Jump to content
IGNORED

I Took the Plunge


wacker

Recommended Posts

For the last five years I have owned a set of Ping Karsten irons, the 2014 model. They have served me well, but to be honest iron shots have never been my best. My most reliable clubs have been my three hybrids, especially the 4 and 5. For a while I considered selling the Pings and buying a full set of hybrids, and last week I took the plunge. I managed to sell my Pings for what I consider a decent price, and added not much extra to land myself a good used set of Cobra T Rail hybrids. I expected it to take a while before I got used to them, but from the offset they felt natural, although its important to hit down on the ball a little more. The ball launches like I never imagined, and I get about another 8 or so yards from each club. I can't say that have not made any bad shots using them, because that would be a lie, however the ease of use has reduced my mistakes quite considerably. In fact, first time out with them I scored 40 points. If your a higher handicapper and struggle with your irons, you may want to give it a thought.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

2 hours ago, wacker said:

but from the offset they felt natural

Do you mean the clubs have a lot of offset, so to you they feel natural? Or did you mean to write "from the onset they felt natural"? ... I'm asking for a friend. 🤪

Seriously, though. That's cool. Post a picture of the set if you can. I'm also interested in how far down the set you purchased. Did you get a GW? 

Anyway, I have a Tour Edge E521 5-iron and 6-iron which are usually in my closet. But I sometimes carry if I feel like my long iron play is whooper-jawed. They are super easy to hit. Yeah, kind of a one-trick pony, but that one trick is a long straight shot. 👍U4r3U6XUDzm4RWAurcaRGb.jpg.20fdc6fff7de490cdd9a16f39cacd846.jpg

s-l500.jpg

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Do you mean the clubs have a lot of offset, so to you they feel natural? Or did you mean to write "from the onset they felt natural"? ... I'm asking for a friend. 🤪

Seriously, though. That's cool. Post a picture of the set if you can. I'm also interested in how far down the set you purchased. Did you get a GW? 

Anyway, I have a Tour Edge E521 5-iron and 6-iron which are usually in my closet. But I sometimes carry if I feel like my long iron play is whooper-jawed. They are super easy to hit. Yeah, kind of a one-trick pony, but that one trick is a long straight shot. 👍U4r3U6XUDzm4RWAurcaRGb.jpg.20fdc6fff7de490cdd9a16f39cacd846.jpg

s-l500.jpg

LOL, yes I meant onset. My set goes from SW up to 5. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 hours ago, wacker said:

LOL, yes I meant onset. My set goes from SW up to 5. 

Curious what the SW and GW look like.

Can you put up a photo or two?

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well, I've had my epiphany. I sold my 21 and 24 hybrids for 22 and 26. I dropped the 6i from my iron set. I don't miss it. In a couple years, I'll probably do the same with the 7i and replace it with a 30 degree hybrid. Then when I hit 75, I'll probably replace the 8i with a 34 degree hybrid. Keep golf easy as I age. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 9/5/2022 at 7:39 PM, ChetlovesMer said:

Curious what the SW and GW look like.

Can you put up a photo or two?

Pitching wedge

Image 1 - Cobra T-Rail Pitching Wedge Hybrid 44* RH / 50g Regular Graphite / Nice /mm2537

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...