IGNORED

Golf Digest's U.S. Open Challenge

Mr. Sparkle
Note: This thread is 5815 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is going to be fun. I can't wait.

http://www.golfdigest.com/magazine/u...penprosopinion

Do you guys think any of the 4 will break 100?
In my bag
Driver: Burner 460 9.5°
Fairway: V-Steel 15°
Utility: Rescue Dual 16°, 22°
Irons: 755 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey 50°, SM 56°, SM 64°Putter: Newport 2 Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, I believe an <8 handi could break 100 on Torrey. But with the cameras on them and all the pressure, they will not do it. If it was an early morning with just a couple of friends, I think a single digit could do it.

Driver: Tour Burner 10.5*
3 Wood: Hibore 15*
3 Hybrid: 3dx DC 20*
Irons: i5 4-PW
Gap Wedge: cg12 50*Sand Wedge: cg12 54*Putter: g5i anserIn my grom bag :)

I'm with Scott Verplank on this one.

A legit single-digit? If he plays for bogey on every hole, he would barely break 100. Drive it straight and lay up on his second shot, it might be possible. But it won't be much fun to play like that.

If they play smart and just try to keep it in the fairway with irons and go for bogey on every hole that would really eliminate a lot of chances for 7's and 8's which would be key to breaking 100. I don't think they'll do this though. There will be a lot of wasted shots from the rough, and definitely a bunch of 3 and even 4 putts.

Fore!

To be honest, i don't think they stand a chance in hell.

Lets factor in everything here
1. The length of the course is like nothing else 10 handicappers will have played on, especially when it comes to working out their handicap!
2. The rough is brutal, they will never have played anything like it, more than likely a shot into the rough (and it will happen) will result in a couple to get it out, and even if not, they will be punting it out sideways, in essence a dropped shot.
3. The greens will be too fast to comprehend, and this has numerous connotations
3a. Holding the greens with approach shots will be immensely difficult
3b. Where the green is missed (it will happen, a lot) it will be stupidly difficult to get the ball back on and reasonably close to the pin.
3c. Due to the speed of the greens, putting will be like nothing anyone has ever even imagined, the chances of being able to put to their usual standard (say 32 putts a round) are so minimal to be a joke!
4. The pressure due to the crowds, cameras, occassion and the fact that you are playing with a top pro will all lead to errant shots and missed putts etc
5 The average ten handicapper will not be able to concentrate at the required level for the whole round, and if they do, by the time of the back 9, they will be exhausted leading to mroe and more bad shots!

I was speaking to my teacher last year, and he said that if he shot 100 at the US Open he would be pleased, and bearing in mind he used to play European Tour, and he coaches Phil Archer
( http://www.europeantour.com/publish....&playerid;=1312 )
who played at the us open last year, this suggests that it would not be possible for your AVERAGE 10 handicapper to achieve this!

Driver - 905r 9.5* with UST Proforce VT Stiff
3 Wood - SQ 3+ 13* with Grafallloy prolaunch blue Stiff
5 Wood - SQ 5* 19 with Aldila NV65 stiff
Irons - MP 67 3 + 5-PW 2deg Up + 1/2" with DG S300 shaft.
Wedges - SV 52/10 with true temper s400 BV Spin Milled 56/10 Wedge Flex BV Spin Milled 60/04...

No chance in hell. I entered the contest, made it to the second round and to be completely honest with you, even though I wanted to tell myself that I could do it and would give it my best effort, Im a realist and know that I wouldn't break 100. I can hit drives 300 yards, I have a real good short game, but conditions are way too tough, rough is way too long, greens are lightning. The guy who wins the contest will not break 100.
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

I think it is possible, but I don't think it will happen.

Jason Allred, a PGA tour pro, shot an 85 the highest round at the buick invitational held at torrey pines. Now granted that is a bad round, in fact the worst round of the week..but he is a better than scratch golfer on an easier course than it will be for the US open. If this guy is an 8 and conservatively Allred is a scratch, a quick look at it will say that this guy shoots a 93 on the easier course. (I know I over simplified slope, etc...) Now add more rough, more length (maybe?), and television cameras. I would prefer my chances with a brazilian supermodel.

I kind of depends on where a person establishes his handicap, but I say the odds of an 8 handicap breaking 100 in this case are about 1:50. Every aspect of the course will be difficult in the extreme... course length, rough, green speeds, fairway width, etc.

You could drop a ball 150 yards out on every hole and an average 8-10 handicapper would be struggling to get down in 3 from there. Without a lot of spin the ball is not going to hold on the greens and 2 putts will be rare once they get on the green.

I have never played a course with US Open speed greens, but the few times I've played on "fast" greens there have been a lot of 3 and 4 putts in my foursome. He should practice putting on a hardwood floor.

SubPar

The amateur will probably be over 100 but not much. I bet Romo will shoot right around 90. Laurer doesn't look like he has much power so I see him over 100. Timberlake? I doubt it.

R7 TP 8.5* Fuji Speeder x-stiff (heavy,low,fade set)
975F 3W 13.5*
FX Tour Grind Nickel 3-PW +1/2", Rifle 6.5
Vokey SW 52*
CG10 LW 60* 3 dot (14* bounce) Tracy putter 35" (hit R but putt L)+ 1 club TBD...Past home courses: Unicorn GC (Stoneham, MA), Forest Creek GC (Round Rock, TX)Ball: Use...

A course and slope rating of 79/158, stimpmeter rating of at least 13 and rough so high and thick that you can hide a puppy. 7600 yards with some holes requiring a carry of 250 yards just to reach the fairway. Possibly unpredictable winds and requiring precision iron play. I read in GD that each finalist was predicting a score of low to mid 80s.

