IGNORED

Competing Against Players at Another Level

p1n9183

The other day, playing a tournament that gives points to the international amateur ranking, I stayed after my final round to follow the leaders and compare my stats/game with them. It was a threesome, guys from Canada, Spain and South Africa. My god..  those 20 year old boys hit it really long. On a 0 roll day, after a couple of days of heavy rain, they were driving it in average from 290 to 305.. all carry at sea level and 20°C. My 260 carry was totally useless against this guys. They were literally playing a different course, even a different sport. On a par 4, 480 yards, playing 1 club against the wind, I didn't reach the green after 2 average shots. All of them drive it 310 to the 170 mark and hit a 7 iron to the green. Remember, no roll and against the wind, it was ridiculous. 

On one hole it was really funny and incredible at the same time. It was a 360 yards par 4 with OB left and dense trees rights. Also you have a couple of bunkers that make the fairway even tighter from 110 to 50 yards of the green. After that the trees and bunkers ends and you have an open right towards the green and also an open to the right of the green were the next tee box is placed. 
This day the wind was coming from the right and slightly on our backs. 99% of players hit and iron of the tee to leave themselves 130 to the green. The Canadian and the SA guy did exactly that.. but the Spanish guy had something different in his mind. He took out his driver and gave it a go. The ball started right, directly to the trees. In my mind I thought, "he is dead".. is almost always bogey from that trees. Well I was wrong.. the ball flew, and flew and flew over the trees to land and plug a couple of yards before the tee of the next hole. I google it and it was 330 carry, no elevation change. Never in all the years I played that course thought that it could be possible to play the hole that way. In case you are wondering, yes he made birdie from there with a good 15 footer and proceeded to win the championship by a couple of shots.

What is most amazing and terrifying is that this were just elite amateur golfers. Imagine how much more ridiculous it could be to compare you game to the bombers from the PGA tour.      

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Competing Against Players at Another Level
  • Administrator

Until you reach the top, there are always players better than you. 😄 

• Funny 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades