IGNORED

Plumb Bobbing (Putting) Master Thread

Note: This thread is 2090 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What exactly is it people are doing when they plumb bob? I can only assume it's to help read break somehow, but when I try doing it I can't figure out what it is I'm supposed to be looking at/for.

...the world is full of people happy to tell you that your dreams are unrealistic, that you don't have the talent to realize them. - Bob Rotella

Driver - Taylormade R1.
Fairway - Taylormade R9 15º.
Hybrid - A3OS 3 Hybrid.

Irons - Cast CCI 4-AW.

Wedge - SV Tour 56º wedge.

I have no idea - especially since your putter generally doesn't hang straight down. Grab a level and check your putter. Mine requires the head to be about 50 degrees off line to make the shaft perpendicular to the ground.

Big clubs: :titleist: 915D3 @ 9.5°, :callaway: X-Hot Pro 3W
Med clubs: :callaway: X-Hot Pro 5W, :titleist: 910H 4H,
Small clubs: :callaway: X-Hot Pro 5-AW, :titleist: Vokey 55.10, 60.10

What is hard to understand? If you let your putter hang from your fingers, like a "plum bob" your putter is now (by the law of physics) hanging precisely vertical/perpendicular to the "flat" ground.

This classic method it used as a visual comparative point-of-reference. Basically some people find it easier to read degrees of left/right/left slope if they have this point of reference.

I personally do not use it. But quite a lot of golfer’s do.
Driver: Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 10.5* (UST Proforce v2 77g X Flex) 3 Wood: Callaway Diablo 15* (UST Proforce v2 86g S Flex). 2 Hybrid: Adams A4 Tech 17* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex). 3 and 4 Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro 20* and 23* (UST Proforce v2 105g S Flex)
Irons: Tour Edge Exotics...

As stated above, you have to know ahead of time how your putter hangs (no pun intended).

It can help evaluate the area near the hole and how it breaks (tails off at the end).

I don't always do this. Every now and then you'll get on green that is almost an optical illusion and you have no idea what it does. A plumb bob check can get you visualizing the actual break.
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

I use it to help line up the line i drew on the ball to the line i intend to start the putt on. As stated before - if you let the putter hang loosely, it will be perpendicular to the ground (and no - it doesn't matter if the putting surface is undulating because you're using the putter just as a reference point).

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

I think most people who use the plumb bob method really have no idea what they are looking for, they just happen to see someone else doing it. Imagine if Tiger started reading putts like Camillo.

In the bag:
Driver-Cleveland HiBore XLS Tour 10.5s
Hybrids-Adams Pro Gold
Irons-Srixon I-701Tour PX6.0
Wedges-Srixon WG 50*/56*Putter-Rife BarbadosBalls-Bridgestone B330S

What is hard to understand? If you let your putter hang from your fingers, like a "plum bob" your putter is now (by the law of physics) hanging precisely vertical/perpendicular to the "flat" ground.

Sorry - the laws of physics say that the center of mass of the putter will be located vertically below the suspension point. The center of mass of the putter is not in the shaft because of the weight of the head. The only way for the shaft to appear vertical to your eye is if you rotate the shaft so that the center of mass is in line with the shaft and your eye.

Big clubs: :titleist: 915D3 @ 9.5°, :callaway: X-Hot Pro 3W
Med clubs: :callaway: X-Hot Pro 5W, :titleist: 910H 4H,
Small clubs: :callaway: X-Hot Pro 5-AW, :titleist: Vokey 55.10, 60.10

Sorry - the laws of physics say that the center of mass of the putter will be located vertically below the suspension point. The center of mass of the putter is not in the shaft because of the weight of the head. The only way for the shaft to appear vertical to your eye is if you rotate the shaft so that the center of mass is in line with the shaft and your eye.

i think you dropped these

I understand what you said.....just kinda jerky about it.

Bag:
Driver: 325 (draw)
Irons: mp 32
Wedges: Black Ni
Putter: Teardrop...dominatorBall: nice ones.

You should first check the angle of the cup - that's your first reference. From there, you should be able to easily read the green against the horizon and your brain's natural leveling mechanism and read a line from there.

Your inner ear has a balance mechanism, so your brain and your visual cortex know what's exactly level and what isn't. Use it.

