IGNORED

Honesty is the ONLY Policy

golf_junkie27
Note: This thread is 5870 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Today, the amateur, Weaver, called a penalty on himself. He had addressed and grounded his putter when the ball moved a fraction of an inch. He called the official over, had the penalty assessed and then putted.

He was right on the cut line, +4 and was only leading as top amateur medalist. With so much at stake, he did the only thing: the RIGHT THING.

This is why golf is such a unique sport and frankly, the best game that I've ever played. I hate cheaters, I don't care who or how it's done. If you have zero integrity, you should not be playing a game. If you cheat at golf, you cheat at life, period.

I applaud Weaver and hope he finishes below the cut. Does anyone remember this ever happening at a Major?

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

It was Michael Thompson. Thats what your supposed to do as well. If the Official saw the ball move and Thompson went ahead and putted the ball in its new position thats 2 strokes.

I applaud the man for calling the penalty, but thats what the game is built upon, Honesty.
In My Bridgestone Stand Bag:

Driver: TM r7 425 TP (8.5*) Stiff
Wood: TM Ti 5 Wood (18*) Stiff
Irons: TM r7 TP Irons (3-PW) RegularGW LW: TM rac Satin TPs ( 52* 56* 60*)Putter: TM Rossa Monza Spider Balls: Bridgestone B330s

It was actually Thompson from Univ. of Alabama....but ya was pretty damn cool to see...that's one of the reason I love golf, most guys/gals are really decent people.

It was actually Thompson from Univ. of Alabama....but ya was pretty damn cool to see...that's one of the reason I love golf, most guys/gals are really decent people.

Thank you for the correction. I thought it was Weaver.

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Thank you for the correction. I thought it was Weaver.

Weaver is the young man that was in the library at Va Tech while the shootings where going on...

wait, if he grounds the club and the ball moves couldn't he just put the ball back in its original place and then make the putt? with no penalty?

wait, if he grounds the club and the ball moves couldn't he just put the ball back in its original place and then make the putt? with no penalty?

No, he can't. If he did, it's two strokes.

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Ben Crenshaw was visibly distraught over the prospect of this young player losing a stroke. Great sportsmanship from that great champion.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Thompson shot a 78 for a two day total of 151, or +7. What is the cut line?

Khuene shot a 150, and Weaver fired a 156. It would appear that that the fellow who lost the U.S. Amateur to Tiger is the low amateur.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

Thompson shot a 78 for a two day total of 151, or +7. What is the cut line?

Thompson won't make the cut. It's +3 at the moment, +4 is the max it'll be.

Pity - he bogeyed 15,16,17 to end up +7. And had a great 2 putt on 18 for par. Honesty? Yeah - but there is so much pressure on them to "own up" - imagine if he didn't call it on himself but we rang in to the tv stations saying he did? This happened Monty before - he honestly didn't think the ball moved on one occasion yet he was penalised.

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

Honesty? Yeah - but there is so much pressure on them to "own up" - imagine if he didn't call it on himself but we rang in to the tv stations saying he did?

There was another thread about golf etiquette, rules and such. This is the one part of the game that baffles me. A player is expected to play honest golf, there is a scorer and a rules official with every group. If all these people miss something, how is it possible that a caller can decide a player's fate after the round? I'm all for integrity. However, it should be decided on the course and not from a viewer.

It's like me calling MLB to say a ball was fair or that a referee missed a walk, etc. It makes no sense.

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

There was another thread about golf etiquette, rules and such. This is the one part of the game that baffles me. A player is expected to play honest golf, there is a scorer and a rules official with every group. If all these people miss something, how is it possible that a caller can decide a player's fate after the round? I'm all for integrity. However, it should be decided on the course and not from a viewer.

I am 100% with you. It's one of the reasons why I prefer golf over - say soccer - where there is diving/cursing at referees and fouls happen every game. Young Mr. Thompson should be a reminder of how we should entertain "mistakes" on the golf course. Good thread. Rep points :)

WEAPONS:
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

People calling in to point out a rules violation is so ridiculous. Shouldn't be allowed, unless every group is on t.v., as it is unfair to the leaders who catch all of the airtime down the stretch when it matters most.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

if your club is not grounded you don't have to call this penalty i think.
but, when is a club truly grounded?

if i hover the club near the ball at address, and the ball moves, then there is no penalty? right?

same situation but what if I briefly ground it in my right hand before I take my stance (and then hover club)?

