IGNORED

Master "Forged vs. Cast" or "Blade vs. Game-Improvement" Iron Thread

muskegman
Note: This thread is 1411 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i play with maxfli revolution (black dot) irons and they are sweet! i like them because i get a nice crisp strike and can maneuver the ball like im using blades, they do give some forgiveness as cavity back irons do tho. so i think iv got the best of both.
my next set of irons will be blades. better looking, better maneuverability (draw/fade) and accuracy. (in my opinion!)

I'm switching from Nike Pro Combos to Titleist 690 MB today. I found some barely used 690 at Play it again sports and I'm trading in my irons and ignite driver and 3 wood. I believe after all I've read, to be a better player you have to play with the better player equipment.

In the Staff bag:
D1
906F 15.5º
585H 19º
AP2 4-gw 56º & 60º Tiger Woods Newport Art of Putting 2.0 Pro Platinum

I am a rank amateur but I play 40 year old MacGregor blades and I'm able to hit them straight. I'm not able to play the ball like a pro but I can get the job done. I could upgrade but I'd rather save money and work out any bad habits rather than mask them with forgiving clubs.

There's good sense here too. Also I believe this subject comes down to what you learned on.

I learned to play with some old Top Flite Spalding blades (no musclebacks, Like the Greg Norman ones). And I have missed those with every set of clubs I've had since.

In the Staff bag:
D1
906F 15.5º
585H 19º

Ok I got them.
I tried them at range and they feel sweet. Need new grips though. Cut shots are perfect, the sweet spot is sweet as I said. I'll play them tomorrow for the real test. I think I lost a few yards on the long irons. That just means I have to take extra club I guess.

I'm going to stick to the theory that better clubs make you a better player.

It's the same with the guitar. If you want to learn to play the guitar, buy a good guitar that will make better.

In the Staff bag:
D1
906F 15.5º
585H 19º

A few observations...

1. I play cavity backs, and always have.
2. I don't think it makes a huge difference, overall, in scoring; and the differences are probably smaller and less significant the _higher_ your handicap is.
3. It _does_ make a huge difference in your shots.
4. It doesn't make the same difference with all lofts.
5. It's more than the cavity back that is "game improvement" in the game improvement irons.

Explanations...

1. Just habit. I want every possible advantage. I did play a sort-of blade in Henry Griffitts for a few years, and they didn't make my handicap change compared to other cavities I've played.
2. A miss is as good as a mile. There is a big difference in shot results, as more forgiving clubs give you more distance, more carry, and less curvature on your mis-hit shots. But unless you are a mid to low single digit player, your misses are pretty big anyway, and the game improvement features can't completely compensate. So, if you hit a fat shot with an open face, you will end up 10 yards short right with the cavity back, and maybe 20 yards short right with the blade. Depending on where the hazards are, sometimes a _bigger_ miss is better... Like the other guy said, I think guys who are competing, and are scratch or better players, they are giving something up by not playing with clubs that are somewhat forgiving. But that's not accounting for differences in trajectory, the ability to curve shots, etc., which is the alleged reason that experts sometimes prefer blades.
4. The benefits of cavity backs are highest with the mid and long irons. When you have lots of loft on the club, the amount of twisting you get on mis-hit shots is much less than with strong lofted clubs, so the increased MoI of cavity back clubs is less important. However, as I said, there are other game improvement features used in irons, such as more bounce, better sole design, etc., and if you are a mid to high handicapper, you may find that blades hurt your results more than simply in the twisting on off-center hits. For this reason, if you like the "players" look of wedges like the Vokeys, the Clevelands, or the Callaway tour wedges, don't think you have to be a 4 handicap to use them. But make sure you get the right amount of bounce for the courses you play.

Just my opinion.

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My hdcp hovers between 4 and 7. I mishit 90% of my shots. I need the forgiveness.

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

I have a relatively high handicap, but I just got a set of Cleveland CG1 blades in replacing an older set of Cobra cavity back clubs. The CG1's are amazing! I don't think I will ever go back to cavity backs. I personally want to know when I mis hit a shot, which my old clubs wouldn't tell me.

Do yourself a favor and go try out the CG1's!

I have a relatively high handicap, but I just got a set of Cleveland CG1 blades in replacing an older set of Cobra cavity back clubs. The CG1's are amazing! I don't think I will ever go back to cavity backs. I personally want to know when I mis hit a shot, which my old clubs wouldn't tell me.

Just curious. How are you scoring, better, worse or the same?

Driver- Geek Dot Com This! 12 degree Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 Stiff
Adams Tour Issue 4350 Dual Can Matrix Ozik Xcon 5

Hybrids- Srixon 18 deg
Srixon 21 deg Irons- Tourstage Z101 3-PW w/Nippon NS Pro 950 GH - Stiff Srixon i701 4-PW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 GH-Stiff MacGregor...

The CG1s look nice. I just went back to my TA1 blades. I love the thin topline and zero offset. Blades seem to help me keep my swing smooth and they are just plain fun to hit. For me, unless I pure a shot (or come real close) I don't feel I deserve a good outcome. The fun of the game for me is not the final score but how I got there.

