IGNORED

(Winter) Workout?

iacas
Note: This thread is 6617 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you train (weights, cardio, etc.) for golf?

• No! I say "no pain, no pain!"
    • Yes! I want to be as good as I can be.
    • I train, but it's not specifically for golf. Just health.

• Administrator
I didn't work out much last winter, but this winter I want to join a gym, both for the cardio (racquetball) and for some of the machines.

I hear many, many reps with light weights and things that work on your core are good exercises, but I'm just now starting to do the research. Give me another week and I'll have a plan.

I improved enough this year that I know I can improve even more by doing some off-season training, so I'm bound and determined to do it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I didn't work out much last winter, but this winter I want to join a gym, both for the cardio (racquetball) and for some of the machines.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/index.html Very good information, don't get fulled by the name of the web site.
DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

• Administrator

I do have

this thing , and Jeff is reviewing a training/workout set of books/PDFs... but I'm also looking for MyTPI to come online... Worst case, the Pedersen book is a good way to go. I did it sporadically last winter.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I do some sort of exercise 5 days a week, for 45 min. While I don't specifically train for golf, I do a lot of abs, shoulders and forearms, which are important muscles. For me, I have to change my workout often because I get too bored (that damn ADD).

Right now, I'm doing the majority of my time with weights, although, I think 2006 will be the year of my first Marathon, so running will be in order.

Erik, let me know what workout you decide. I'm always looking for a new program to try.

Josh Premuda
www.thesandtrap.com

Driver Titleist 905T 8.5 degrees
Ping I2 3-wood 14 degreesTitleist 503.H hybrid 22 degreesTitleist DCI 962 3-9 6.5 Rifle shaftTitleist Vokey Oil Can wedges 48, 58 degreesScratch Golf 3x Black Wedge 54 degreesBig Oak Putter, T'ville 34"

• Administrator
Erik, let me know what workout you decide. I'm always looking for a new program to try.

Dave does some workouts. We talked about it briefly when I was down there... I'm waiting for him to add to this thread...

But I'll let you know, yeah.

I don't train for golf right now, but I train for baseball my college sport.
DBake
Titleist 909D3 10.5* Tour Green 89 Stiff
Titleist 906F2 15* v2 85 Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 2-PW S300
Mizuno MP-R 52* & 59*Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5Titleist Pro V1Leupold GX-1The Home Course (75.7/130)

• 1 month later...
Last year was a poor workout year. The couple years before that my routine was pretty simple. I ran 2-3 miles every other day to get a good cardio workout. On those days, I did a light lifting routine bench pressing, doing some lat pull downs and some military presses. Always with a light weight set and quick reps. After my run I would also do some crunches and abdominal work.

On the non-running days, I hit the weights much harder. The same routines as above, but I added some curls and some other lifting with free weights to strenghten the shoulders. I'd probably lift for around 45 minutes. After lifting I would hit the exercise bike for 20 minutes to get my heartrate up.

I was in the best shape of my life. I've never been a great runner, but I could get 5 miles done in under 50 minutes. Sure, I felt like death afterwards, but it was worth it. I've just started getting back into running on my treadmill at home. I've been running every other day for about 20 minutes to get my stamina up. Once I do that I'll get back into the weight room and lift some.

I think everyone knows the secret about lifting for golf though...more reps and lighter weights. I didn't bulk up much, but felt stronger.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

I've raced bicycles for over 12 years now and was in the best condition of my life two years ago with all the riding and racing I was doing. I was averaging 14 hours a week on the bike plus a few couple more hours for weight training. Now that I travel so much with my job I haven't had any time to train and stay conditioned and I definately notice the differece in my health and my mental well being. I'm actaully more tired now than when I was physically fit so I'm trying to get back into riding, running and weight training to help out. Now that I'm playing a lot more golf I'll add some flexability training but I figure the other training alone will improve my game a little

I've raced bicycles for over 12 years now and was in the best condition of my life two years ago with all the riding and racing I was doing. I was averaging 14 hours a week on the bike plus a few couple more hours for weight training. Now that I travel so much with my job I haven't had any time to train and stay conditioned and I definately notice the differece in my health and my mental well being. I'm actaully more tired now than when I was physically fit so I'm trying to get back into riding, running and weight training to help out. Now that I'm playing a lot more golf I'll add some flexability training but I figure the other training alone will improve my game a little

You may be a bit biased, but do you find riding a better form of exercise than running? My boss is a bicycle fanatic (the $3000+ per bike kind) and swears by it. I'm not going to go off and buy one, but I have a lot of parks and backroads around here that may lend itself to biking very well.

Currently, I spend a lot of time running/treadmill and from what I hear it can be hard on the knees in the long run.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Hi Dave,
I bought a super light mountain bike about 7 years ago and will never regret it. I also owned an ultra-light road bike but only the $1500 type back about 15 years ago. Ended up wearing it out. This spring I'll buy a new road bike, probably the ultra lights. I was an avid runner as well when I was younger. I would say cycling is better for your knees and body than running, especially if you're over 29. For those that have never been on an ultralight road bike your missing a major thrill. It's so much easier and enjoyable than the inexpensive heavier bikes and it's a great way to stay in shape.

