IGNORED

Playing a low knockdown shot with a hybrid or fairway wood?

Note: This thread is 5820 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How do golfers play in the wind with hybrids or fairway woods? How do golfers keep the ball low and out of the wind without ballooning in the air? My longest club is a 5-iron and it doesn't go that far while in the wind. I carry a 21* hybrid and 3 and 5 woods too. With the wind that I play in, it can be tough to control the ball with these clubs. Hoping to hear how others deal with this

I am probably going to build a 4-iron in the near future.

I play mostly at courses right on the coast where there is usually lots of wind so I only carry a hybrid 2 iron, depending on the course I will even leave it out and put in a normal 2 iron.

This is the number one problem I have experienced with using hybrids myself, I just can't seem to work the ball left to right, right to left or hit a low one as easily as I can with a 3 or 4 iron and I am more than comfortable with normal irons anyway. I'm a pretty decent sort of ballstriker and I do have the ability to hit a lot of shots as needed but not with hybrids. Unless you can regularly hit more than 50% of GIR you most likely shouldn't be trying to hit low shots or move the ball with a hybrid or fairway wood anyway, so my best advice is to just take a club or two more (hit a hybrid 2 instead of a 3) and hit the ball easier, I find that the easier you hit a hybrid the lower it goes, less backspin will be the reason for this.

When playing in wind with a hybrid or fairway wood, don't try to get too cute, just hit a normal shot with a bit more club and get it up near the green, if it hits the green then it's a bonus. When you try getting fancy is when things have a greater chance of going horribly wrong.

Some good tips from a fellow Aussie there. Thing is, many people tend to try and hit or swing at the ball too hard in the wind. Take a slightly wider stance and swing at 75%. A hydrid club... 2/3/4 is not designed for knockdown shots. They are designed to get the ball in the re-entry section of the atmosphere but I am sure you already know this.

Almost always seems to be windy here in New England...especially if you are anywhere near water. Drawing the ball has been a big help and has helped my game considerably in the wind. Playing the ball a little further back in my stance with irons and shortening my backswing and follow through is also helpful when you are hitting shots dead into the wind. Keeps the ball low.

I'm not very good at doing this with my fairway woods, results in a push. I usually just try to draw the ball if the shot allows it.

I put the ball in the back of my stance like a wedge shot and swing from 75% to 50%. If I swing any harder, I still get the ball way too high. I've gotten where I can slice or hook the ball around a tree with my 3 hybrid if I need to. It is pretty fun, though I'd rather be playing a 7 iron in the middle of the fairway.
What's in the bag... ( Revolver)

Driver: Big Bertha Diablo 8*
3 Wood: 4DX Fairway 15*
3I-PW: X20 Tours (Rifle Project X Flighted 6.0)Wedges: CG12 Black Pearl 50* 54* SM Vokey X-Forged 58* C GrindPutter: Classic #2 66* lieBalls: Various

I hit a brilliant 170 yd knockdown with my new titleist 585H hybrid on saturday..It can be done. That thing plays just like my 3i..it love it.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I put the ball in the back of my stance like a wedge shot and swing from 75% to 50%. If I swing any harder, I still get the ball way too high. I've gotten where I can slice or hook the ball around a tree with my 3 hybrid if I need to....

I practice this shot and use it now and then on the course. As slack house says, don't swing too fast and play it back. I also choke down on the club a little and be sure to chop off the follow through. I don't play in the wind too much, but it is a good shot to have if you are trying to advance the ball from under trees. It is easier than one would thiknk to draw or fade these shots a little as well. Hit a few at the range to get the feel and gain confidence.

SubPar

How do golfers play in the wind with hybrids or fairway woods? How do golfers keep the ball low and out of the wind without ballooning in the air? My longest club is a 5-iron and it doesn't go that far while in the wind. I carry a 21* hybrid and 3 and 5 woods too. With the wind that I play in, it can be tough to control the ball with these clubs. Hoping to hear how others deal with this

I was playing in an A-B-C-D tournament once and the C player asks me, "Mike, should I tee it low and try to keep it under the wind?"

I asked him, "You can hit the ball high or low anytime you want?" He replied, "Well, no." Me, "Well why would you try it now?"

Best, Mike Elzey

In my bag:
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 10.5 stiff
Woods: Ping ISI 3 and 5 - metal stiffIrons: Ping ISI 4-GW - metal stiffSand Wedges: 1987 Staff, 1987 R-90Putter: two ball - black bladeBall: NXT Tour"I think what I said is right but maybe not.""If you know so much, why are you...

My home course is right next to the shore so it is quite windy. I am very comfortable hitting my 4 and 3 iron after some practice. For my knockdown shot I take my 3 or 4 iron and play the ball middle or back of my stance depending on how low I want it and I usually shorten my stance. I don't why, but for me this helps. I choke up on the club about an inch and I take a 3/4 swing and try to keep my left hand flat. I think about keeping the back of my hand pointing at the target.

Note: This thread is 5820 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!