IGNORED

High handicap/low budget golf trip?

Note: This thread is 5942 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Simply put, the wife is going on a weekend jaunt with a friend and I mentioned the possibility of maybe going on a golf weekend this winter to which she, surprisingly, did not beat me to death for saying.

If I am going to do it, though, I should probably start at least researching my options now so I can set it up. I look to you, the far more astute and well traveled golfers of the board, to help me out here.

I am a high handicapper and so is anyone who will be coming with me, so I am not really looking to play the best 5 star courses in the country. Just looking for a nice climate with reasonably decent and affordable golf. The trip will, no doubt, be a golf trip though...not just using golf as an excuse to go gamble or be at bars and strip clubs with my buddies. Would like to play at least 18 holes a day where ever we go, a variety of courses would be nice, but I wouldn't complain about golfing the same 1 or 2 places every day either.

Has to be a warmish weather climate, obviously, as the hope is to avoid the cold and snow of Chicago for a while.

Budget will be $1500 or so. Cheaper would be better, obviously.

Is this possible? If so - where?

Blog Internetz | Twitter | Rolling Knolls
----
Super LoCo 457cc 10*
Tight Lies 16* & 13*
Recovery 21* Pure Distance 4-PW Diadic 52* and raw 588 60* Anser 4 blade U-Tri Tour

Florida, Arizona and SoCal are the three prime Winter spots for golf in the US. The top tier courses are expensive from Dec to March, but since you are not concerned about playing those you have lots of options. The Scottsdale/Phoenix area is great and has a lot of things to do, places to eat and shopping for the wives. However, even many of the second tier courses are expensive during the Winter months. There are some bragians though. These are decent courses that can be played inexpensivelyin Winter : Vistal, Apache Creek, Desert Springs, Dobson Ranch, Estrella Mountain,Hillcrest, Kokopelli,Maryvale, Cave Creek, Mountain Shadows and Painted Mountain.

In Florida, first decide where you want to go... Orlando area, Tampa area, Miami area etc. Ther are plenty of decent courses in any of those areas that will kep your trip within budget.

Orlando: EagleBrooke, Black Bear,Deer Island, Palisades, Forest Lake, Lake Orlando

The main thing if you are a group of High handicappers, is to play from the correct tees and play fast so as to keep up with the group in front of you

Tampa: Fox Hollw, World Woods, Buffalo Creek, Wstchase, Bloomingdale

Florida - Orlando area is thick with courses and often good deals can be found there because of the Mickey influx of people.

Don't overlook places like N. Carolina or Georgia.

A while ago I looked into getting some sort of deal for Pebble. IIRC (and this was like a year ago) off season, one round at Pebble and one at Spyglass with 2 night stay at Pebble was 1800. I imagine a guy could find something like you want at a very nice price if Pebble is/was going for that (it was right off the Pebble website - really kicking myself for not taking the chance to golf there when I could almost free). Heck the Monterey Penn. is lousy with places as well. Stay at the Double Tree for a treat and simply take a cab to the courses. Cheap enough.

Then there is Whistling Straights up here as well. Close enough to Milwaukee if you really crave the night life but they offer some great golf.

Andrew

I am definitely not in the market to play any top tier courses. Someday when I have more time and money and talent, yes, but this is more about getting out with a few friends and getting some golf in over the winter. My home course is 60/114 and I rarely play places higher than 71/120. I am happy on public courses where other people are playing off the wrong fairway.

On my honeymoon I set up a tee time to play Magnolia because, unbeknownst to me, it was included in our honeymoon package. I ended up not going because I had nobody to play with and did not want to end up playing in front of/hitting a tournament pro with an errant drive, as I was told when booking the time that there were some pros playing the course because of an even there the following weekend.

Deeply regret not taking that tee time now. I could have used a set of Cobra clubs for free, too. I am an idiot.

----
Super LoCo 457cc 10*
Tight Lies 16* & 13*
Recovery 21* Pure Distance 4-PW Diadic 52* and raw 588 60* Anser 4 blade U-Tri Tour

I too am a high handicapper. In a little bit of traveling, I have found you can go just about anywhere and play. And my observation is as long the group you are playing with is not the league champions, golfers welcome you to their course. As long as you play quickly, no one really cares. Most were (are) just like you.

I have done a few resort courses, and you should be able to play some fairly nice courses in the $100-200 range. And since this is a vacation, splurge a little.

I also liked renting clubs. Unless you have great, fitted clubs, it might be easier to just rent at the course. Just bring you shoes, balls and you are good to go. Save the $100 each way for baggage.

