IGNORED

Keep pulling it

Note: This thread is 5843 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm having a problem at the moment with basically all of my irons, I keep pulling them, they are not drawing, they are just blocks to the left, it is really getting to me, I know my clubs have a bit of offset in them but I'm going to blame them.

cant be a block to the left. blocks are to the right for right handers.

if your pulling shots then you are swinging outside-in with a square clubface at impact.

check your divot pointing left of the target to confirm this.

Driver 905R 9.5 Deg Stiff Flex
3 Wood 904F 15 Deg Stiff Flex
Irons i5 Stiff Flex 3-PW
Wedges MALTBY Forged 53,56,60
Putter G5i Craz-EBall D-Feel

make sure you swing the club TOWARD your target, and make sure to come down on the same path you took the club back on.

good luck!

In my Xtreme II carry bag:

Mizuno Driver
MacGregor 3Wood
Taylormade Rescue Hybrid 3i CG Gold Graphite Irons (4-PW) 52* CG14 wedge Vokey 56* Sand Wedge Vokey 60* Lob Wedge 33" Newport

I ran into the same problem for about a month. I had a really weak grip and had began to strengthen my grip to get rid of the slice I had. But, I eventually had too strong of a grip and began to pull every iron. I even occasionally pulled a 3 wood or driver.

I had to work on weaking my grip and getting it to the right level. I had much better iron play on Saturday and was even hitting my 3 iron pretty straight. Now, I just have to work on my driver and 3 wood again. I might have to have a really strong grip for those two and then use my weak grip for my irons. Who knows?

Good luck. If you search, you can find a post of mine a few weeks back where people were giving me some advice. It might be helpful.
What's in the bag... ( Revolver)

Driver: Big Bertha Diablo 8*
3 Wood: 4DX Fairway 15*
3I-PW: X20 Tours (Rifle Project X Flighted 6.0)Wedges: CG12 Black Pearl 50* 54* SM Vokey X-Forged 58* C GrindPutter: Classic #2 66* lieBalls: Various

cant be a block to the left. blocks are to the right for right handers.

This nailed the issue. A slice and a pull are ugly stepsisters. They both come over the top with an outside to inside swing, but the clubface on the slice is facing at the target, while the clubface on the pull is facing left of the target.

Generally, a pull shows up on a quick transition at the top.

over the top, initiate the swing from the top with the hip turn versus the shoulder turn which causes an outside in swing

good drill to work with the timing is pausing for a moment at the top and consciously initiate the hips until the muscle memory is activated

They will beat their swords into golf clubs and their spears into putters. Nation will not take up sword against nation, nor will they train for war anymore. Old Tom Morris 2:4

I had problems last year pulling my irons because I was setting up with my arms too extended. This gave me a big in-to-out swingpath. The tip I use is to have no more than one fist width between the butt of your club and your beltbuckle (for irons).

"You can foment revolution or you can cure your slice - life is too short for both" David Owen

WITB*: 2010 winter edition

Driver: AyrtimeFW/hybrid: Distance Master Pro Steel 5w, 7w, 27* hybridIrons: Powerplay 5000 hybrids (6i-SW)Wedge: SMT Durometer 55 degPutter: Z/I Omega mallet*as soon...

What slackhouse said. Check your grip. I had the same problem. I was slicing and my instructor had me go to a stronger grip. It worked great for a while but then I started pulling everything left. If finally occurred to me that I had overcompensated and that my grip had become too strong. I backed off to a more neutral grip and that solved the problem for a while. Then, gradually I started slicing again and finally realized that I had overcompensated in the other direction. Right now my grip is just right. I'm hitting all my clubs nice and straight (most of the time). Hope it stays that way for a while. It's amazing to me how slight the difference is between too strong and too weak. Just a fraction of an inch too far one way or the other can be a disaster.

In the Bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher Ultralight XL 270

FW: Taylor Made 300 17 degree 
3-PW: Mizuno MX-23

AW: Mizuno TP-T11 52/07 (Bent to 50)
SW: Mizuno TP-T11 56/10

LW: Mizuno TP-T11 60/05

Putter: Original Ping Zing

Ball: Wilson Staff FG Tour

I was doing the same thing with the driver yesterday at the range, until all too late I realised my problem. In my effort to get my swing path in-to-out I was swinging too hard over my shoulder instead of letting my arms drop to start the forward swing.

In my bag:
Driver: G10 10.5 TFC 129 Shaft
3 wood: R7 Steel
Hybrid: 585H 21 Degree
Irons 3-PW: 735.CMWedges: Vokey 52.08, 56.14Putter: White Hot XG #5

I'm having a problem at the moment with basically all of my irons, I keep pulling them, they are not drawing, they are just blocks to the left, it is really getting to me, I know my clubs have a bit of offset in them but I'm going to blame them.

There are many different causes of pulls.

Modern irons available today all seem to have some degree of offset. If offset was at fault all players would be hitting pulls, and manufacturers would stop building them with offset. If you were pulling only your short irons then I might agree with others that your grip might be an issue, but if grip was the only issue then you would likely be hooking (or drawing) instead of pulling the long irons. The pull is likely a result of your swing path moving to the left as you swing down. Some people come off their back foot early and that reroutes the swing path to the left. Other people begin with a downswing that is on a steep angle and they pull their arms and (or) body to the left to try to save the swing. Those are just two possible causes of pulls. Without seeing your swing its a guessing game as to what is causing your pull shots.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

I'm going to preach this again, as one of my three root causes of many, many symptoms. In this case, I would say you're swinging with too much arms/hands. When the arms are overactive and either the body lags behind or is just too stagnant, one of two things happen (as noted: these things are closely related):

1) If the hands get "stuck" too, it's a dead push right
2) If the hands "catch up," they'll tend to flip very quickly and pull left

Connect yourself, the arms should swing only as fast as the torso can pull them through. Keep your hands as neutral/inactive as possible.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

Note: This thread is 5843 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!