IGNORED

Pre-Shot Routine

eberryhill7
Note: This thread is 5829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Do you have a pre-shot (full swing and/or putt) routine? What is it? Does it help you?
In the blue and tan grom Bag:

Driver r7 460 10.5*
Fairway Woods '07 Burner 15* and 18*
Irons 4-PW r7 XDWedges 47*, 52*, 58* CG14,Putter TiffanyBall One Tour D

On my driver I do the 20" - 15" - 10" swing.

I swing the driver about 20" off the ground, then take another 15" off the ground swing. And lastly a 10", then I hit immediately after. It keeps my driver backswing long and slow and less vertical. If I'm in a hurry I just do the 15", 10".

Putting -

I kneel down and put my finger in front of my face, and trace the line of the ball where I think it will go and where I want it to go, I try to mentally visualize it. I probably look rediculous, but it helps me =]

I'm interested in hearing others, I might have to adopt some...

"Everything will be ok in the end. If it's not ok, it's not the end."

Started playing - April 25th, 2008

In my bag: FT-5 Neutral Driver 9° 990B Irons Rifle Flighted Shafts (3-PW) Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Midslant Vokey wedges 252*08,256*12 and 260*04 PROV1xSequoyah National - A Robert Trent...

1 practice swing and go.
I have trouble letting myself over analyze a shot and I get stuck behind myself.
Putting is usually line the ball up 1 practice swing behind the ball and one next to the ball and then putt.

905R
LD-F 3-Wood
Vokey Oil-Can 252-08 degree
Cobra C Wedge 56-11 Vokey Oil-Can 260-08 degree Scotty Cameron Newport 2 35'' Pro V1x

Driver and irons, the routine is the same. I pick my target line from behind the ball. I choose an object, no further than 2 feet, and line up the club (behind the ball) to this target. I then take my swing. This is for all types of shots, too.

For putting, I look for any slope on both sides of the cup. My target is where I want the ball to start and align my putter. Then I just go.

I try to run through all my options before I address the ball. Once there, I try not to think at all.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

I'm a very, very quick player. I don't spend much time thinking about the shot. I try to let it come freely with rhythem. I'm more of a feel player than mechnical, I guess that is why.

On all shots except chip shots I take two practice swings, step behind the ball, look at my target, get over the ball, and wait about 2-3 seconds and then swing. I don't stand over my ball for 10-20 seconds like some people I've played with do.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

On the tee box I set up my ball and address it immediately, sometimes take one practice swing about 1-2 feet above the ball just to feel my arms wrap against my chest, then bend over and address again. Sometimes I will give a waggle similar to Quinney's just to feel and see the way the clubhead should be travelling back, then I go ahead and swing.

On iron shots I usually don't take a practice swing unless it's from deep rough; I will just address the ball and spend a couple of moments hovering the club just behind the ball while I imagine how my swing will feel. Then I go ahead and swing away.

On putts, I don't have a very good routine yet. I almost never pick up my ball to clean it or align it. I will take a cursory look at the break and then putt. I putt very poorly. It's a combination of needing more practice with my swing, needing more practice reading greens, and coming up with a better routine.

Sometimes I do the Spiderman pose to read the green though :)

Pre-shot routine before everything except putting.
  • 3 practice swings
  • step behind the ball
  • choose my shot trajectory and shape
  • pick my target
  • vizualize the shot
  • line up the clubface with feet together
  • take stance
  • SWING!!!

Putting
  • practice stroke for tempo
  • practice stroke for speed
  • step behind the ball
  • crouch to read green, with hands on either side of my eye to eleminate visual distractions
  • pick target
  • one more stroke for tempo
  • step up
  • line up club face
  • take stance
  • MAKE PUTT!!!

