IGNORED

USA Ryder Cup chances without Tiger

DavidFehertysBike
Note: This thread is 5795 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I dont think Tiger has ever been that big of a factor durning Ryder Cups, but will his probable loss this year spell doom once again for the US team?

Who fills his anchor spot, now?

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

i honestly didn't think that they had a chance even with tiger.......

driver- R580XD 9.5*
3 wood- m/speed
hybrid- cft ti 4h
irons- fp 4-gap
wedges- 54* and RAC satin 56* 12 bounceputter- 1/2 Craz-Eballs- DT Carry, e5, anything found thats is good shapeshoes-adidashome course - nothing - uh oh. perhaps pleasant view againschool...

Tiger has never been an anchor for the US team- theyd play better without him i think.

here is my US team:

Phil M
Jim Furyk
Stewart Cink
Woody Austin
Brandt Snedeker
Rocco Mediate
Johnson Wagner
Zach Johnson
Davis Love
Boo Weekly

It is important that a team is selected that really wants to play- I don't think Tiger is bothered about the Ryder Cup.

Obviously this puts us down quite a bit, but this is also an opportunity to make a statement if they could win without their ace.

In my bag:
Driver: 907D1 10.5*, Aldila Spec-Grid S67 reg
Woods: Looking for a wood. Titleist 906F4 or Nike CPR.
Utility: CPR 2-3 hybrids, 22*-26*Irons: 755 Forged 4-PW, Tri-Spec Steel RegWedges: Vokey 200 series 56.10 SW, 60.04 LWPutter: Tracy 33"Ball: DT CarryI mark my Titleist by...

i honestly didn't think that they had a chance even with tiger.......

Maybe not in past RC's but he has been lights out bascially since the last one. I think 6 out of the top 10 in fedex cup points are forigen players, so Tiger being out does nothing but hurt our chances. And I dont trust Phil. Perhaps one of the lesser name guys like Stricker, Verplank, or Cink can pick it up.

THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I think they will have just as good a chance as they had with him. He is only one man of a team of 12 after all, and sometimes I think the media distractions that go along with him being there are more of a hindrance than anything. And now they don't have to worry about finding someone who plays well with Tiger and can be more focused on the team aspect of the competition and not "Tiger and those 11 other guys".

Twitter - @rubofthegreen | Xbox 360 - zilegati

What in the world are you people smoking? Tiger Woods is the best for a reason, and while he hasn't had the greatest Ryder Cup record in the past, he will be sorely missed this year. His partners haven't necessarily played well either in the past, and his singles record isn't that bad.

It hurts pretty badly, and it will test our character to say the least. If we can put together a good performance, it will help United States golf quite a bit. It's beyond me how people can say we might be better without him. He is far from my favorite, but he is flat-out awesome.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
What in the world are you people smoking? Tiger Woods is the best for a reason, and while he hasn't had the greatest Ryder Cup record in the past, he will be sorely missed this year. His partners haven't necessarily played well either in the past, and his singles record isn't that bad.

Exactly. He's routinely had a winning record even on losing teams while some other guys don't win a single match.

It's beyond me how people can say we might be better without him. He is far from my favorite, but he is flat-out awesome.

And that's Cody talking, guys. Seriously.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

It will make a difference for sure, but if we can only go by history, one can understand why it might not be as big a deal. Personally I think he raises the bar for the Europeans, and his stature and the simple fact that he's there has a mental impact as well. His involvement goes beyond the actual playing of the matches.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Tiger has never been an anchor for the US team- theyd play better without him i think.

I wouldn't put Rocco on the team from 1 good performance. Kenny Perry deserves a spot on that team more than anyone outside of Tiger and Phil.

Rocco does bring an easiness to the squad though. Show those guys how to stare EXTREME stress in the face and laugh. Maybe that would help the guys and get them loose. No pressure because Tiger isn't there, no pressure that we haven't done the best lately.

Get the team having fun and playing good golf at the same time.

Andrew

I wouldn't put Rocco on the team from 1 good performance. Kenny Perry deserves a spot on that team more than anyone outside of Tiger and Phil.

Will Kenny Perry make the sacrifice to play 36 holes in a day though? With Tiger being out, more guys are going to have to play twice in a day. Everyone knew Tiger would play all the matches, so someone or a group of players will have to take up the slack.

It will make a difference for sure, but if we can only go by history, one can understand why it might not be as big a deal. Personally I think he raises the bar for the Europeans, and his stature and the simple fact that he's there has a mental impact as well. His involvement goes beyond the actual playing of the matches.

Exactly, and that mental impact goes for the US side as well. Example:

Kenny Perry and Jim Furyk have just wrapped up a foursomes win against Sergio and Luke Donald. Perry enters the press tent and gets his first question: "Kenny, great, great win, but... what did you think of Tiger's 9 iron on the 15th today?"

Will Kenny Perry make the sacrifice to play 36 holes in a day though? With Tiger being out, more guys are going to have to play twice in a day. Everyone knew Tiger would play all the matches, so someone or a group of players will have to take up the slack.

Perry's whole focus this season has been to make the Ryder Cup team. It's in his home state on a course where he almost won the PGA Championship. I think he'd be willing to play all five matches if he's physically able.

Perry's whole focus this season has been to make the Ryder Cup team. It's in his home state on a course where he almost won the PGA Championship. I think he'd be willing to play all five matches if he's physically able.

He said he is done playing 36 holes a day when asked why he didn't try to qualify for the U.S. Open. He said he is too old for that. I have my doubts. If I was captain, and Kenny Perry didn't qualify on his own, he wouldn't be a part of my team. I'll take guys like Hunter Mahan, Zach Johnson, etc. if they don't qualify on their own. The whole "winning" thing Azinger has mentioned is a little overrated.

There should be a spot somewhere for Anthony Kim, even as a wildcard. The dude is a firecracker. Though i read an article a few months ago suggesting he isnt well liked on the tour yet.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

He said he is done playing 36 holes a day when asked why he didn't try to qualify for the U.S. Open. He said he is too old for that. I have my doubts. If I was captain, and Kenny Perry didn't qualify on his own, he wouldn't be a part of my team. I'll take guys like Hunter Mahan, Zach Johnson, etc. if they don't qualify on their own. The whole "winning" thing Azinger has mentioned is a little overrated.

Oh, I agree. Unless he qualifies, he should only be considered a Captain's Pick if he's playing well at the time, not if he's won a tournament three or four or six months ago. But whether he's willing to play 36 a day isn't really an issue. It's not like the US team are only going to have 11 players now. There will be plenty to mix and match and not force Kenny Perry or anyone else to have to play 36 a day if they don't feel up to it.

And besides, Kenny isn't one of the "horses" I'd pick to play 36 holes anyway.

I think they improve.....

A. USA players are probably trying to look good in comparison to Tiger, and waiting for the "great shot" or "hero"moment...so we wait, and they choke.

B. I think they will be much looser and have the "gunslingers" mentality, wothout having big brother looking at them in disgust.

C. Makes sense to me.

D. A and B

In the Bag...Ping Hoofer

3dx Tour Square - UST V2 HMOI X Flex
3dx 15* - X flex
Baffler DWS 20* Aldila NV Stiff 4-GW 600XC Forged Irons- S Flex 55* SW - Burner XD 60* LW - Burner XD Craz E Putter <----ProV1x---> Pellet

Note: This thread is 5795 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!