IGNORED

Ian Poulter - Ass

iacas
Note: This thread is 2025 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Fair enough Poulter has had a lot of gaffs, but hasn't every one at some point in time.

Yes but the difference is most everyone else learns from it. Poulter doesn't seem to.

Andrew

1)

Tiger gobs in public, Fs and blinds - far more than anyone else. He gets defended. Duval and Toms ignore spectators and have been known to verge on rudeness in their treatment of them - I see no complaints/condemnation. Poulter is far from the only player who can behave like an oaf from time to time. I know it as well as anyone else who has followed the game in person. For some time, Monty appears to have been the main subject of vilification on this site; now the shadow seems to have moved on to Poulter. He's not the epitome of ideal behaviour but he's far from the worst. I think personal experience at The Memorial is perhaps being given too much weight, here. I've had glares and abuse from players and I don't think it's been justified. I've seen some pretty poor behaviour and not always been aware of anything that provoked it - but the reality is, something has, whether a bad round, a poor shot, or some nearby dork firing off their camera during a player's swing. If one is close to the action, that happens. I don't let it bother me - one moves on. If I did let it get to me then I wouldn't have a good word to say about Ballesteros, Westwood, Grace Park, Christie Kerr, Monty, Mark James (actually, I don't really have a good word to say about Mark James), even Ian Woosnam, the saintly Ernie Els and Blessed Anneka Sorenstam, etc, etc. And don't get me started on tennis, football (soccer), rugby and motor racing 'stars'. Pro sports players can behave very badly when things aren't going right - there are TV shows about it. No-one in particular deserves to be singled out above all others. I'd rather look for examples of outstandingly good behaviour. It doesn't take all that long...

• Administrator
Tiger gobs in public, Fs and blinds - far more than anyone else.

Tiger doesn't flip things off. Repeatedly. Tiger doesn't swear at random photographers who are doing their jobs (taking images during his swing isn't "doing their job"). I've photographed Tiger Woods several times - he simply tunes you out so long as you're not snapping shots in his back/down swing.

No, those are things Ian Poulter does, and he is largely alone. Tiger doesn't get "defended" by all - there are plenty who despise that Tiger swears. I don't "like" it, but I understand it. Swearing AT fans and flipping the bird crosses the line, though, big-time. I gave you four reasons. You've not negated them.
For some time, Monty appears to have been the main subject of vilification on this site; now the shadow seems to have moved on to Poulter. He's not the epitome of ideal behaviour but he's far from the worst.

Yeah, we talk about Monty all the time.

And dare I say just about all the conversation we've had about Monty here is well deserved. Had we had this site around ten years ago, Monty would have earned even more bad discussion. There's a reason the press doesn't like Monty at all... and it's partly his rabbit ears, his whining, etc. But he doesn't flip the bird every other round on the PGA Tour.
I think personal experience at The Memorial is perhaps being given too much weight, here.

He's flipped things off several times in the past year! I think some would agree that it's not getting

ENOUGH weight.
Pro sports players can behave very badly when things aren't going right - there are TV shows about it. No-one in particular deserves to be singled out above all others. I'd rather look for examples of outstandingly good behaviour. It doesn't take all that long...

Golf is a bit more respectful, and nobody speaking out leads to people like John Daly. I previously liked Ian Poulter a great deal, but I've lost all respect for him. He could earn it back, but he's got to answer for what he's done and make an effort to improve.

They tell AA members that the first thing they have to do is accept that they have a problem, right? Well, Ian Poulter has a problem - it's worse than other Tour pros - and he needs to accept it and improve. First you try to equate Ian Poulter to Luke Donald. I gave four good reasons why Ian was still an ass while Luke Donald was not.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

IMHO, Tiger - great golfer though he undoubtedly is - has dropped the bar of what is acceptable behaviour in a public forum. He's the best and he sets the standard that others follow. It was from day one on the pro circuit but his torrent of abuse after a bad shot at the US Open at Pebble Beach, 2000, captured on live microphone, was a plunge into previously uncharted depths - and, because it was him, it became somehow acceptable. Younger people follow the example set by their elders and sporting heroes.

It's a shame, in my view but, as I indicated, I've seen and been on the receiving end of a lot worse and I learned a while ago that if one can't stand the heat then one can always stay out of the kitchen.

IMHO, Tiger - great golfer though he undoubtedly is - has dropped the bar of what is acceptable behaviour in a public forum. He's the best and he sets the standard that others follow. It was from day one on the pro circuit but his torrent of abuse after a bad shot at the US Open at Pebble Beach, 2000, captured on live microphone, was a plunge into previously uncharted depths - and, because it was him, it became somehow acceptable. Younger people follow the example set by their elders and sporting heroes.

If a guy is an a$$ at 65 he probably was an a$$ at 25. I don't think Ian "learned" to be an idiot - I think he was born with it.

Andrew

If a guy is an a$$ at 65 he probably was an a$$ at 25. I don't think Ian "learned" to be an idiot - I think he was born with it.

He's fine when he's playing and competing well.

I wasn't around for his childhood so I can't comment on whether he was born with it or not - you have me at an advantage, there, it would seem.

Funny - Tiger was asked today what he thinks about other players blaming everything else on their poor game. Guess it holds more truth now.

That's why I love Ben Curtis - such a nice guy, he takes time for everyone - pictures, autographs, interviews - it doesn't matter, he'll take the time.

