IGNORED

Cavity back clubs weight and cg

Note: This thread is 5817 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just curious. Does anyone else find that game improvement and super game improvement irons are just really too heavy overall, or too heavy towards the club head? I can hit a blade all day long and swing it nice and smooth and balanced, but pick up my cavity backs and it is like the club head is pulling me off plane all the time and making it really hard to control the club head. So frustrating. I play better with my dad's old set of ram accubar 1970s irons than with my 07 wilsons.

I bet stiff versus regular shaft has something to do with it as well (I hit stiff way better off grass than I do regular... odd because my swing speed with a 6 iron is only about 89 mph, always a 3/4 swing). I find myself hitting fat shots with the game improvement clubs. It's like you can't (or maybe aren't supposed to) control the club head. I find this stupid because I was taught to play percentage golf and shape shots... impossible with these things!

Ideas? I plan on playing golf the rest of my life, so switching to blades now really isn't a deterrent. I just though all this "technology" was supposed to help.
Favorite Practice Course:
Z Boaz Municipal, Fort Worth <<< Ben Hogan grew up playing here!
--------------------------------------------------

In the bag: 983E 9.5*, Fuji Speeder S RPM LP, 4W, Neutral Bias STAFF Ci6 irons, S (going up for sale soon) Tom Watson PVD 08 Wedges (G.S,L)... and a 4...

Check the swingweight on both irons and see what you like. Generally, all irons are about D2s but you can ask for what you want. My i5s are D0s and I heard some Ping irons go as low as C9 and such.

Driver: Tour Burner 10.5*
3 Wood: Hibore 15*
3 Hybrid: 3dx DC 20*
Irons: i5 4-PW
Gap Wedge: cg12 50*Sand Wedge: cg12 54*Putter: g5i anserIn my grom bag :)

If I take one of my dad's clubs to the store, could they measure and determine the swing weight? Or can I do it with a scale myself by just weighing and measuring the CG?

This seems to make a HUGE difference in my swing consistency btw.

In the bag: 983E 9.5*, Fuji Speeder S RPM LP, 4W, Neutral Bias STAFF Ci6 irons, S (going up for sale soon) Tom Watson PVD 08 Wedges (G.S,L)... and a 4...

Yeah just recently I switched to a more blade of an iron, and the feel is just so much more balanced, and now that I am better I feel like I can shape shots much better.

in the bag

Driver: 909D2 9.5° Oban Devotion Shaft

3 Wood: G10 15.5°
Hybrid: 3dx RC 20° Ironwood 

4-PW: MP-57's S300

Wedges: 51° MP-T Black Nickel 56° Vokey Spin Milled 

Putter: Tracy II 35" Iomic Grip 

Ball: Pro V1x

Just curious. Does anyone else find that game improvement and super game improvement irons are just really too heavy overall, or too heavy towards the club head? I can hit a blade all day long and swing it nice and smooth and balanced, but pick up my cavity backs and it is like the club head is pulling me off plane all the time and making it really hard to control the club head. So frustrating. I play better with my dad's old set of ram accubar 1970s irons than with my 07 wilsons.

I have the same problem with the game improving irons. They are hard to control. I use the Titleist DCI's which are more like a blade with the smaller heads but have some cavity on the back and like the way they feel. Take a set with smaller heads and partial cavity backs for a test drive at the store, you might like em. Mizuno, nike, and Titleist make some nice ones.

While waiting for a green to clear, my friend noticed the same thing comparing my irons to his irons. The "game improvement" clubs definitely have more weight in the head which are (obviously) thicker, etc.

The clubs really are not that much different in total weight.

It took a day or two to get used to, but I really cannot tell the difference any more -- if I really noticed the difference when I switched to this set.

I noticed a difference in weight distribution when demoing a set of Calaway x20 (?).
Michael Krolewski

In the Bag Boy Revolver Pro on a Clicgear 2.0 cart:
Acer Mantara XL Driver 10.5
Acer Mantara S.S 3 Wood; 3DX DC 15* Hybrid (3w/1h); 3DX DC 17* Hybrid (4w/2h); Acer XP905 Ti Hollow Core WS 4-9i; cg14 48* 2dot; cg14 54* 1dot; cg14 60* 1dot

I don't think club head weights vary very much. Is it possible that lighter shafts are being placed in the game improvement irons giving them a different feel? Is it possible differences in flex point or tip stiffness are affecting feel?

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

• 2 weeks later...

Took my dad to a pro shop last weekend. Had him try hitting the big cavity back clubs...said it felt like swinging a "weighted marshmallow at the ball". No feel of the club head / smooth momentum.

Guess I better start looking for some stiff blades like his.

Note: This thread is 5817 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!