IGNORED

Why don't golf balls float??

DirtCheap
Note: This thread is 5858 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Honestly...
With the massive R&D; they put into golf balls, why can't they make a quality ball that floats in water??

I would spend $4-5 per ball if I knew I wasn't going to lose any to water.

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

Because they would have to reduce the density too much. Think about this: You can have your choice to hit a marble or a cork off the tee (same size and shape). Which one do you think will go farther and by what margin? Would you pay $4 a ball for one that floats but reduces your distance and playability by 1/2 or more?

So after you pay $5 for a ball that floats how do you plan on retrieving it when you hit the ball in to a lake and you can not reach the ball.... hmm plan failed and $5 wasted

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

So after you pay $5 for a ball that floats how do you plan on retrieving it when you hit the ball in to a lake and you can not reach the ball.... hmm plan failed and $5 wasted

also i lose most my balls in rough rarely in water, so i also agree $5 or £2.50 to me wasted

INT Grom

MP600 - UST V2 STIFF SHAFT

PT906F2 UST V2 STIFF SHAFT RESCUE DUAL MP60 Irons CG12 Wedges Redwood Anser Black SatinITS ALL GOOD!! =]

Actually, there are golf balls out there that float already.

A range here in Reno, Nevada at the Grand Sierra Resort is actually all water and you hit to island greens. The balls fly about the same distance as normal golf balls, and they do in fact float (so they can retrieve them).

Not sure where you would go about purchasing said golf balls though...
underparnv

That's how I like my golf. A kick in the face. -Ben

Driver: 983E 8.5* w/ stock stiff flex shaftIrons: MP60 - 2 through 9 irons (swap out the 2 iron for my three wood at some courses)Wedges: 588 Chrome - 47* Pitching Wedge, 53* Gap Wedge, 56* Sand Wedge MP-T Black Ni - 60* Lob WedgePutter:.....

Exactly. Well said.

In My Bag:

Driver: taylormade.gif R11 TP 9˚ -Diamana Kai'li 65
Woods: cleveland.gif Launcher FL 13˚
Hybrids: titleist.gif909H 19˚, 24˚Irons: mizuno.gif MP-53  5-P Wedges:  mizuno.gif MP-T11 50, 54 titleist.gifBlack Nickel 58.08 Putter: cleveland.gifClassic Black Platinum #2 Ball: titleist.gif ProV1x -  Hole-in-one 4/17/09 www.colonialcountryclub.org

Today I would have settled for golf balls that fly! I had the hardest time getting my iron shots in the air. It was maddening I tell ya. Maddening.

In the Bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher Ultralight XL 270

FW: Taylor Made 300 17 degree 
3-PW: Mizuno MX-23

AW: Mizuno TP-T11 52/07 (Bent to 50)
SW: Mizuno TP-T11 56/10

LW: Mizuno TP-T11 60/05

Putter: Original Ping Zing

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour

you'd see plenty more of those aquaman shots if they floated! it would turn some water hazards into bunkers - making them less penal

WEAPONS:
Taylormade R9 10.5 L Grafalloy Prolaunch Platinum stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 15 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade R9 19 NU YS+6 stiff 65g
Taylormade Tour Preferred 4-PW KBS Tour X-Stiff Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 51Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 55Cleveland CG12 RTG+ DSG 59Yes! Tracy II putterTitleist...

to answer the original question, golf balls are more dense than water and do not contain enough air, therefore do not float

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

you'd see plenty more of those aquaman shots if they floated! it would turn some water hazards into bunkers - making them less penal

If everyone had a flat, floating platform that would stay still when they swung, then yes, you would see those shots. I guess everyone will have to go and get one?

But seriously, if golf ball floated, in the middle of a lake, you would be waiting 2 hours for it to float back into you anyway... Rounds would be a bit longer?
Driver Titleist 905R 9.5* (Stiff Prolaunch Blue 65g)
Hybrid: PT 585.H 17 * (Stiff titleist 75g shaft)
Irons: 695.cb 3-9 ( Dynamic Gold S300)
Wedges: 735.CM 47* PW, Vokey 200 series 50.08 Oil Can Vokey Spin Milled 54.10 Tour chrome, Vokey Spin Milled 58.08 Oil canPutter: Wilson Staff Kirk Kurrie #1[CO.....

to answer the original question, golf balls are more dense than water and do not contain enough air, therefore do not float

Wood floats.. Ducks float... Therefore, ducks are made of wood..

Thank you Mr. Science.

On my tombstone: "If this is the worst thing that ever happens to me, I'm doing just fine!"

I remember back in the days when I first started to play golf... well it's about 17 years ago. My sponsor (read parents) thought that these floating balls were economical - enough said we lost them all in the middle of ponds.
Driver: Callaway FT-IQ 10° I-Mix 5w: Callaway X Hybrid: 21º Open CT
4-5: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 6-PW: Alpha C1 Pro
52º, 56º,60º Callaway X-Tour
Putter: Cleveland Classic 4

Honestly...

It would completely change the playing characteristics of the ball. It would fly a shorter distance, be far more affected by the wind, and would be generally useless to most golfers.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It would completely change the playing characteristics of the ball. It would fly a shorter distance, be far more affected by the wind, and would be generally useless to most golfers.

I agree that floating golf balls will have different properties that will not necessarily be beneficial to you. Among things that would be altered to your disadvantage would be drag on the golf ball.

Floating golf balls would be likely to skip across wather hazards in some cases, and course designers and people without floating golf balls wouldn't be too happy with other golfers using them. Beyond that golf companies like to make money, and the more golf balls you loose the more you have to buy, and the more money the golf ball companies make.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

Note: This thread is 5858 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!