IGNORED

Golf Digest's U.S. Open Challenge

Mr. Sparkle
Note: This thread is 5815 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Though I disagree (and have some evidence to back that up), I think the problem is the difference between an 8 index and a 2 index is pretty gosh-darn big, particularly in the things that will likely be tested at a U.S. Open setup.

I agree that's it is possible the 2 index could do it, which is why I put in the range that I did. I just don't think an 8 has a chance unless he has a career round; which is unlikely under the circumstances.

Driver: Burner TP 8.5* 65 gram Fujikura Rombax shaft 46" Stiff Midsize Tour Velvet Grip
4 Wood: 16.5* Tour Edge Exotics Accra XT60 shaft
7Wood: 21* Tour Edge Exotics Accra XT60
Hybrids: Baffler DWS 3/R (20*)& 4/R (24*), Aldila VS Proto-HL 65 Stiff
Irons: MX-25 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro 950 GH, +.75"...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that's it is possible the 2 index could do it, which is why I put in the range that I did. I just don't think an 8 has a chance unless he has a career round; which is unlikely under the circumstances.

A 2 index is far better than an 8 and would probably have a chance to shoot an "okay" score on a US Open set-up. The things a 2 index would have that would be invaluable in that situation are be more carry with each club and more spin.

Your average 8 handicapper would have an impossible time trying to get the ball to stay on the greens because he/she would be hitting longer clubs at the greens and coming in on a lower trajectory. i.e., Many pros can hit an 8 iron 170-190 yards which allows them to hold the greens more often. It's the same thing that kills the LPGA players when they play the men. When the guys are hitting 5-irons into greens and the girls are hitting 5-woods, they may both hit the green, but which is more likely to land and stay? SubPar

I can hit an 8 iron 165 if i step on it. I firmly believe that if you manage the course appropriately SubPar and play for bogey on certain holes, there is no problem breaking 100!..Iacas says 109 but i think that is underestimating the players's abilities.

I can hit an 8 iron 165 if i step on it. I firmly believe that if you manage the course appropriately SubPar and play for bogey on certain holes, there is no problem breaking 100!..Iacas says 109 but i think that is underestimating the players's abilities.

Another message from the foggy outpost in fantasy land.

"there is no problem breaking 100". dopey. SubPar

An 8H rarely, if ever, breaks 80. He's now going to play a 7600 Yard Course with a rating of nearly 160, where a

scratch golfer is expected to shoot a 79. A normal PGA Tour course setup is difficult. In fact, some players say that the difference between an average course and a PGA Tour course is like getting in your minivan and driving through normal traffic and getting in a Formula 1 Car and driving a Grand Prix event. You state, though, that an 8 has no problem breaking 100. What happens, and it will, when he hits one OB off the tee, hits again, lands in rough, takes two to get out, gets on in two additional shots, three putts, posts his 11, walks to the next tee and realizes this hole is harder? Hmmm, hmmm, easy to break 100. Right.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Personally, I think you're crazy. Like I said, the average 8 handicapper shoots 92 on a course of US Open length, but NOT with US Open condition. Add in thick rough, lightning fast greens, and ridiculous pin placements and you have a recipe for triple digits....easy.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

Good point, but i don't believe that the US Open challenge is unique- there are lots of hard courses and im sure breaking 100 is doable.

Yes, there are plenty of difficult courses. Ask Kenny Perry. He posted an 81, yesterday. However, there is only one course that is setup like the US Open: The US Open, itself. It's almost impossible to simulate and practice for.

I'll give you an example of the type of set up it can be and most likely, will. There are two holes at Torrey Pines that require a 250 yard, carry, just to get to the fairway. Sounds easy, right? Well, there is a huge area of rough, in front, trees to the right, a narrow fairway as the beginning is about 18 yards and a light tower to the left. Additionally, on the GC, they showed what happened at Bethpage, circa 2002, when they set up a hole like this. I believe only three players actually reached the fairway. I wish this person the best. After what he's been through, I hope he does break 100. However, logic puts that number above 100, easily.

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

iacus,

Just to be persnickety I'm going to answer a somewhat different question. I think that this will not be so much a measure of the skills of a 10'ish handicap golfer, but a measure of the experience of a 10'ish handicap golfer.

I think the typical golfer in this competition would shoot 10-15 strokes better after 3-4 rounds, than they will on the first day. dave

In The Bag:
- Wishon 949MC 10.5* Driver
- Wishon 525 F/D 3W
- Wishon 515 949MC 5W
- Wishon 60* Cx Micro LW- Wishon 550M SW (55*)- Wishon 550M GW bent to 50* - Wishon 550C 6i - 9i (9i bent to 45*)- Wishon 321Li 3i/4i/5i hybrids- Odyssey Two Ball Putter

The more I think about it, the more I think the score is going to be well over 100. The guy selected is an 8 hdcp. I think most 8-10 hdcp players would have trouble breaking 100 on ANY PGA Tournament course during tournament week and playing the tour tees, much less an OPEN course. Remember the conditions of this challenge: Tour tees and green speeds, nationwide network TV, gallery, playing with celebrities, etc.