Not to brag, but people tell me I have an uncanny ability to read lines. Judging speed is something else I'm still learning though.
In My TerraFirma Xi Bag:
Driver: R7 460 10.5° Fujikura REAX stock R-flex
3-Wood: Big Bertha Titanium RCH 75w Firm stock shaft
Hybrids: 585H 19.5° 4175 stock shaft
Irons (4-10): Big Bertha TT shaftsWedges: CG12 Black Pearl 52°10, 56°14, 60°10Putter: Studio Select Newport 33"Ball: ...

which is exactly what one ought to do if utilizing this method (at least thats how i do it)...it wouldnt make sense to me to hang the putter with the toe pointing to the left or right making the shaft appear slanted now would it?...just hang the putter and point the toe towards the hole as accurately as you can (sure the shaft might lean forward a bit - if its positioned in front of my left eye - my dominant eye - its perpendicular so far as i can tell). its just a reference point...i mean some people actually walk off putts (full swings too for that matter) just to get a better feel and some sort of reference point so as to give the ball the most confident stroke one could muster. if it makes u feel confident, why not use it?

:P
In the bag Nike SasQuatch SuMo 10.5* {} Tiger Shark Hammerhead 3w, 5w, 3h {} Nickent 3DX Pro 5i-PW {} Titleist Vokey 250.08* {} Cleveland CG11. 54* {} Callaway X-Tour 58.11* {} Carbite Tour Classic Putter {} Titleist ProV1x

I do exactly as pjsync describes above except that I use my right (dominant) eye. On longer putts I try to imagine the line and go with it but in the 6-10 foot range, you aren't going to have too many double breakers so I plumb my putter and reference it to the cup. Assuming that the cup is along the level of the green and the putter is plumb, I can judge or guesstimate how much break should be in the putt based on the grain and type of turf.

It is just another tool but it does work.
What's in my bag:

G5 10.5 degree Driver
G5 3 wood
G5 3-PWTour 52, 56 & 60 degree wedgesPro V1 weapons of mass destructionPinseeker 1500 Rangefinder

• 2 weeks later...
You know you really need to learn the first rule of putting. If you have the right line and the right speed it will go in. And that is whether you plumb bob or stand on 1 foot. Just wanted to share that little tid bit wich ya.

In the bag:
Driver-:Launcher
Hybrid-:Srixon hybrids 3
Irons 4-PW-:
Wedges- Callaway X-tour "Mack Daddies"Putter-:mizuno bettinardiBall- Pro V1 ZUR c Bridgestone B330SThey call me the bus driver cuz I'll be taken your ass to school!!!!

You know you really need to learn the first rule of putting. If you have the right line and the right speed it will go in. And that is whether you plumb bob or stand on 1 foot. Just wanted to share that little tid bit wich ya.

The line is directly related to speed. More speed, less break......less speed, more break. The idea is to "feel" the speed you want to execute and determine the line that matches that speed. Once you know the speed, you analyze the line by evaluating the contours and levelness of the putting surface.

What's in my bag:

G5 10.5 degree Driver
G5 3 wood
G5 3-PWTour 52, 56 & 60 degree wedgesPro V1 weapons of mass destructionPinseeker 1500 Rangefinder

After reading this whole thread I have realized that I am not very smart, or didn't think t find out about what this was. When I do this I do not do it with the intention as has been stated. I have been using the shaft as basically a straight line to see if the line drawn on my ball is lined up with my intended starting line.

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

After reading this whole thread I have realized that I am not very smart, or didn't think t find out about what this was. When I do this I do not do it with the intention as has been stated. I have been using the shaft as basically a straight line to see if the line drawn on my ball is lined up with my intended starting line.

I don't think there is a right or wrong way of doing it. You use it as a reference to determine your best line. Everyone does it different.

What's in my bag:

G5 10.5 degree Driver
G5 3 wood

I don't think there is a right or wrong way of doing it. You use it as a reference to determine your best line. Everyone does it different.

And most of us us don't do it at all.

I never bought into it as I never knew anyone who used it who managed to find the line any better than I do just using my eyes and my feel. Even when you do have a good line, you still have to match the speed to that line, and then you have to make a good enough stroke to hit the ball on that line.... As with most putting eccentricities, if it feels right to you, then go ahead and use it, but don't expect it to be a magical cure for a bad stroke.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't plumb, but have been have improved my green reading significantly lately by doing two things different. First I actually get down low (not like CV but pretty low) and then also do two readings, one right behind the ball and one from 8 feet back or so. Stepping back a bit has really helped me see the overall break of the green much better.

"You can foment revolution or you can cure your slice - life is too short for both" David Owen

WITB*: 2010 winter edition

Driver: AyrtimeFW/hybrid: Distance Master Pro Steel 5w, 7w, 27* hybridIrons: Powerplay 5000 hybrids (6i-SW)Wedge: SMT Durometer 55 degPutter: Z/I Omega mallet*as soon...

Note: This thread is 2090 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!