IGNORED

How do you prepare for tournaments?

JKilgore44
Note: This thread is 5855 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have a local 2-man low ball tournament coming up and I am considering all the different ways I can prepare for it. I am curious as to who each of you prepare for tournaments, both physically and psycologically.

My thoughts: The tournament is 8 days away. I plan to visit the range at least 3 of those days to work on ball striking and keep my swing in rhythm. I also plan to visit the practice green each night to work on putting. Putting is my biggest weakness and could be the deciding factor as to how I place in the tournament.

Please let me know if you have any specific drills or other things you implement into your routine to better prepare for competition.
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

Im always playing, so its just all practise. I usually play a round of 18 the day before the tournament. And then I just go out and whatever happens happens.

Don't get too jacked up on it, it will get the better of you.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

My thoughts: The tournament is 8 days away. I plan to visit the range at least 3 of those days to work on ball striking and keep my swing in rhythm. I also plan to visit the practice green each night to work on putting. Putting is my biggest weakness and could be the deciding factor as to how I place in the tournament.

That sounds perfect. Like you say, hit balls to the goal of keeping a groove, not trying something new.

Putting is the key. As we all know, that's where the real stroke saving comes into play. I have three putting drills. For long putts I use my 5 and in drill. You start with 5 balls scattered to different lengths throughout the green (with one cup being your target) Stroke your 5 putts. If you make one the first round, continue with the remaining 4 for the next round, if you make two that next round, then you are left with two to make. Continue until you have made all the putts. Also for long straight putts I have my back and forth drill. Start with 3 balls and use two holes (again, on a straight line putt). From hole A putt all balls to hole B and go back and forth until you make all 3 balls similar to the 5 and in drill. To add a bit of difficulty, once you've made a ball, if you miss on the putt back to that hole you can remove the ball already made. For short putts. I use the stand by make all or don't advance. I use 4 balls on this drill. Start from 3 feet. If you miss one of the 4 don't change the length or lie. Also, say if you miss the second of the 4, don't start over, putt the other 2, then start over. And for when you are actually in the tournament, have fun with the round. Try not to put any pressure on performance, its just another round of golf.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

1. Good night sleep
2. Healthy food
3. Not experiment with your swing. I mean, it's not good changing our swing hours before a tournament that will only be confusing for yourself.

During the tournament you should eat energy bars/bananas or chocolate. Also drink a lot of water.

You make a good point with the food intake Oggiss. I'll try and eat a banana every 6 holes. and have a protein bar or two as back up. Maybe some trail mix or almonds.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

You make a good point with the food intake Oggiss. I'll try and eat a banana every 6 holes. and have a protein bar or two as back up. Maybe some trail mix or almonds.

Thanks! I like to mix peanuts and raisins (if that is how you spell it) :) the saltyness makes me wanna drink more which is good!

You know, it could be placebo effect, but the Banana thing has really been working for me since I started eating 2 a round about a month ago.

I've read that they contain natural beta-blockers.

What's in my bag:
Cleveland Hibore XLS Monster Driver
TourEdge Exotics 2,3,4 hybrid irons
Tommy Armour 845cs Silverbacks 5-PW
Assorted wedges, Ping Scottsdale Anser

So, my usual routine of playing 18 without breakfast or any snacks whatsoever isn't a good idea? Could explain why I feel all run down halfway through, lol.

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

The food intake during the round is an excellent suggestion. I tend to forget to replinish my energy while playing and tend to become tired around the 14th hole. As a result, I tend to finish really weak. I think that I am going to pack some granola bars and trail mix and eat a good, healthy breakfast as well.

As for putting drills, I like all that you have listed and will try them out. I have a drill that my buddy did while he was playing golf in college. It sounds easy, but trust me, it's one of the hardest drills I have ever practiced in ANY sport. It will wear you out, but the end result is well worth it.

3 footer drill: Find a flat area on your putting green and putt 100 three footers in a row. Simple as that (or so you think). If you miss, start over. Continue until you have made all 100 and then continue to the next drill. While performing the drill, don't just ram them in, focus on keeping your putter head as square as possible and making a good stroke. You will never make any putt, whether it's a 3ft or a 60ft putt if you don't start it out on the right line. This drill has helped me improve more than I can even begin to express. Try it out next time you have about 45 minutes to blow.

6 footer drill: An extension of the 3 footer drill. Once you've made 100 (or you given up), move your ball mark back to six feet and begin the drill according to the same rules. By the way, this drill is impossible. I have literally been on the putting green for 3-4 hours at a time and not even gotten to 25 in a row. One things for sure though, I have a lot more confidence when I stand over those pesky 6 footers!

I have accomplished 100 three footers several times. It has translated well onto the course too. I used to be a bit tentative when standing over a 3ft putt for par, but now, I step up and remember what I've practiced for so long and hard. I encourage each of you to try this the next time you're putting and let me know how it works out for you.

As for other preparation measures, the night before the tournament, I am going to sit down with my partner and we are going to break down the course and discuss our game plan and course managment. I have recorded all the distances to the center of the greens, distances to bunkers, distance to bunkers, etc etc.

Any other thoughts??
What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

First ,have a good breakfast and I dont mean Rabbit food were talking Eggs ,Bacon,Sausage,Mushrooms .Tomateos,Black pudding ,bubble and a fried slice. Two pints of beer and a cigar.........Ready

In The Bag
Mizuno MX 560 Driver
Taylor made 3 wood
Mizuno HIFLI 21*
Mizuno MX 25's 4-pwMizuno MX series wedges 50, 56*/11 & 60*Bettinardi C02 putter4 bottles of pilsner,2 packs cigars

Don't forget about chipping. You're going to save more shots around the green than anywhere else. So I would suggest putting more time in on chipping, putting and pitching. I think that's where the average player would see strokes come off, if they would work on it.
play4him

Driver: Titleist 905R
3-Wood: Titleist 904F
Hybrid: Titleist 585 19 DegreeIrons: TitleistWedges (PW,Gap,SW,Lob): TitleistPutter: Bettinardi C04

Note: This thread is 5855 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!