IGNORED

My Swing (Johnnytwomiss)

Johnnytwomiss

I've been Playing Golf for: 15 years
My current handicap index or average score is: 6.4
My typical ball flight is: High but often thin too. Yardage is around 170 with a 7 iron and 270ish with driver. Swing speed with driver about 108-110mph but rare that I find the middle of the face.
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: With driver and longer clubs I have a two way miss but a big hook left is the most destructive shot. With wedges is miss everything right (starts straight and fades) but I thin lots of shots 100 yards and in. 

I feel like my right arm is stuck to my body coming in to impact and I can't get that nice shaft lean for crisp contact. Not sure if that is due to poor rotation or not using the arms enough to get them in front of my body. 

Videos: 

Edited by Johnnytwomiss

• Administrator

I would recommend getting the grip out of your palm:

grip.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I would recommend getting the grip out of your palm:

grip.jpg

Just watched the videos and I understand now what you mean. It creates a much sharper angle between the club and arms at address compared to my usual setup where the club is almost running up the same line as the forearms. It also seems to help my p1 position be more neutral whereas normally the face is very closed 

I take it the second video is advocating a long thumb vs short. I always thought long was for power and short for control, is that correct?

• Administrator
4 minutes ago, Johnnytwomiss said:

I take it the second video is advocating a long thumb vs short. I always thought long was for power and short for control, is that correct?

The long thumb is just a result of wrapping the hand down the shaft, not letting it slide up into the palm.

When it slides up into the palm, the pinkie finger connection is lost.

I don't think it has anything to do with power or control; I think that's an old "myth" (not quite the right word, but I think you get what I'm saying).

• Like 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

The long thumb is just a result of wrapping the hand down the shaft, not letting it slide up into the palm.

When it slides up into the palm, the pinkie finger connection is lost.

I don't think it has anything to do with power or control; I think that's an old "myth" (not quite the right word, but I think you get what I'm saying).

Thanks, appreciate your help.

I've failed to understand for a long time why the face gets so shut in the takeaway despite having what I considered a neutral grip, definitely not strong. My wrist naturally wanted to twist it closed immediately and when I've tested it now it seems to be from gripping the club too upright and it sitting towards the palm. If i lift the club horizontal, grip in the fingers, wrap the heel pad towards the clubhead, this creates a much different feeling and a club which sits more more on the heel at address rather than on the toe. I remember seeing a video saying you should be able to get a coin under the toe of the club at address.

With the club held like that I no longer have the sensation of wanting to turn the club closed as i take the club away. This was a nightmare move with the driver as the face then ends up shut throughout the swing and results in the low pull hook. 

With the trail hand, how close to the tips of the fingers do you hold it? 

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Johnnytwomiss said:

With the trail hand, how close to the tips of the fingers do you hold it? 

I don't know how to answer that one. I put my right hand on so the left thumb fits into the groove on the right hand and exits the middle of the right wrist.

• 2 months later...

Besides the grip and inside/shut takeaway, I'd suggest working on your spine angle from FO. You're getting false shoulder turn from losing your right tilt (away from the target) and actually tilting significantly left (towards the target) at the top. I think this reverse tilt is forcing you to add loft at impact

Edited by RAM44