IGNORED

Classification of Player by Handicap

sonicblue
Note: This thread is 5993 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Stemming from some other threads where this general question comes up, sort of in fun, sort of serious, I came up with the following:

EDIT: additional band added, and a bit more "poking" across the board, just for you immts007!

Mind you, I didn't really set out looking at it globally, I just took each category on its own and theorized what I thought the differences may be. If anyone thinks I'm way off base, I'll modify. I realize there will be many examples where these descriptions don't apply, but maybe overall, it can provide some real insight, at least IMHO.

For instance, I think the difference between scratch and 0-5, is just a matter of some additional precision off the tee and putting. Also, in the 5-10 (my category, and this makes sense in my case), most of my bogeys come, not from widly being all over, but from "just missing" many greens and having a not-quite-yet-expansive "likely to make" putt range.

Anyways - comments and suggestions welcome, or just read and enjoy. Maybe it even helps someone???

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

I know I am new at this game but I know a few people who are around a 20 and hit pretty good off the tee and don't have to bad of a short game. I think you should add one more category that has like 30 - newbie golfer. IMHO

In the Bag:

Driver: Superquad 10.5 w/ grafalloy Prolaunch Blue
Hybrid: Rescue Dual 22*(4)
Irons: 200 series 3-pwWedge: Rac Satin 52*Wedge: X-18 SW (56*)Wedge: CG10 Black Pearl 60*Putter: Rossa Daytona 1In the other bag:Blackout w/e2Jt Flex-7Reloader-BPMI Pure Energy 68/5000

I would say I fall more into your 5-10 category with an extra column for blow-up holes...... ;)
I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

I think your 10-20 category is pretty accurate for me. What do you classify as 3-putt often?
"When I play with him, he talks to me on every green. He turns to me and says, 'You're away.' "
-Jimmy Demaret referring to Ben Hogan

In The Bag:
Driver: Cleveland HiBore XL (10.5 -conforming)3 Wood: MacGregor V-FOIL5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001Irons: Ben Hogan BH-5 (4-PW)Wedges:52 - Nike SV Tour56 - Cleve...

What sort of 'insight' do you think this chart and its huge generalizations might provide?

"Wow, I suck - I should get some lessons or practice more?"

Personally I think it is mildy insulting and wildy inaccurate.

I, for one am in the mid to high 20's handicap range and yet I generally hit 85 to 90 percent of my fairways (not long, to say the least - 180 to 210yds) and once I get to the green I rarely 3 putt.

I've never seen the point in this kind of shoe-boxing, especially with the insults regarding 'hoping' and 'hula hoops'.

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

I know I am new at this game but I know a few people who are around a 20 and hit pretty good off the tee and don't have to bad of a short game. I think you should add one more category that has like 30 - newbie golfer. IMHO

There's always exceptions, but I can't say I'd ever expect a 20 to have a controlled tee game. Heck, I'm an 8 and hesitate to say I have one! Besides, my greenside game for a 20 leaves open the possibility that you hit reasonable short shots; it's more a matter of what the goal for someone at that level probably is. They're not going for makes, or really judging speed/break, they're just going for non-chunks and generally at the hole. Do you think that doesn't apply to you? With all due respect, if you're a 20, there's a big gap somewhere in the game. If it's not the tee or the short game, where is it?

What sort of 'insight' do you think this chart and its huge generalizations might provide?

Oh, relax, it's in good nature and EVERYBODY has been a suck-job newbie golfer at some point, and I remember my own game at that level far too well. I wish I could have taken it more in stride at the time, and my best advice is for you to do so as well.

That being said, you hit 85-90% of your fairways? The best guy on tour doesn't hit 80% and there are a metric ton of guys who don't even hit 2/3'rds of them. So you're always in the fairway and rarely three-putt, so where do you burn two shots on EVERY single hole??

"could 3 putt inside a hoola hoop"

LOL. That is pretty funny!!!

Nike SQ 9.5 w/ ProLaunch Red
Titliest 906F2 15
Miura 202 3-5 Irons
Miura Blade 6-PW Irons
Mizuno MP 51 & 56Yes! Tracy IINike One Black

I think your 10-20 category is pretty accurate for me. What do you classify as 3-putt often?

