she had been tagged ), after which her coach admonished her for telling the umpire she was out. We parents need all the help we can get to teach and give good examples to our children about the neccessity and efficacy of honesty and good sportsmanship. I for one applaud Mr. Thompson, not only for what he did for the game of golf ( affirming to the world that ours remains a game of great character ) but also for providing a brilliant example to our children about proper decision making, the ability to discern right from wrong and the discipline to exercise such discerning judgement before the eyes of the world.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

Rule 18-2b

Ball Moving After Address
If a player’s ball in play moves after he has addressed it (other
than as a result of a stroke), the player is deemed to have moved
the ball and incurs a penalty of one stroke. The ball must be
replaced, unless the movement of the ball occurs after the
player has begun the stroke or the backward movement of the
club for the stroke and the stroke is made.

Driver:  Ping G15 9* with Talamonti 70x shaft
3 Wood/Hybrid:  Taylormade Rescue TP 17*
3-PW Irons:  Ping G15 Green Dot KBS 90 shafts
Gap Wedge:  Cleveland 588 RTG
Sand Wedge:  Cleveland 588 RTGLob Wedge:  Cleveland 588 RTGPutter:  OdysseyBall:  Bridgestone 330-RXS or 330-SBag:  Generic

• Administrator
I thought I made it pretty clear.

Uhm, no... People can only call penalties if they see them.

I don't think that because we don't see everything, that removes our "privilege" or "right" to call them when we DO see them.
I'm strictly talking about callers who see a broken rule from the live coverage, which the vast majority of the time covers the final few groups or those in contention on the weekend. Again, regulate it if it's going to be allowed. Why should it only be pertinent to the golfers in contention and not the others?

And by "regulate if it's going to be allowed" I say yes. Adamantly yes. We can only call the penalties we SEE. We should not be prevented from calling a penalty on someone just because we don't literally see everyone's golf ball at all times the entire tournament (i.e. those who barely make the cut and aren't on TV). We don't even see every shot by the leaders.

If someone cheats "off camera," well, that's between him and the golf gods. If a rule is broken and someone sees it, the player should be penalized. It's pretty black and white to me.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5870 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!