IGNORED

Plumb Bobbing (Putting) Master Thread

Note: This thread is 2098 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My name is Jenks and I am a PLUMB-BOBBER! There i've finnally admitted it, and it feels good. Plumb-bobbing for me is just a way of removing doubt on very subtle breaking putts, usually ones that I can't see any break in at all, and allowing me to step up and hit the ball at my target with CONFIDENCE. I don't believe it's going to tell me the exact amount of break but it gives me an idea if there is SOME break or NO break. Also, don't try to plumb-bob with any thing with any sort of; heel-toe weighting, high MOI design, mallet putter as it just won't work! You need a bullseye (no flange) or a very simple 8802 style putter where the toe hangs straight down when you carry it, these putters will hang vertically from your fingers and can be useful.

In my Tour bag
Driver - Cyberstar (9*), cut to 43.5 inches long with tonnes of lead tape attatched to the head.
Fairway 909F2 (13.5*), Diamana blue 83 shaft, 42 inches long
Rescues Heaven wood (17*)
909h (21*) Diamana blue shaft Irons Pro M (3-PW), Rifle 5.0 shafts Wedges KZG TRS (52* +...

• Administrator
Plumb-bobbing for me is just a way of removing doubt on very subtle breaking putts, usually ones that I can't see any break in at all, and allowing me to step up and hit the ball at my target with CONFIDENCE.

That's the thing: you don't seem to realize that your body and mind are telling you which way the putt breaks. You just aren't listening to it until you plumb bob!

Plumb bobbing "works" only because you make it work . You might do it at a subconscious level, but you still do it. I really recommend people stop relying on a gimmick - plumb bobbing - to try to figure out what their bodies and minds are already telling them. Figure out how to access your "feel" for the break without holding a putter in front of your face.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Hey, nothing wrong with gimmicks, especially in golf, square driver, futura putter, stack and tilt any one? I even saw some one stick their ball on a BRUSH to tee off once(?!) but each to their own if thats what you wish to spend your money on. While I haven't used any of these others (i'm a 'traditionalist' don't you know) i'll stick with my plumb-bobbing, it doesn't cost me anything (even wins me some!) and if its good enough for, Jim Furyk, Corey Pavin and Ben Crenshaw then it's good enough for me!
Good day!

In my Tour bag
Driver - Cyberstar (9*), cut to 43.5 inches long with tonnes of lead tape attatched to the head.
Fairway 909F2 (13.5*), Diamana blue 83 shaft, 42 inches long
Rescues Heaven wood (17*)
909h (21*) Diamana blue shaft Irons Pro M (3-PW), Rifle 5.0 shafts Wedges KZG TRS (52* +...

I plumb bob as well. I see the break much better

HB

G10 Draw 13.5* 44 " Driver
K15 7 Wood
G10 28* 5 Hybrid
G10 orange dot 6I -PW
Tour W 56* SW 1/2 Craz-e i series putter 4 Under Stand Bag

Just curious as to how many of you out there plumb-bob your putts when reading a green. What are you looking for?

I guess I dont "plumb-bob" in the conventional sense. I dont use it to show me the break of the green. I use it to pick a reference point just ahead of my ball to aim at after I have read the green.

Just curious as to how many of you out there plumb-bob your putts when reading a green. What are you looking for?

I tried it years ago, but it did not help me to read the undulating greens we have here in Central New York, so I stopped doing it.

Mitch Pezdek------Dash Aficionado and Legend in My Own Mind

In other words, I prefer to just read the greens, not rely on some hokey routine that is darn near 100% ineffective.

So why should it bother you that some use it? Read your greens and leave the plum-bobbing to those of us that use that as one method of determining slops/breaks/etc? I use it more as a confirmation of what I'm seeing w/o the plum-bob. And if that gives more more confidence in my line, I fail to see the problem.

I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

• Administrator
So why should it bother you that some use it?

I don't believe I ever said such a thing.

