IGNORED

Guess the ruling 2

blue3715
Note: This thread is 5820 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

These are rules from the USGA rule book... see if you rule correct.

Situation: You hit your tee shot near the out-of-bounds stakes. One of the stakes has been knocked down for whatever reason. Your ball is in an area that is in bounds if the fallen stake is disregarded, or out of bounds if it is replaced.

Do you play as it lies or put it back?

Answer and Ruling here:

Response: Disregard the stake and play the ball as it lies.

Ruling: Generally, the stake should be replaced, which makes your ball out of bounds. However, in stroke play, if the committee is aware that one or more competitors have played from the same area ignorant of the missing stake, the altered boundary line should be allowed to stand for the rest of the competition (Decision 33-2a/19). In this case, you would play the ball as it lies.

It's also noted that you should not replace the stake (in a competition). The fallen stake must remain as is for all competitors.

G10 Driver
G10 4-wd
G15 7-wd
X-18 Proseries 3i-PW
X-Tour 52d gap wedge X-Tour 58d lob/sand wedge Dual-force Rossie II (mallet head) putter Pro-V1x only (baby!)Play at a private NJ g.c.

I see you have also done the rule quiz at weather.com

My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

I see you have also done the rule quiz at weather.com

huh? im not sure what you mean

G10 Driver
G10 4-wd
G15 7-wd
X-18 Proseries 3i-PW
X-Tour 52d gap wedge X-Tour 58d lob/sand wedge Dual-force Rossie II (mallet head) putter Pro-V1x only (baby!)Play at a private NJ g.c.

huh? im not sure what you mean

There is a rules quiz you can take at the weather.com and that is one of the questions. I was jokingly assuming that is where it came from.

My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

sorry, no i didnt... funny though.

G10 Driver
G10 4-wd
G15 7-wd
X-18 Proseries 3i-PW

First, if no competitor has played from the area in question, then the committee should replace the stake and allow the competition to continue. If a previous competitor has already played from that area, then the altered boundary should be left as it is until the completion of the competition.

If it is found that competitors have already played both ways, (i.e. one player has played it as out of bounds under Rule 27-1, while another player has played a stroke from the disputed area), and if that inconsistent treatment would affect the competition, then the round should be canceled and replayed.

The pertinent decision is found under Rule 33, The Committee.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

yes but Im referring to a player walking up and seeing this situation. Im not talking about a PGA event, but when us normal folk are playing in competitions. There's no one to confirm the stake was in or out before this point in time.

G10 Driver
G10 4-wd
G15 7-wd
X-18 Proseries 3i-PW

yes but Im referring to a player walking up and seeing this situation. Im not talking about a PGA event, but when us normal folk are playing in competitions. There's no one to confirm the stake was in or out before this point in time.

If it is a stroke play competition, you can always proceed under rule 3-3. Play one ball as it lies, and the other treated as out of bounds. Then take your case to the tournament committee before you sign your card. Be sure you follow the procedure as outlined, or you invalidate the score with the second ball.

Here is Rule 3-3 for stroke play:
3-3. Doubt as to Procedure a. Procedure In stroke play, if a competitor is doubtful of his rights or the correct procedure during the play of a hole, he may, without penalty, complete the hole with two balls. After the doubtful situation has arisen and before taking further action, the competitor must announce to his marker or a fellow-competitor that he intends to play two balls and which ball he wishes to count if the Rules permit. The competitor must report the facts of the situation to the Committee before returning his score card. If he fails to do so, he is disqualified. Note: If the competitor takes further action before dealing with the doubtful situation, Rule 3-3 is not applicable. The score with the original ball counts or, if the original ball is not one of the balls being played, the score with the first ball put into play counts, even if the Rules do not allow the procedure adopted for that ball. However, the competitor incurs no penalty for having played a second ball, and any penalty strokes incurred solely by playing that ball do not count in his score.

In a match, you and your opponent would try to settle it on the spot. If you can't agree then the player plays the hole as he feels correct, and his opponent can lodge a claim (Rule 2-5) with the committee. The committee decides who is right and adjusts the match accordingly.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5820 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!