IGNORED

regular flex to stiff on driver

Note: This thread is 5842 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

hello all i have a problem i recently went from a regular flex taylormade r7 draw 10*driver to a stiff flex cleveland hibore xl 10*.

now with the taylormade driver i was hitting it nice, and relatively long but high. also, my buddy took video's and pictures and it seems the shaft flexes a lot during the top of the swing and on the down swing.

with the new stiff flex cleveland driver im having problems.
i cant seem to get the ball in the air and when i do (rarely) it has a nice low flight.

my question is, should i stick to the regular shaft or do i just need to get used to it.

in my cart bag
Driver: Hi-Bore XL
Hybrids: Md 1i, 3i, 4i
Irons: Rac OS2 5-PW
Wedges: 52* 56* 60* Putter:

There are so many factors, if you hit the other driver well I would stay with it. I think that if unless you are below a 8 hcap, you really don't know what the driver is doing. Not to sound like a d--k, but if you are a 36 i would recommend a 13 or greater driver with a regular flex. If you are a big hitter...slow it down until you find the center of the club 60% of the time.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

I am having the same predicament I play regular shaft and have considered changing to stiff after my research i only think that it will help me in distance, maybe ur swinging differently

In My Edge Bag:
Driver: R7 Draw
3-Wood: Burner
3h,4h: Idea A2
Irons: 5-PW Idea A2Wedges: X-Tour 52, 56, 60Putter: White Hot XGBall: OPB (Other People's Balls)

Not to sound like a d--k, but if you are a 36 i would recommend a 13 or greater driver with a regular flex.

I actually tried a higher degree driver, but, the ball gets way way to high. The regular shaft at 10* was getting pretty high as well and i was told that i may need a stiffer shaft. Although i never got measured on a swing monitor i think i should.

maybe ur swinging differently

thats what i was assuming, when i went to the range the wind on the grass tees were 10-20mphs toward me. or maybe i just have an ugly swing altogether.

either way i think i should go back out there on a different day and see how it is and maybe play with the tee height.

in my cart bag
Driver: Hi-Bore XL
Hybrids: Md 1i, 3i, 4i
Irons: Rac OS2 5-PW
Wedges: 52* 56* 60* Putter:

I actually tried a higher degree driver, but, the ball gets way way to high. The regular shaft at 10* was getting pretty high as well and i was told that i may need a stiffer shaft. Although i never got measured on a swing monitor i think i should.

Maybe try holding the angle through the swing on the driver, you will hit it lower, and get more roll....if the wind is at your back take a full release and let it ride the wind. All that matters is that you hit it straight. I'll take 240 straight any day.

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

A driver is supposed to go high

If you still have both clubs take them both to the range on a nice day and compare and contrast

In My Edge Bag:
Driver: R7 Draw
3-Wood: Burner
3h,4h: Idea A2
Irons: 5-PW Idea A2Wedges: X-Tour 52, 56, 60Putter: White Hot XGBall: OPB (Other People's Balls)

don't change anything if it's been working for you. if the R7's the club you've been hitting well...try putting a stiff flex shaft in there if you're looking for more control of the club.
It's hard b/c shafts from diff manufacturers have diff characteristics. Like a Fujikura shaft that taylormade puts in their r7 is whippy as sh**.
Even those gold or red shafts Cleveland puts in have a lot of whip in them. A stiff flex stock shaft can be a regular flex for another company's stock shaft.
You can also go to your local shop and ask them to help you pick a new shaft for your R7.

I spent a good 3 hours before deciding on my new shafts this year.... and I couldn't be happier with the research....and results that I've had so far... Sure the stiff flex has taken 10 - 15 yards off of my avg drive.... but I'll take
270 - 280 straight everyday instead of 300 but in the rough.

but it's also true that 90% of male golfers are swinging a flex too stiff for them.... if regular flex works...stick with regular flex...... maybe you can even go for the FJ speeder shaft in a regular flex, heavier weight but lower torque so it feels a bit stiffer but actually isn't stiff...if you're having a problem getting it too high...the tip of the shaft can be too soft for your swing... or the kickpoint too low... i'd say try out a shaft with
a mid-high kick point
torque rating of 3.2 - 3.5
in a reg and stiff and see what you like.
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

but it's also true that 90% of male golfers are swinging a flex too stiff for them.... if regular flex works...stick with regular flex...... maybe you can even go for the FJ speeder shaft in a regular flex, heavier weight but lower torque so it feels a bit stiffer but actually isn't stiff...if you're having a problem getting it too high...the tip of the shaft can be too soft for your swing... or the kickpoint too low... i'd say try out a shaft with

The Hi-bore line of drivers were made for high launch/low spin. If you are having trouble getting the ball in the air I will bet a round of golf a regular stock Fuji shaft will help. I agree with the previous posters…..way too many people have egos that hinder their play. Example, I've played with many 20+ hdcp golfers that insist on stiff to x-stiff shafts on their 9* drivers. They look like "players" when they show up to the first tee but they do not have the tools to make the club perform as it was meant to. The flex, kick point, etc have a lot more to do with launch then swing speed. I play with several guys that have a triple digit swing speeds that use regular flex shafts. I suggest going to your local pro shop and get the proper fit.

Callaway X-Hot Tour GD Tour AD DI-7 Sonartec SS-3.5 16* FTP-X Adams Idea Super S 19* Matrix Kujoh
Bridgestone J33B DG X100 Mizuno MP 53*6 Mizuno MP 56*10 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported
Mizuno MP 60*6 WRX Sq. Gr. GTO Ported Odyssey White Hot Tour #5 Callaway Tourix

GHIN: 10436305

Note: This thread is 5842 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!