You question may be what ask is what are you looking to do. Many people want to do that once in a lifetime round like Pebble Beach, etc. Others are looking to get a round in as many states as possible. Others want to get in as many rounds as possible (6 rounds in 4 days) so proximity and accessibility are driving factors. Maybe the cost is part of your decision eg 4 rounds at $50 is better than 1 at $200. Others want all inclusive packages with hotels, rounds, car rental, etc. Others are just looking to get out of the snow and wet.

I have found almost any course can be fun if it is in good shape. If you are concerned about the course, scope out a few different courses before going and drive up and check them out when you arrive. Most states/regions have a listing of most of the public courses, costs, length, etc. (seattlegolfguide.com as example) Most courses have a web sites with a scorecard, map, etc. Google earth/yahoo earth are great to get look at the course layout, hazards, etc. A lot of munis are actually good values and nice courses.

As someone said, south Cal (Long Beach, San Diego, Palm Springs), Florida, Georgia, South Carolina are great areas. Most of the west coast is up and running including all the way up to Washington. Las Vegas/Reno/Tahoo are good places.

I went to Hawaii and found several courses around Honolulu that are quite reasonable given they are resort courses.

Enjoy your trip.
Michael Krolewski

In the Bag Boy Revolver Pro on a Clicgear 2.0 cart:
Acer Mantara XL Driver 10.5
Acer Mantara S.S 3 Wood; 3DX DC 15* Hybrid (3w/1h); 3DX DC 17* Hybrid (4w/2h); Acer XP905 Ti Hollow Core WS 4-9i; cg14 48* 2dot; cg14 54* 1dot; cg14 60* 1dot

How about Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. IIRC there are over 100 courses in the area. So there's the whole spectrum of courses, from super expensive to more affordable.

10.5 deg Ping G30, Callaway X2 Hot Pro 3W, Taylor Made Rescue 3H, Ping G30 irons
Cleveland TA 900 SW, Mizuno T-Zoid LW, Odyssey DF Rossie I

http://golfshot.com/members/0622056080

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

How about Myrtle Beach, South Carolina.

Myrtle Is really not a good winter destination unless you are a die hard golfer looking for cheap green fees. It can get quite cold in MB from Dec to Feb. If you are looking for a break from the winter blues you need to go further south. I've done MB in Winter several times, but it is not for most people.

Define cold? Because I have golfed here in the winter in like 30 degrees and that is no big deal to me. Truth be told, I hate golfing when it gets over 70 degrees, personally.

Cost is definitely a factor and I would rather play 4 rounds at $50 than 1 at $200. I am going to save my trips to the top tier courses for later in life...for now I just want to play some golf. Because cost is a factor, I am definitely looking for a shorter flight so GA, SC and FL are probably my best bets...plus...if I go to GA or SC...I can get some BBQ!

I was looking on golfzoo.com and saw some relatively inexpensive trips to Jekyll Island...anyone ever vaccationed there?

----
Super LoCo 457cc 10*
Tight Lies 16* & 13*

I would suggest the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail in Alabama. Most of the courses are in the $45-$60 price range. Lots of good packages available. Many of the stops have 36 holes. I especially like Grand National in Opelika.

sent you a PM with some info on FL. My wife and I go there regularly to play.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I would suggest the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail in Alabama. Most of the courses are in the $45-$60 price range. Lots of good packages available. Many of the stops have 36 holes. I especially like Grand National in Opelika.

I agree RTJ is affordable and a good golf trip.

A couple of nice Palm Springs locales I'd reccomend:

http://www.desertspringsresort.com/

http://www.laquintaresort.com/

And here's a general info site for Palm Springs resorts:

http://www.palmsprings.com/golf.html

Desert Springs is really quite nice. It's a large scale hotel/villa/golf course (two) developement with everything else you'd need on site. Spas, restaurants, shopping and night clubs.

La Quinta is a bunch of Villas also with spas and restaurants with some shopping and two golf courses on site. But you also get access to the PGA West courses through La Quinta.

I'm sure a 75* day in winter is just the change of pace you're looking for from Chicago...

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

I will have to agree, I am in ATL, and play the Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail in Alabama quite often. The prices are very reasonable on most courses. As mentioned Grand National in Opelika AL, is fantastic. It is not the easiest, but you will find all handicap ranges there with it being so close to Auburn University. Florence Alabama just opened a 36 hole RTJ course. It is great as well.

Note: This thread is 5942 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!