Driver:Titleist 905T 10.5, Aldila NV 65S
Fairway: Titleist 906f2 18, Aldila NV 75S
Hybrid: Titleist 585H 21, Aldila NV85S
Irons: Titleist 735, DG R300
Wedges: Titleist Vokey 52, 56, 60 DG S200Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour #8

Just curious. How are you scoring, better, worse or the same?

I went out and used them in a round for the first time this past weekend. And I matched my career best. The look and feel of them inspires confidence that I didn't have with my cavity backs. They are definitely more fun to hit. I'm hoping as I get more used to them, my score will continue to impove.

Hey guys, new to the board but I am a forum nerd so I'm glad I found a good golf forum...

I am in the market for a new set of irons. Right now I've got a set of... God I don't even know... I think they're Dunlops? Anyway they're 6 years old, cavity backs, got them for my 16th birthday (I'm 22 now) and they've treated me well. But... a couple of things have changed since then:
1) At about 18 I became an actively-training athlete and since then my build has changed significantly.
2) Since I received the clubs, I've grown like... three inches.
3) I'm a big boy now and I've got a real job in the 'business world,' where everyone plays golf. And, now that I've got the big boy income I can afford better clubs.
4) I NEED to beat my father ;)

I think I've justified my decision for a new set of irons, no? haha

Things y'all should know to help me decide:
--I've been playing since I was 12: very hardcore from 12-15, VERY casual from 15-20, and now I've started playing pretty regularly again (during the summers).
--Handicap is somewhere between a 12 and 20, depending on the time of year haha. (It seems like after each winter I have to re-learn everything)
--My iron swing is very consistent and I've been told I have a great swing by a Senior PGA Tour candidate (I'm not saying this to brag, but it may affect the decision between cavities and blades?)

So what do you guys recommend for me? I'd like to stay below $700, which should be a fine budget.

Thanks in advance :)

Driver: r7 10.5*
3W: Black Ti
Irons: CG Gold
Wedges: 54*, Acuity 60*
Putter: Copperhead bladeBall: NXT-Tour

In my humble opinion, (always listen to an opinion and then decide for youself)
I'm a 12 and I traded in my Nike Pro Combos for Titleist 690 blades.
All that has changed is that I look cooler... to me.

I've shot 12, 12, and 13 (who thought a pond in front of the green was a good idea?) over my first three rounds with my 690's.

Buy clubs that feel good and gives you confidence and buy the clubs that you want. Don't settle on something. You'll just think about those clubs you really wanted every time you miss-hit.

buy barely used (ebay). Save some money that way. With the money you saved, re-grip them with a good comfortable grip, then get the lie angel adjusted for your height, and take a few lessons (If Tiger needs a swing coach then we're never too good for a lesson).

Buy a name brand. And a name brand that makes you look like a golfer. It plays a head game with your competitor.

Don't buy iron head covers. Those are obvious novice.

I still haven't proved it, but my theory is that if you hit with blades, you'll get better feedback and over time you will become a better ball striker.

In the Staff bag:
D1
906F 15.5º
585H 19º

Definately cavity backs. Sure you may not be able to work the ball as well, but the forgiveness definately goes to cavity backs. But, if you are a stud player unlike me, you dont need forgiveness.
What's In My 2006 r7 Stand Bag...

r7 XR Japan 10.5
200 Series 3 Wood
Burner Rescue 3 rac HT 4-PW rac fe2o3 56*,60* Rossa Daytona 1 Sport hat w/ Adidas Apparel

Probably depends where you are in your game. If your content to play a few times a week or less and stay somewhat competitive cavity backs are the way to go. If you cannot hit greens in regulation and hit woods and hybrids alot instead of 3 and 4 irons, as second shots and play mid to higher irons mostly, blade or cavity back is not much of an issue. If you are striving to improve your stroke and ball contact, at the expense of feedback, ie., more errant shots on occasion, blades are a good way to go.

The real issue to me is what club you use for 200 yards. Is it a 3 or 4 iron or a wood. Clearly, most people I see playing may be able to hit a blade 6 or 7 well but cannot hit any 3 iron well no matter what type it is. I like to play blades but my set usually is a 5 thru PW, so how tough is that over a player's cavity, probably not that much, but it helps keep my swing clean.

Well my fairway woods used to be my best clubs, but now I prefer to hit my 3 or 4 iron when faced with 200+ yards to the green, even if it means coming up short. I am just more comfortable with my long irons than with my fairway woods (i.e. I never use my fairway woods lol).

I am a casual player but I've been playing for 10 years (22 years old now) and my game has been off and on, mainly due to changes in physical form (went from obese at 16 years old to hobbyist bodybuilder, currently) so my swing has changed a bunch over the years. It's still pretty consistent though.

Driver: r7 10.5*
3W: Black Ti
Irons: CG Gold
Wedges: 54*, Acuity 60*
Putter: Copperhead bladeBall: NXT-Tour

Note: This thread is 1411 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!