IGNORED

Bobby Jones VS Walter Hagen.

Chris (Golf Dude)
Note: This thread is 6774 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'd go with the one and only Bobby Jones.
What's in the Bag?
Driver:Nike NDS Ti with MFS 40+ Shaft.
3 wood and 5 wood: Tommy Armour 845 Hot Scott.
Irons (3-PW) Nicklaus IronMax JNS
Wedges: Vokey 200 Series 52 degrees. Vokey Spin Milled 56 degreesPutter: TaylorMade Rossa Modena 8.Ball: Ben Hogan The Hawk.

• Administrator

I'll take Hagen. Add a poll or something, then we can actually vote, eh?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
Jones for me. He's my all time favorite. Probably because he accomplished all he did and never turned pro. Could you imagine someone doing that in modern day golf?

No, but modern golf isn't one that really permits career amateurs to reach the level that Jones did, either. I guess some rich kid who never had to work a day in his life might have the time to do it, but the desire to do it? Unlikely.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No, but modern golf isn't one that really permits career amateurs to reach the level that Jones did, either. I guess some rich kid who never had to work a day in his life might have the time to do it, but the desire to do it? Unlikely.

Let's also remember that Hagen made a fortune off of his status as a professional moreso than his tournament winnings. His exhibition fees were many, many times what first-place money paid in the majority of tournaments in the day. (Hagen once paid his caddie the entire purse after winning the British Open, cheesing off the UK crowd no end, I might add. Of course, Hagen estimated that the round trip to play in England cost him $10,000 and the purse was $375, mere "folding money" to him.)

Hagen and Tommy Armour nearly convinced Jones to turn professional during a very unsatisfying period selling real estate in Florida. Hagen was also heavily involved in real estate speculation in Florida during the same time and came up with the idea of a head-to-head match play outing between he and Jones, 36 holes over two different courses. (Jones fans don't want to know how badly Sir Walter beat him. ) Hagen was able to do what few could which was to get into Jones' head during a match. Jones pragmatically concluded that he wasn't about to stake his next mortgage payment on his ability to beat the abilities and gamesmanship of guys like Hagen and Armour. Jones will always be my sentimental favorite based on a combination of personality, ability and accomplishment but, when he chose to "turn it on", Hagen would be the guy I'd put my money on. Does that turn out as a tie? Rick

Hi Folks:

Cool topic - a few thoughts -

1) If it were match play (preferably over 36 holes) I'd take Hagen - the master of all things match play for much of his career.

2) If it were 4 days of stroke play I'd take Jones - his Grand Slam year proves him capable of performing well under tremendous amounts of pressure (pressure that in the end appear to have been a primary cause for the abrupt retirement and shortened career).

3) There's a great book with support for either adversary

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s;=books

Recommended reading - put it on your stocking stuffer wish-lists, those of you that haven't already read it!

Walt

Note: This thread is 6774 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!