IGNORED

Looks like the golf trips are going to cost more

snoodlelvr
Note: This thread is 5840 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/22/bu...ss&oref;=slogin

American is going to start charging for checked baggage, and there is no way that clubs will ever be an allowable carry-on. Hopefully the other airlines won't do this too, but I don't like where this is heading.

Wuzzinmebag:

Driver: Burner Draw 10.5°, Reg Flex
Hybrid: Rescue Dual 19°, Reg Flex
Hybrid: Rescue Dual 22°, Reg Flex4-GW: S9, Nippon 900 XH Steel ShaftSW: 588 DSG, 56°; 14° bouncePutter: White Hot XG #3 33"igolf GPS caddie(Somewhat) lowering that handicap one round at a time...

There's always the alternative of driving. My next golf trip is going to be within driving distance. Actually, all of mine so far have been. Sure, it would be tough for either of us to get to TPC Sawgrass from where we are, but Palm Desert is within reach for me.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There's always the alternative of driving.

Kind of hard when your tee time is @ St. Andrews and you're in IL! ;) ;)

I've spent most of my life golfing - the rest I've just wasted.

In my bag todayâ¦.
Driver: 2009 S9-1 10.5
19d Hybrid4-SW:2008 FP 58/10 Mizuno MP T-10Putter: White Hot XG Sabertooth

There's always the alternative of driving. My next golf trip is going to be within driving distance.

In case you didn't realize, gas is over $3.75 a gallon here in Texas. I imagine in California it's probably pushing $4. I guess if you next golf trip is in the same town you could probably save a few bucks

What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

Kind of hard when your tee time is @ St. Andrews and you're in IL! ;) ;)

Wait a few months, drive West through the land bridge from Alaska to Russia.

In case you didn't realize, gas is over $3.75 a gallon here in Texas. I imagine in California it's probably pushing $4. I guess if you next golf trip is in the same town you could probably save a few bucks

Yeah, gas is expensive. So is flying. It's a matter of which is cheaper and more convenient for my trip. There are plenty of places I could take a golf vacation around here that I can conveniently drive to and will cost me less than a plane trip.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yeah, gas is expensive. So is flying. It's a matter of which is cheaper and more convenient for my trip. There are plenty of places I could take a golf vacation around here that I can conveniently drive to and will cost me less than a plane trip.

Monteray comes to mind. More specifically, Pebble Beach, Spyglass, or Spanish Bay... No need for a plane, you just need to win the lottery to afford to play there

What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

You don't have to pay these fees if you become an AAdvantage elite member.

If you fly over 25,000 miles a year on American, you've already got the AAdvantage card in your wallet.

If you don't - don't worry. I'm about to tell you a not-very-well-known tip.

American/AAdvantage has something called the Challenge. It's simple. Call an AAdvantage rep and say that you wish to enroll in the Gold or Platinum challenge. For the Gold challenge, you simply have to fly 5,000 miles within 90 days. For the Platinum, it's 10,000 miles. To complete the Gold challenge, you just need to fly to the east (or west) coast once. For Platinum, do it twice or go to London. Once you fly it, you're AA 'metal', and are not subject to these silly baggage fees, can use the business class check-in line, and the elite security line at some airports and are the first group to board the plane always. You also get priority with upgrades as well.

Another tip, if you enroll in the Challenge, is to do it in June. Challenges started in the first half of the calendar year (01Jan - 01Jun) will give you elite status to the end of the current membership year only. Challenges started in the latter half of the calendar year (16Jun - 16Dec) will earn you elite status for the remainder of the current membership year as well as for the following membership year.

So, if I enrolled in the Gold challenge on June 15th, that means I am AAdvantage Gold for the rest of 2008 and all of 2009.

Give it a try. It makes flying that much easier.

I'm actually AAdvantage Gold and will be doing the Platinum challenge next month with a trip to London. St. Andrews anyone?

edit: Yay, this was my post #100. Someone want to reward me with a Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2? Hee hee.

In My TerraFirma Xi Bag:
Driver: R7 460 10.5° Fujikura REAX stock R-flex
3-Wood: Big Bertha Titanium RCH 75w Firm stock shaft
Hybrids: 585H 19.5° 4175 stock shaft
Irons (4-10): Big Bertha TT shaftsWedges: CG12 Black Pearl 52°10, 56°14, 60°10Putter: Studio Select Newport 33"Ball: ...

It's all relative. If they didn't charge the fee, they would just rise the prices of the ticket.

In the
AMP Cart Bag
Driver : 3Dx Square Tour 8°
3 Wood : 4DX
2H : Edge CFT TitaniumIrons : M685 3-PWWedges : CG12 Satin 54° and 58°Putter : Odyssey White XG #9 33"Balls : Staff ZIP

Spirit has been doing this for more than a year now on there trips to myrtle from laguarida.10 per bag at the gate and 5 per bag online up front.

In my new FT carry bag
FT-9 Tour nuetral 9.5
FT-15 degree 3 wood
Fussion Hybrids #2&4
Fussion irons with Grapholoy Pro launch Red shafts56&60 Cally X forged wedges with Red shaftsSG9 putterCally I ballBushnell Meadealist range finder

Note: This thread is 5840 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!