I'm hoping that Johnny Miller does the telecast. We might hear stuff from Johnny that we'll remember a long time.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

IMHO, a 10'ish handicap golfer could learn to break 100 on a US Open course/set-up, but are very unlikely to do it without a good deal of experience with those conditions.

If I were trying this I would do a couple things like

1) Practice putting on a hardwood floor
2) Go find somewhere with 5" deep/thick grass to practice out of
3) Not sure how to practice playing under that kind of pressure

dave

In The Bag:
- Wishon 949MC 10.5* Driver
- Wishon 525 F/D 3W
- Wishon 515 949MC 5W
- Wishon 60* Cx Micro LW- Wishon 550M SW (55*)- Wishon 550M GW bent to 50* - Wishon 550C 6i - 9i (9i bent to 45*)- Wishon 321Li 3i/4i/5i hybrids- Odyssey Two Ball Putter

Romo said he would be very disappointed if he doesn't break 80 lol. Best of luck to him, if he breaks 100 he would shock the world, let alone 80.

Driver: Tour Burner 10.5*
3 Wood: Hibore 15*
3 Hybrid: 3dx DC 20*
Irons: i5 4-PW
Gap Wedge: cg12 50*Sand Wedge: cg12 54*Putter: g5i anserIn my grom bag :)

I am not a negative person, but in this case, I must say, it won't happen.

I will take a bit different angle.

Green Speed.

Ultra fast greens have a way of affecting every aspect of the short game.

By everything, I mean how deep into the green to carry the approach shot without quality spin on the ball? How far on do I land the sand shot to let it roll out? Do I dare chip & run with a 7 iron, even a 9 iron? My sand or lob wedge out of greenside rough with no spin to a tight pin? Not happening. Then they have to putt.

When putting, there will always be this subtle, or not so subtle, fear and uncertainty present. Maybe they have a 15 footer for birdie that at home they would challenge - at Torrey, they will be apprehensive about running it to far past for fear of the comebacker. So, no birdie. How good is their lag putting from 30 feet, 40 feet etc. . .

Fast greens create apprehension in the short game - which will prevent them from performing at a level they are used to at home.

Short game mistakes will add up quickly and will likely be the reason they shoot over 100.

J.P.

Bridgestone J33 10.5* Fujikura Rombax w
Bridgestone J33 15* Fujikura Zcom tw74
Tour Edge XCG 18* 3 hybrid Mizuno MP30 4-PW DG S300Vokey SM 52 bent 51Vokey Spin Milled 56 & 60Cameron Newport BchBridgestone B330s

Romo said he would be very disappointed if he doesn't break 80 lol. Best of luck to him, if he breaks 100 he would shock the world, let alone 80.

I saw on the Golf Channel last night that Romo is actually looking to qualify for the U.S. Open. Apparently, he must be playing in some sectional.

My advice to Tony: How's about holding onto the snap or not going to Cabo San Lucas? You know, like, try and win a playoff game.

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

• Administrator
I saw on the Golf Channel last night that Romo is actually looking to qualify for the U.S. Open. Apparently, he must be playing in some sectional.

Yeah, as he did last year, which means he must be a 1.4 handicap or better. So, he's got some game.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Phil Mickelson was on the Golf Channel the other day for a Players Championship press conference when they asked him about this challenge. He said Dave Pelz did some study that said if you put the average 10 handicapper on a golf course of US Open length, he shoots 92. That's not even talking about US Open conditions, just length. Add in the rough, fast greens, and tight pins; the guy has no shot at breaking 100. None.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

http://www.golf.com/golf/tours_news/...738417,00.html

NFL's Romo misses cut at U.S. Open qualifier

DALLAS (AP) — Tony Romo won't have to worry about missing practice time with the Dallas Cowboys because of a tee time at the U.S. Open.

Romo shot a 5-over 75 Wednesday in a local qualifying event for the Open, finishing four shots out of a playoff for the eighth and final spot for a chance to compete in a sectional qualifying event.

"I found a good rhythm on the backside, but it just took too long to get started," said Romo, who had five video cameras and 25 people following him. "I just haven't been able to practice or prepare. I've got a lot of football stuff. That's part of it."

The U.S. Open is June 9-12. The Cowboys have organized team activities June 10-12, then their lone minicamp June 17-19.

However, Romo will be at the Open as a celebrity guest for an event June 6.

He'll get plenty more swings in before then — he's competing in a long drive event Friday, then will play May 21 in the pro-am prior to the Colonial in Fort Worth.
In my bag
Driver: Burner 460 9.5°
Fairway: V-Steel 15°
Utility: Rescue Dual 16°, 22°
Irons: 755 (5-PW)Wedges: Vokey 50°, SM 56°, SM 64°Putter: Newport 2 Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1

Phil Mickelson was on the Golf Channel the other day for a Players Championship press conference when they asked him about this challenge. He said Dave Pelz did some study that said if you put the average 10 handicapper on a golf course of US Open length, he shoots 92. That's not even talking about US Open conditions, just length. Add in the rough, fast greens, and tight pins; the guy has no shot at breaking 100. None.

Yes, I saw this, too. Phil also said that he figures that number will be close to 120. He also told a story of playing behind an 8 Handicap at Torrey Pines and the guy was taking two shots from the rough and then throwing the ball onto the fairway.

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

This should definitely be interesting. I can't imagine playing that course, especially with cameras rolling and a crowd. Crazy.

In my Warbird Hot:
Driver: Burner 10.5* Reg Flex
3 Wood: Mercury Golf MR Jumbo 16*
Irons: X-20 4-AW
Putter: 33" Rossa FontanaShoes:Footjoy Contour

Note: This thread is 5815 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!