IGNORED

Strongest wind you've ever played in?

JKilgore44
Note: This thread is 5803 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Strongest wind you've ever played in?

• 5-10mph
    • 10-20mph
    • 20-30mph
    • 30-40mph
    • 40+ mph

At least it was Bandon Dunes.

Fantastic course, but our caddies were less than thrilled to be out there. :)

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

I played at the home of an LPGA Tour event in New Jersey (

Had a similar experience at Desert Canyon in Lake Chelan. Had 120 downhill to a green. Wind was back in my face. Hammered a 7 iron that stood up in the wind and I swear I saw it come back at me as it fell. Landed well short.

Titleist 907D1 10.5°
Titleist 906F4 15.5°
Titleist 906F4 18.5°
Wilson Staff Pi5 3-P
Titleist Vokey 56.14Cleveland CG12 60°Scotty Cameron Newport Two

The wind was howling off of Lake Lewisville yesterday when I played The Tribute. Hitting into the wind or with it wasn't too bad, you could kind of predict what was going to happen, but hitting across it, yielded a horseshoe shaped shot, the ball would start to come back like a darned boomerang. It was weird.

Amazing course though. I'd love to play it again.

In my Sasquatch Tour Bag:

Driver - G10 10.5°: UST Pro Vorce V2 Shaft, Regular flex
Hybrid - G10 21° & 24°: TFC 129H, Stiff flex
Irons - S57 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW - Nippon 950GH stiff shaftsWedges - Tour 52°, 60° 56°Putter - 34" TracyBall - Treosoft

I played in 45-50 mph last week and it was absolutely miserable. I'm used to playing in 20+ mph but when it gets to 40, you can't control your ball flight at all. I like the challenge of a windy day but that was ridiculous.
In my Vantage bag:
Driver::905R 8.5*(V2)
3 Wood:Launcher 13*(V2)
Irons:AP2 (Project X 5.5) (3-W)
HybridTWS 19*Gap wedge:CG15 50* Sand wedge:CG15 56*Putter:: XG9 (35")Ball:ProV1X

The strongest wind I ever encountered while playing happened about 3 years ago. I was playing with my friend who was visiting me from europe. We played at the Crandon Park G.C. (The Links at Key Biscayne) down in Miami. It was October in the middle of hurricane season, and luck us, we did'nt get disappointed as Hurricane Wilma is about to blow into town. All I remember is I hit a driver straight with about a normal flight path and landed less than a hundred yards in the middle of the fairway. In one of the Par 3's my buddy John aimed almost 40 degrees left of the gren and still landed way over to the right of his target. The condition was so awful that the balls that we landed on the green moves about 8-10 feet by the time we are ready to putt it.

The only good thing about the whole experince is that no other faithfuls loiter around the course, making our round fast.
Tools of the Trade :

Driver 907 D2 9.5* Fujikura (stiff) or 905 R 9.5* Diamana white (stiff) or ERC Hot (japan) 10* Fujikura Speeder 586 Tour Spec (stiff)

Woods/Hybrid: Burner Rescue 19* & Reax SF65 (Graphite Stiff) X hot 3 woods 15* Fujikura (stiff) Irons: ZM Forged Irons 3-9 Steel (stiff) Wedges...

The only good thing about the whole experince is that no other faithfuls loiter around the course, making our round fast.

That was the deciding factor when I played in 40mph winds. The course was deserted and I knew that I wouldn't have to wait on ayn tee boxes. I knew I could handle a little wind, but I can't handle waiting on every box

What I play:
Cleveland HiBore XLS 9.5 Fujikura Stiff flex | Titleist 735.cm Stainless Steel True Temper S300 3-PW | Titleist Vokey GW 52 | Cleveland 588 SW 56 | Titleist Vokey LW 60 | Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless | Titleist Pro V1x

Where I play:
Texas A&M UniversityHow I play:Goals for 2008

Played Royal Cinque Ports (really nice links course in South England) last year in silly high winds, the members were saying its the strongest winds they had seen, I shot 89, a member off this forum shot 114/116 and somehow level par won it, but the boy who won it went out quite early when the winds wernt as bad.

It was the sort of wind where a 25 yard push would end up left of where you aimed and 90 yard 7 irons were common in to the wind (I hit my 7 about 155 - 160 just for reference)

In my Ping UCLAN Team Bag

Nike Sasqautch 9.5 - V2 Stiff
Cleveland HiBore 15 - V2 Stiff
Ben Hogan Apex FTX, 2 - PW - Dynamic Gold StiffNike SV Tour 52, 58 - Dynamic Golf StiffYes Golf Callie - 33 inchesBall - Srixon Z star X

I lived in Northern England for four years and played numerous courses there and in Scotland, I don't think there were to many rounds that the wind wasn't around 30-40+ MPH. There were some really calm days, but you could always count on the wind blowing and some sprinkling during a round.

After a while you get use to it, but I returned to the states (Augusta, GA) for a few months and was amazed in the difference of my game with little to no wind, and of course the different types of courses.

Gus
---------------

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I lived in Northern England for four years and played numerous courses there and in Scotland, I don't think there were to many rounds that the wind wasn't around 30-40+ MPH. There were some really calm days, but you could always count on the wind blowing and some sprinkling during a round.

too true, the wind makes the course different everyday here in tropical scotland.

Note: This thread is 5803 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!