IGNORED

USA Ryder Cup chances without Tiger

DavidFehertysBike
Note: This thread is 5795 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

He said he is done playing 36 holes a day when asked why he didn't try to qualify for the U.S. Open. He said he is too old for that. I have my doubts. If I was captain, and Kenny Perry didn't qualify on his own, he wouldn't be a part of my team. I'll take guys like Hunter Mahan, Zach Johnson, etc. if they don't qualify on their own. The whole "winning" thing Azinger has mentioned is a little overrated.

I would tend to agree. Although Kenny has helped me in the Sand Trap Fantasy League this year, I question his choices in skipping the US Open and the British Open. If you want to play your way on the team, show what you can do in the brightest lights. He was great at the Memorial, but I want guys that are willing to go all out to win. Skipping the British to stay home and earn points at a lesser event does not sit well with me. That's like saying "Coach, can I play on the JV this week? I want to try and get some stats instead of playing against the best."

Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Does he ever do well in the Ryder Cup? I don't really remember him in the last one very clearly. I think we'll do alright in the next one. I think we will win.

Driver Ping G10 10.5*
Hybrids Ping G5 (3) 19* Bridgestone J36 (4) 22*
Irons Mizuno MP-57 5-PW
Wedges Srixon WG-504 52.08 Bridgestone WC Copper 56.13
Putter 33" Scotty Cameron Studio Select #2

I would tend to agree. Although Kenny has helped me in the Sand Trap Fantasy League this year, I question his choices in skipping the US Open and the British Open. If you want to play your way on the team, show what you can do in the brightest lights. He was great at the Memorial, but I want guys that are willing to go all out to win. Skipping the British to stay home and earn points at a lesser event does not sit well with me. That's like saying "Coach, can I play on the JV this week? I want to try and get some stats instead of playing against the best."

I cannot believe Kenny Perry skipped both the US Open and the British Open. He cant be a proper golfer and must be a gaylord

. I would like to see Tiger offer some moral support at the Ryder Cup and request that he carries Phils bag for 4 days out of forgiveness for not playing. Whatever happens, it will be a cracker in Valhalla and im looking forward to some gratuitous violence from both sides.

My opinion is in the same boat of the others that think we may do better without Tiger. The US won't have the expectation of Tiger pulling through for the team (which he doesn't seem to do in Ryder Cups anyhow) and the others on the team won't have to live up to a level Tiger is supposed to play at. They'll be free to play whichever style they choose, still with the goal to win of course. But, I've been developing the sensation that this year might be the US's.

Callaway RazrFit Extreme 9.5 w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XHot Pro 15* 3Wood w/Project X 6.5
Callaway XTour 18* 2h w/S300
Callaway XHot Pro 4/5 irons w/S300
Callaway XForged III 5-PW irons w/S300
Callaway Forged 52*/58* Wedges
Odyssey 7 Versa 90
Callaway Hex Black Tour

My opinion is in the same boat of the others that think we may do better without Tiger. The US won't have the expectation of Tiger pulling through for the team (which he doesn't seem to do in Ryder Cups anyhow) and the others on the team won't have to live up to a level Tiger is supposed to play at. They'll be free to play whichever style they choose, still with the goal to win of course. But, I've been developing the sensation that this year might be the US's.

There should be no pressure on them at all. With Tiger we were getting our asses handed to us. Maybe we can actually play the no respect card this year and use it for motivation. The problem now is that our best player on the team is softer than ice cream on a hot summer day.

Driver: 9.5° 905R Stiff Aldila NV 65
3 Wood: 15.° Pro Trajectory 906F4 Stiff Aldila VS Proto Blue
Hybrid: 19.0° 503 H Stiff Dynamic Gold S400
Hybrid: 21.0° Edge C.F.T. Ti Stiff Aldila NVS
Irons: 775cb 4-GW w/S300 Sand Wedge: Vokey 58° Puttter: Laguna Mid-Slant Pro PlatinumBall: ProV1Bag: Li...

Tiger has never been an anchor for the US team- theyd play better without him i think.

Kenny Perry...????........will rocco make it by himself or be a capt'ns pick

in my bag
driver: r9 with Fujikura Motore 65g stiff shaft
3w-5w: Sz with stock shafts (aldila hm) stiff
irons(3-pw): s59 stiff
wedges: 52deg. rac satin vokey spin milled 56deg. putter: xg9ball: b330rx

What hasn't been mentioned is that he is world number one, and to replace him means that a person who wouldn't have been picked but for his injury now has to be picked, in essence somebody CONSIDERABLY lower in the rankings.

Even though Tiger's record hasn't been great, it isn't bad, and he is pretty much guaranteed to get 2-2.5 points for the US, i doubt the replacement can guarantee that!

Without doubt it is a blow to the US

Driver - 905r 9.5* with UST Proforce VT Stiff
3 Wood - SQ 3+ 13* with Grafallloy prolaunch blue Stiff
5 Wood - SQ 5* 19 with Aldila NV65 stiff
Irons - MP 67 3 + 5-PW 2deg Up + 1/2" with DG S300 shaft.
Wedges - SV 52/10 with true temper s400 BV Spin Milled 56/10 Wedge Flex BV Spin Milled 60/04...

There are some great Ryder Cup Questions looming, and this is a good one (some more below).

Obviously losing the World #1 ranked golfer hurts the US team, and hurts badly. I was thinking the Tiger/Furyk team would be unstoppable on US soil. But, I also thinks this gives some of the American players the opportunity to "step up" their game to make up the loss -- I think this could actually help them perform a little better.

Here are some other questions to discuss.....

1. Will Tiger show up at Valhalla and support the team throughout? I think he will and I actually believe it will be a big boost to the American team that he does.

2. How will Azinger have the course set? Or, in other words, what set-up will most help the US team (bombers paradise, or US Open style)?

3. Do you really think Mediate will make the team? I do not. Great showing in the US Open, but his game is not consistent enough to count on. I would rather take someone else (Holmes if the course suits his game, Mahan, Trahan).

4. Will the Americans actually be a betting underdog on their own soil? Probably not, but I will have a dollar or two on the Americans to win this year.

Ultimately, it comes down to holing putts......going to be fun.

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

There are some great Ryder Cup Questions looming, and this is a good one (some more below).

1. He may show up, but it'll likely create a media sensation and end up hurting the team. The US team has been hurt by distractions in recent Cups (photo-ops, team dinners, overactive captains, unnecessary media scrutiny) ... the team will perform better if Tiger stays home. 2. I think he should set it up to maximize birdie opportunities. Soft greens and wide fairways would assist the stereotypical American player who hits the ball high and far. With most European golfers training and living in America nowadays, however, I don't think there's that big a disparity between the two teams' styles of play. 3. No. Shouldn't be a captain's pick either. 4. The US team will likely be favored in Vegas, but they should be the underdog. A question of my own: Since Tiger will obviously finish in the top 8 of the Ryder Cup points standings, does the player 9th on the list make the team, or does 'Zinger get 5 captain's picks (instead of 4)?

What's in my bag:

Driver: R7 CGB Max, regular shaft
4-wood and 7-wood: :: Launcher, regular shafts
4-iron to A-wedge: X-20, regular steel shafts56- and 60-degree wedge: forged, stiff steel shafts, vintage finish, MD groovesPutter: Circa '62, No. 7, steel shaft, 35"Ball: NXT Tour or ProV1(x)...

Note: This thread is 5795 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!