You may be a bit biased, but do you find riding a better form of exercise than running? My boss is a bicycle fanatic (the $3000+ per bike kind) and swears by it. I'm not going to go off and buy one, but I have a lot of parks and backroads around here that may lend itself to biking very well.

I started to concentrate more on cycling around 20 when my knees would ache after longer runs (10 miles+) Not to go too far off topic but the reason I love running so much as a sport is that your results are all on you, no teamates or equipment to blame. However it is tough on your legs, knees and hips. As I grew taller and gained weight I learned that running just isnt my sport anymore. On my cycling team we have many ex runners still looking for a low impact but high intensity workout and cycling is perfect for that.

Currently I'm 6'2", weigh 203 and have gotten out of shape from traveling so much with my job (having the company buying my dinners didn't help either) but when I was a runner I was a little shorter but a lot lighter, around 155. Even in my best shape two years ago I was 165 but the bike builds more muscle than running. I am one of those cycling nuts like your boss, in fact when we had our house built my first rule was that my bikes get parked inside the house, all four are in my office now. I also have a seperate insurance policy on them and yes they're worth more than my car. Actually don't tell my wife but one of them is worth more than her wedding ring *gasp* (she knew that going into the marriage ) So long story short I think cycling is a great way to get a high intensity low impact workout. Plus riding is something that can be shared with the family, friends, etc and you get to enjoy the outdoors as well.

I didn't vote because I fall under each choice there. It's actually pretty funny you have the "no pain, no pain" choice, because I jokingly use that as my mantra with my trainer. Also, my trainer is also a golfer, but I don't think he's training me strictly for golf, but more to get myself strong all over.

I've got quite a nice situation for myself in that the club that I work at has it's own gym, which I have privileges to use. On top of that, I am a pretty decent friend with the manager, so he hooks me up with training at a discount. So, for the first time ever, I started a work out regimen about 3 months ago. Every Tues. and There. for an hour.

The first month I was totally drained of all energy after this guy was through with me. Not to mention, incredibly sore for the 3 days to follow. The second month my stamina got a little better, but I'd still be quite sore for some time after. Now, I'm actually starting to see results, my arms are definitely getting bigger, my stomach is getting smaller, and my legs stronger. And I'm only sore up to the next afternoon.

Being that I work in the pro-shop 6 days a week, 1-5pm, I really don't have any time to play (It's dark at 5pm). So I've really dedicated this winter to my physical development, which I believe in turn, will help my golf. I've also combined training with re-reading, and actually applying in my own way, Ben Hogan's Five Lessons. When I do get time to practice, I've really seen some good results.

I'm quite excited to see daylight savings time!

I never ever, in a million years thought I'd find myself in a gym, but I'm surely glad I decided to start this. Better late than never I guess.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

• 2 months later...
http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/index.html

Great link from one of the first replies. Im gonna start the trunk training workout, because aside from wanting to be in good golf shape, my lower back is killing me when I wake up in the morning for the first three hours or so, maybe this can alleviate some of the pain
Driver-Taylor Made R7 460cc 10.5* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Fairway Wood-Taylor Made R7 Draw 15* Fujikara REAX Stiff
Hybrid Taylor Made 19* Rescue Mid Steel Stiff
4-PW-Golfsmith G40 TT Lite XL Stiff
GW-Ben Hogan Riviera 8* Bounce 50*SW-Ben Hogan Riviera Medium Bounce 56*LW-Cleveland 60* 588 ChromePutter-Taylo...

• 2 weeks later...
Over the winter I started working out, specifically for golf. I had been going to the gym about 4 times a week prior, but over the winter, and still now, I'm there 6 days a week, training for golf. Yea it helps my overall fitness, but I'm there stricly for golf. Also, I will continue to do so all through the season. Last year, during the season I stopped lifting, then when you try and get back into the gym, it takes a long time to get back up to where you were.
Northeastern University Golf Team

In Play:
Driver - Titleist 905R 9.5*/Aldila NV 75sFairway Wood - Titleist 904f 14.5*Dynamic Gold S300Hybrid - Cleveland Halo 2Iron(19*)Irons - Titleist 735cm(stainless)/Dynamic Gold S300 (Bent +0.5 degrees upright, +1.0 degrees strong) Wedges - Callaway...

I bowl three times a week during the winter, that's enough exericise for me, keeps my legs and arms and back limber enough for golf. being 55 I'm happy staying in the low to mid 70's, yes I do have the days when it all goes bad and end up in the 80's.

R7 9.5 S Shaft
560 R7 quad R shaft
RAC LT irons
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum

Note: This thread is 6617 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!