If you want to continue to continue doing something that is completely pointless and perhaps even detrimental, go right ahead. About the only time I'm ever going to care or "be bothered" is if a friend's doing it and I want to help him or if I'm being held up by someone who's wasting time plumb bobbing.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yes, I plumb-bob virtually every put outside of 3-feet............ As has probably already been noted, the side of the shaft on which the hole appears will give you a read as to the general "break" of the putt. However, the distance between the shaft and hole, will also provide you with insight as to ... How much the putt will break, at a given pace.

I would note, that it is something that can and should be done while awaiting your turn to putt..... so as to not slow up the pace of play.

"The more you know...... the less you need"

• 3 months later...
does anyone else think this is horsesh*t? I've watched many videos on it, hell, I've even had people explain it to me in person so I know I'm doing it right. Every time I do it I never see anything special. The hole doesn't look like it's on either side of the shaft etc.... I have 20-15 vision so I know it's not my eyes. WTF is going on?! lol

"One of the reasons Arnie Palmer is playing so well is that, before each final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them. Oh my God, what have I just said."
US Open TV Commentator

S9-1 Pro D Driver 9.5 Degree Matrix Ozik XCON-6
CGB 3WPro Baffler 2/R 2HybridMP-37 Project X 6.0Vokey...

does anyone else think this is horsesh*t? I've watched many videos on it, hell, I've even had people explain it to me in person so I know I'm doing it right. Every time I do it I never see anything special. The hole doesn't look like it's on either side of the shaft etc.... I have 20-15 vision so I know it's not my eyes. WTF is going on?! lol

I agree with you, but guys who plumb bob swear by it. However, I will say that I've never met a plumb bobber who reads greens or putts significantly better than I do.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I'm with you fellas. I think the people who do it think that it must be telling them something but what that is I couldn't say.

The concept is that when you hold the putter perpendicular to the ground, it will be easier to see if the hole is sloping to one side or the other. If the hole is at a 90 degree angle to the shaft, the putt will be straight. If not, the putt will break right or left according to the slope.

For what it's worth I don't think it works, especially on the grainy greens of Florida. But as someone said, those that do it - swear by it.

In my Srixon staff bag:

Driver: Titleist 909D2 8.5 - Grafalloy Epic X
Fairway: Adams RPM LP 13 degree - Grafalloy Epic X
Hybrids: Adams Idea Pro 18 degree - DGSL X100Irons: MacGregor 1025M 3-PW - DG X100SW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54 - DG X100LW: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 58 - DG X100Putter...

Ya. i never saw anything with it. I get my best read on line standing over the ball like I'm going to putt it. I just back up to figure out if the putt is up a slope or down

It's never worked for me. Most amateurs don't do it right anyway. You have to hold your putter at the correct pivot point on the shaft to get it to be perpendicular, because of the weight of the head, and most people just hold it at the grip. I saw a video about it once where the guy held it next to a door jamb to demonstrate.
I'm sure it helps the pros in some way, but you really don't see many of them doing it. a read from in front and behind works for me.

Slim 11
Driver: Cobra F-Speed 10.5*
3 wood: Cobra F Speed
5 wood: Cobra F Speed
Irons: Cobra 3100H/I 3-PWSW: Pixl 56*Putter: Monza Rossa MalletBall: Slazenger Raw Feel

• Administrator

Here's the truth when it comes to plumb bobbing.

It's bullshit. The physics of it make absolutely no sense. By moving your head slightly you can make a left-to-right putt "appear" to break right-to-left when you're plumb bobbing. It does nothing and makes no sense at all. A line is defined by two points - I can line up the ball and the hole every time with my putter shaft, even with a 45° slope in between. The only possible "plus" from plumb bobbing is that it can act as a way for golfers who subconsciously know the break to give their bodies a way to show it to them. But it's still a bunch of hokey.
It's never worked for me. Most amateurs don't do it right anyway. You have to hold your putter at the correct pivot point on the shaft to get it to be perpendicular, because of the weight of the head, and most people just hold it at the grip. I saw a video about it once where the guy held it next to a door jamb to demonstrate.

Nope. Doesn't matter where you hold the club - it's b.s.

Note: This thread is 2098 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!