I would say - again, ballpark:

A scratch considers a 3-putt a unicorn. He'll stand there wondering how the hell he managed to do so. A 0-5 generally never thinks about it but will do so once in a blue moon. A 5-10 will often say, "I've been putting well, haven't 3-putted in X rounds," but it's in his mind, and over a season, there will be a smattering of 3-putts, maybe even isolated streaks. The 10-20 arrives at a green with a long-putt thinking, "crap, I hope I don't 3-putt" (and, thus, will do so more often). The 20+ can 3-putt at any given time. To immts007: this was never meant to insult. Frankly, this process helped me look at my game and figure where my issues are if I want to get down a level. I know several people, of varying length of "golf careers" who are at various levels, and I think this points out a common thread, even though they're all different in age, strength, length, etc...

So, by your classification system we should add "Pompous ass" to the 5-10 handicap range?

Driver: WRX G5 9* Fujikura Speeder 757
3-wood: G2 WRX 14*
Hybrid: G5 19*
Hibore Hybrid 3i 22*
Irons: G5 4-PW Wedges: Tour-W Black Nickel 52/12 & 58/08Putter: Milled NC #5Bag: Bagboy RevolverBall: ProV1XShoes: Adidas Tour 360 II

I think that I fit in the 5-10 HC in your chart hehe.

Regards

Driver: 905R 9.5° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Fairway: 906F2 15° (UST Proforce V2 Stiff) | Hybrid: 585.H 21° (S300) | Irons: AP2 4-PW (Project X 6.0) | Wedges: Vokey Design 52.08, 56.11 & 60.11  | Putter: Studio Select Newport 2 

www.flickr.com/avm_photo

So, by your classification system we should add "Pompous ass" to the 5-10 handicap range?

What exactly are you two so upset about? The hula hoop thing? Seriously, you get two people NOT in your range to agree with you, to say that I'm saying, "hey, all you sucky golfers leave the course, so we REAL golfers can play," and I'll recant.

I've BEEN in the highest category and, in retrospect, what I said is very applicable. I recall standing over drives with no particular thought, just "swing at it." I've had chip shots where it was all I could do to pray I didn't chunk it. And I could pull a 3-putt out of anywhere just as soon as look at you. If you're really a 30, it's time to be honest about your game, and a little light-hearted. Take it from someone who spent a lot of years shooting 110 and tossing clubs in anger. I wish I could have laughed at myself a long time ago.

I'd actually have to say that is a pretty accurate representation, the 5-10 range fits me perfectly. I feel I hit the ball pretty solidly, with a lot of just misses that leave a lot of easy chips. Extending my "likely to make it" range and reducing 3 putts would probably save me 4 shots a round.

My bag:

Driver: Cobra AMP 9.5 degree w/ GD6 stiff flex shaft

3 Wood: Ping Anser 14.5 degree THC-800 stiff flex shaft

Hybrid: Titleist 910H 19 degree Mitsubishi Kiani Blue stiff flex shaft

Irons: Nike Pro Combo Tour 4-PW Dynamic Gold S300 shafts

Wedges: Titleist Bob Vokey 52-8, 56-11 and 60-4

Putter: 2-Ball White Steel, 34" bent 1 degree flat

I didn't realize high handicappers had such thin skin. Lightenup guys.
I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

Your wild generalizations are insulting. That's what we have a problem with. I know my deficiencies as a golfer, and I don't need you to belittle my game. When you were a high handicapper did you appreciate low handicappers insulting you?

Driver: WRX G5 9* Fujikura Speeder 757
3-wood: G2 WRX 14*
Hybrid: G5 19*
Hibore Hybrid 3i 22*
Irons: G5 4-PW Wedges: Tour-W Black Nickel 52/12 & 58/08Putter: Milled NC #5Bag: Bagboy RevolverBall: ProV1XShoes: Adidas Tour 360 II

I didn't realize high handicappers had such thin skin. Lightenup guys.

Thanks, ChiChi.

Note: This thread is 5993 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!