R7 TP 8.5* Fuji Speeder x-stiff (heavy,low,fade set)
975F 3W 13.5*
FX Tour Grind Nickel 3-PW +1/2", Rifle 6.5
Vokey SW 52*
CG10 LW 60* 3 dot (14* bounce) Tracy putter 35" (hit R but putt L)+ 1 club TBD...Past home courses: Unicorn GC (Stoneham, MA), Forest Creek GC (Round Rock, TX)Ball: Use...

People calling in to point out a rules violation is so ridiculous. Shouldn't be allowed, unless every group is on t.v., as it is unfair to the leaders who catch all of the airtime down the stretch when it matters most.

The media would tear them apart for being a cheater if they didn't call it upon themselves. Provided they saw it.... It's a shame - but all you have to do is see what happened to Azinger this week or Poulter last month. The media bring golf to the masses.

if your club is not grounded you don't have to call this penalty i think.

I thought that was the rule also - if you don't ground your club and the ball moves - no penalty. Would be welcome to be told the correct ruling - as I try this on a steep slope lie and/or windy conditions.

As for the second one - if you don't have both hands on the club - is that a determination of not addressing the ball? Sounds ok...but i'm only guessing.

WEAPONS:

• Administrator
If all these people miss something, how is it possible that a caller can decide a player's fate after the round? I'm all for integrity. However, it should be decided on the course and not from a viewer.

They're not all paying attention. They're checking their yardages, the wind, whether they have another granola bar or a water in the bag...

So what if a situation arises where a player breaks a rule but doesn't think he broke a rule. Nobody else saw it. Suppose he breaks a twig off of a tree or branch deep in the woods.

In that case, a rule is broken. The player isn't trying to cheat, but has. Nobody else saw it but the people on TV, the player (who didn't think he's cheating), and the caddie (who may not know it either). A rule is still broken. Should TV viewers - who see the rule broken - just shut up? Aren't rules still rules? Players have the obligation to know the rules, but they don't know them all. So you know, I don't have a problem with people calling in. If the player's broken a rule, they've broken a rule and need to be penalized. That they don't call the penalty on themselves - for whatever reason - doesn't change that. I will say that in cases like that, every effort should be made to alert the player PRIOR to signing his scorecard. DQs in those instances are virtually inexcusable.
if your club is not grounded you don't have to call this penalty i think. but, when is a club truly grounded?

Look up the definition... basically, when you can let go of the club and it will no longer fall further. So, resting it on the putting green, deep enough into the rough where it's supported, etc.

same situation but what if I briefly ground it in my right hand before I take my stance (and then hover club)?

You might still be deemed to have caused it to move. Best to avoid ambiguous situations like that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yes, it has happened before at a major...

from wiki : Early in his amateur career, Bobby Jones was in the final playoff of the 1925 U.S. Open at the Worcester Country Club. During the match, his ball ended up in the rough just off the fairway, and as he was setting up to play his shot his iron caused a slight movement of the ball. He immediately got angry with himself, turned to the marshals, and called a penalty on himself. The marshals discussed among themselves and questioned some of the gallery if anyone had seen Jones' ball move. Their decision was that neither they nor anyone else had witnessed any incident, so the decision was left to Jones. Bobby Jones called the two-stroke penalty on himself, not knowing that he would lose the tournament by one stroke. When he was praised for his gesture, Jones replied, "You may as well praise a man for not robbing a bank."

I believe Ian Woosnam called a penalty for having too many clubs at the British Open a couple years ago too.
My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

Today, the amateur, Weaver, called a penalty on himself. He had addressed and grounded his putter when the ball moved a fraction of an inch. He called the official over, had the penalty assessed and then putted.

From the minute I saw the title, I knew what you were talking about. That man is a class act, make the cut or not, I still love him for that.

Note: This thread is 5870 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!