Here's what I play:

Titleist 907 D2 10.5* UST ProForce V2 76-S | Titleist 906F4 18.5* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist 585H 21* Aldila VS Proto "By You" 80-S | Titleist ZB 4-PW TTDG S300 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 54.10 | Bob Vokey Spin Milled Oil Can 60.08 | Scotty Cameron Red X5 33" |

Practice Swing facing 90 degrees to the right of the direction of the shot and then think about the shot i want to hit, line it up, and hope for the best.

Whats in my Warbird Hot Bad:

Driver: 907D1 9.5 - 65-S Aldila VS Proto --- FT-IQ coming soon?
2 Hybrid: Rescue mid-TP 16 deg
3 Hybrid: Rescue TP - HC Tour Only Model 19 deg - DG X-1004-PW: 695CB Irons - Project X 6.0Wedges Vokey SM58, Vokey SM54, Vokey 250Putter Futura PhantomWhere I WorkMy...

I'm more of a player that likes to feel the right mechanics. So my preshot goes something like thi

- Address the situation (of course, while I'm walking up to the ball)
- Check the yardage of where I want the ball to land.
- See the shot shape i want
- Then i try to feel the right mechancis for the shot that i want
- Pick an alignment aide
- One waggle, deep breath, forward press and swing

When putting

-Read putt from behind the ball
-align a line that i mark on my ball to the spot where i want to go (this way, i don't have to worry about the line, i just worry about speed)
-two or three practice swings for feel
-swing!

In my bag:

DRIVER: 905T w/ Fujikura E360 Shaft
3 Wood 906 F4 w/ Aldila Proto "By You"
Irons: MP 30 w/ Rifle 5.5 Wedges Oil Can 50*, Vokey SM 54* and 58*Putter: C-06

I take one practice swing unless it feels off, then I'll take a second but not too often.

I then place the club head behind the ball and take a deep breath and let it out slowly. This has helped me slow down, as a have a tendency in the past to rush my swing. Just as I'm finishing letting that breath out I start my take away and then follow through the shot.

This technique forces me to take my time at address and be methodical about it, for me its been worth 7-10 strokes over a years time.
Weapons Of Choice
R5 Dual 9.5* Driver
R7 Draw Hybrid 3
Tight Lies #4 16* Fairway Wood
HCT Tour Irons 5-SW CG-11 52 CG-11 56 CG-11 60 BC-101 Putter

I stand behind the ball and take a half practice swing, emphasizing a good wrist hinge and a nice flat plane. Then, I line myself up and go.

On the greens, I read it from both sides, take a couple of practice strokes beside the ball, line it up, and go.

Taking too mouch time just allows for bad thoughts to enter my head.

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

I stand behind the ball to get target line. Step to the side of the ball and take a practice swing. Address the ball on a line parallel to my target line. Start my slow take away
and accelerate through the ball. I am usually a sweeper so I just let the ball get in the way of my swing.

There are two things you can do with your head down - play golf and pray. ~Lee TrevinoI Like Photography Too

driver & irons: facing my target, I take a full swing & the speed & style I want (full swing, pitch, chip, flop).
After 1 or 2 full swings..depending on comfort of the shot, I square myself and then swing... the only time I'll change it is if I have a sidehill lie...where I'll swing to see where the club falls.

on a putt, I make sure my line is aiming in the direction that I want... I square up and take 2 practice strokes...then I putt.

my putting and ball striking has gotten so much better since I started a pre-shot routine
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

On full swings I'll take a couple of practice swings until it feels right. Then I'll step up to the ball, secure my feet, look at my target, take a smooth, on plane backswing, slowly put the club behind the ball again, secure my feet again, look at my target, swing.

On putts, I read the putt, line up the ball, take a couple of practice swings beside the ball, then putt.

Those work pretty well. I seem to have improved my ball-striking and putting since adopting them.
In the blue and tan grom Bag:

Driver r7 460 10.5*
Fairway Woods '07 Burner 15* and 18*
Irons 4-PW r7 XDWedges 47*, 52*, 58* CG14,Putter TiffanyBall One Tour D

Note: This thread is 5829 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!