Remember...every swing counts in this one. No mulligans or gimmies...and PRESSURE will be incredible. It's going to be a train wreck out there.

Driver: Burner TP 8.5* 65 gram Fujikura Rombax shaft 46" Stiff Midsize Tour Velvet Grip
4 Wood: 16.5* Tour Edge Exotics Accra XT60 shaft
7Wood: 21* Tour Edge Exotics Accra XT60
Hybrids: Baffler DWS 3/R (20*)& 4/R (24*), Aldila VS Proto-HL 65 Stiff
Irons: MX-25 5-PW, Nippon N.S. Pro 950 GH, +.75"...

• 3 weeks later...
I just received the last Golf Digest. There is a passage by Hank Haney regarding this challenge. He was in Dallas and told the semifinalists that none of them had a chance of breaking 100. Some of his comments:

1) They will only hit four fairways. Last year, the pros averaged 7 per round.
2) Including par 3s, he believes that the amateurs will only hit 2 GIR.
3) They will have at least 5, 3 putts.
4) Four times they will miss the green on chip shots.
5) The chosen player will also incurr at least 3 penalty strokes.

All said, he stated that the chosen player will easily be 29 over par.

I am now starting to feel sorry for this guy.

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

I don't feel sorry for him. I'd love to be in his position. Yes I am aware that I probably wouldn't break 150, but it is still a once in a lifetime opportunity.
Whats in the bag:

Driver: Nike Ignite 460cc 10.5* Fujikura Ignite reg flex
Fairway woods: Howson tour master power series 3,5 woods
Irons: MacGregor M675 3-PW DG S300 Wedges: Mizuno MP-R Black Nickel 54.10, 60.05Putter: Pinfire Golf P4Ball: Titleist NXT TourHome Course:http://www.golfarmagh.co.uk/...

dont know if this question has been asked yet, but....is this guy still going to be an 8 when it comes time for him to play? i mean...i dont see him becoming a great golfer overnight and dropping to a 2 or so, but i'm sure he is putting in a lot of effort right now to get ready for this thing...i know i would be, and would shoot a 99 and take my 50:1 odds and make a nice chunk of change

♠ In the bag ♠
Driver► R7 SuperQuad 10.5º, ProForce V2 X
3 Wood► Steelhead III 15º
Hybrid► 2008 Baffler Pro 18º 2/R
Irons 3-P► 2008 Pro CB, Project X 6.0, +¼", 2° UpWedges► 52° RTG+DSG, 58º RTG+DSGPutter► White Hot Tour #1Ball► Pro V1xWhere I play:...

dont know if this question has been asked yet, but....is this guy still going to be an 8 when it comes time for him to play? i mean...i dont see him becoming a great golfer overnight and dropping to a 2 or so, but i'm sure he is putting in a lot of effort right now to get ready for this thing...i know i would be, and would shoot a 99 and take my 50:1 odds and make a nice chunk of change

How would you prepare for this? I've read that they can make this course up to 7600 yards and have so many areas, shaved, where balls will fall off the cliffs, fall off the front of greens and into water, etc. It's almost impossible to prepare, no?

I read today where another pro said that the TV Cameras will cost him 5 shots. He's an 8handicap, so that would make him 13 over before he even starts the round. Assuming he bogeys every hole, that puts him at 31 over. I wish NBC was showing more than just an hour.

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Its doable. i hope he is practicing his short game for sure!

♠ In the bag ♠
Driver► R7 SuperQuad 10.5º, ProForce V2 X
3 Wood► Steelhead III 15º
Hybrid► 2008 Baffler Pro 18º 2/R
Irons 3-P► 2008 Pro CB, Project X 6.0, +¼", 2° UpWedges► 52° RTG+DSG, 58º RTG+DSGPutter► White Hot Tour #1Ball► Pro V1xWhere I play:...

These are some crazy posts. I'm not sure why everyone thinks tour pros are SO much better than scratch golfers or even low handicappers. Yea, Tiger is way better as most of the marquee names, but there are scratch golfers that can beat a low ranked tour pro on a given day. I've seen it happen. I've also seen a 6 handicapper play within 2 strokes of me and 6 strokes of a tour player (Nationwide at the time, now PGA) on a 7400 yard course. A low handicapper can EASILY break 100 and has a decent chance at breaking 90 even on an open course. Torrey will be a very hard course, but not twice as hard or even 1 and a half times as hard as it is normally set up. Tour players are not gods or superhumans. They're simply more consistent golfers than most of us, and MOST of them play smarter golf. I guaruntee you all four of the ams playing can hit the same shots as the pros, just not as often. I don't know about the other two, but if Romo has a good round he will break 95, and the ten will probably shoot in the low 100s or high 90s if he plays on his top game.

Besides, Roy McCavoy was an amateur and he would've won the open a few years back had it not been for his stubbornness on the 72nd. What does that tell you. He was just a friggin range pro. Crazier things have happened.

Good first post there imo.

When is this actually happening, I have heard loads about it for quite a while and no one seems to be playing golf.

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

This event takes place on Friday. Is anyone going?

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Note: This thread is 5815 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!