In my bag:
Driver: 907D1 10.5*, Aldila Spec-Grid S67 reg
Woods: Looking for a wood. Titleist 906F4 or Nike CPR.
Utility: CPR 2-3 hybrids, 22*-26*Irons: 755 Forged 4-PW, Tri-Spec Steel RegWedges: Vokey 200 series 56.10 SW, 60.04 LWPutter: Tracy 33"Ball: DT CarryI mark my Titleist by...

He's fine when he's playing and competing well.

Ian is rather young. Hard to believe his behavior is a new revelation or a habit recently cultivated.

Andrew

That's why I love Ben Curtis - such a nice guy, he takes time for everyone - pictures, autographs, interviews - it doesn't matter, he'll take the time.

Yes, he does come across well. Got a wee bit carried away when he won the British Open but he grew into his role.

That's gotta be expected though. Ranked what, 203rd? First Major played in - what a moment for all of us in Ohio and in the Kent/Columbus area.

For the record - he's a class act, and his caddie is no different.

In my bag:
Driver: 907D1 10.5*, Aldila Spec-Grid S67 reg
Woods: Looking for a wood. Titleist 906F4 or Nike CPR.
Utility: CPR 2-3 hybrids, 22*-26*Irons: 755 Forged 4-PW, Tri-Spec Steel RegWedges: Vokey 200 series 56.10 SW, 60.04 LWPutter: Tracy 33"Ball: DT CarryI mark my Titleist by...

That's gotta be expected though. Ranked what, 203rd? First Major played in - what a moment for all of us in Ohio and in the Kent/Columbus area.

He didn't act like an out-and-out prat: he said some stuff that will continue to haunt him, I'm sure. Principally about being in the elite.

I'd like to see him do well again and his form does seem to be improving. However, as this is off-topic - this thread isn't here for being nice to anyone - I suspect we'd best leave it, for now...

I saw the situation with Poulter and Iacas. I have lost ALL respect for Poulter, and I honestly hope he doesnt succeed in the game of golf. His antic at the St. Jude just cemented that. He needs to grow up and act his age.....not lik a little kid stomping his feet. I am not really a Tiger "fan", but I dont see the big deal in cussing at HIMSELF after a bad shot.....at least he isnt trying to blame it on everything but himself, like Poulter seems to have the habit of doing.

... Tiger "fan", but I dont see the big deal in cussing at HIMSELF after a bad shot...

When it's witnessed by everyone (of all ages) within a 50-yard radius and millions watching on TV, it is something of a big deal. It certainly doesn't set a good example. Maybe impressionable minds think that if they let their feelings rip, they can get better, too.

One can hope for improvement in everyone. Bjorn Borg, the 'iceman' tennis player, had a notoriously bad temper when he was a teenager. Learning calm helped him to become a much better player. McEnroe, his contemporary - complete opposite. Anyway, I'm bored with this, now.

• Administrator
Yes, he does come across well. Got a wee bit carried away when he won the British Open but he grew into his role.

Could we stick to topic, please?

I saw the situation with Poulter and Iacas. I have lost ALL respect for Poulter, and I honestly hope he doesnt succeed in the game of golf. His antic at the St. Jude just cemented that. He needs to grow up and act his age.....not lik a little kid stomping his feet. I am not really a Tiger "fan", but I dont see the big deal in cussing at HIMSELF after a bad shot.....at least he isnt trying to blame it on everything but himself, like Poulter seems to have the habit of doing.

Exactly: there's a difference between flipping the bird and cussing SOMEONE ELSE out versus cursing out yourself.

Again, I'm not gonna blame Tiger for doing stuff I see done daily and which I sometimes do on the course. I've sworn and I've buried a clubhead in the fairway. But I don't flip things off and I don't curse out the guys I'm playing with, the grounds crew, someone who is watching, etc.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I've got no problem with Poulter thinking, or even saying, that he's in the elite. He's earned that much IMO. But it's about time that he ACTED like it, and not like some weekend hacker having an unusually bad day.

As to Tiger "flat out throwing" a club ..... shock horror! I call it a flat our rejection of an instrument that clearly failed him in some obscure way .... I haven't actually thrown a club myself, but I've been within an ace. That's between him and the forged steel (up to a point).

Besides, I'm too cheap ....

Driver: Cobra 460SZ 9.0, med.
3 Wood: Taylor stiff
3-hybrid: Nike 18 deg stiff
4-hybrid:
Taylor RBZ 22 deg regular
Irons:5-9, Mizuno MP30, steel
Wedges: PW, 52, 56, 60 Mizuno MP30
Putter: Odyssey 2-ball

Everyone deals with frustration differently. As long as you dont direct it at OTHER people, I dont have a problem with it. Cursing when you hit a bad shot is something I would bet 99% of golfers do. I have yet to see anyone flip off a golf ball (like its the BALLS fault you shanked the putt), then pull out of the tourney because of an "unspecified injury". Poulter doesnt even come within the same galaxy of Tiger, as far as having the mental fortitude to be a consistent champion....and he wont until he grows up and owns up to his own play.

So did everyone miss Tiger throwing his club on the 18th on Sunday?

I feel that Iacas has taken offense to what happened to him when he took photo's of Poulter and this is the reason he focuses on Poulters behaviour.

Bad behaviour is exhibited by lots of top players on tour, some players behaviour is more publicised than others, hence a biased opinion against Poulter.

(Btw I am not trying to add fuel to the fire so to speak, I am just adding the other side of the argument, the other view point if you will.)

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

So did everyone miss Tiger throwing his club on the 18th on Sunday?

Nope - but I did miss what that has to do with Ian's behavior. Star a new thread if you like but Ian has acted like a petulant child - that's the discussion here.

Andrew

Note: This thread is 2025 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!