IGNORED

Master "Forged vs. Cast" or "Blade vs. Game-Improvement" Iron Thread

muskegman
Note: This thread is 1416 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

No worries. I was telling what I know to be the truth. Blades are fantastic when you strike the sweet spot but why penalize yourself when you do not? That was my arguement. I apologize for the posts. I actually do know what I am talking about but I am no longer going to share it with you guys.Not because I am offended but because you refuse to see any merit in any statement not made by television comercials, golf channel & the announcers during the tournament. Enjoy yourselves.

Whats in the bag?
Driver = Wishon Golf 949mc 9.75*/.5* Closed Face Angle
Fairway Wood = Wishon Golf 915 F/H 16* Square Face Angle
Wood Shafts = Wishon Golf Pro Flight EXP 85g Stiff Flex
Hybrids = Wishon Golf 331H 21* & 24*Hybrid Shafts = Wishon Golf GI335 Tour Weight 92g Stiff FlexIrons = Wishon...

No worries. I was telling what I know to be the truth. Blades are fantastic when you strike the sweet spot but why penalize yourself when you do not? That was my arguement. I apologize for the posts. I actually do know what I am talking about but I am no longer going to share it with you guys.Not because I am offended but because you refuse to see any merit in any statement not made by television comercials, golf channel & the announcers during the tournament. Enjoy yourselves.

I dont think anyone is arguing that cavity back irons are more forgiving. I think we all understand that. I dont care what the golf channel or any commercial says...and I rarely see them advertising for blades anyway. But for you to say that anyone who uses blades is hurting their score is just crazy. The BEST GOLFER IN THE WORLD uses blades. If you were correct the best golfer would be using a more forgiving iron. Your argument has just been proven wrong!

909 D3 with Diamana White X
909 F3 15degree with Aldila Vodoo
ZM Forged 2-PW
Voley 56 and 60
Studio Newport 1.5 PRo V1X

• Administrator
Not because I am offended but because you refuse to see any merit in any statement not made by television comercials, golf channel & the announcers during the tournament.

See, you keep clinging to that, but I haven't seen a single person mention anything of the sort as the reason why they play blades instead of cavity back clubs.

You're caught in a bunch of b.s. and even when you try to worm your way out of it you can't do it without insulting everyone who disagrees with you by way of calling us all mindless idiots who listen to whatever the TV tells us... even though the only person mentioning TV is you.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

To the OP, I took lessons all winter and now I feel reasonably confident with my irons. It's really only my third summer playing, but I bought a used set of MP-32s off the Callway preowned site. The entire set cost around $270 (there was a promotion, now it would be closer to $310). I have only had the chance to take them to the course twice, but I really enjoy these things. I have spent some time at the range, however, and I will keep spending time at the range/lessons to get my swing down pat, but I don't regret my decision at all.

because you refuse to see any merit in any statement not made by television comercials, golf channel & the announcers during the tournament. Enjoy yourselves.

HUH??? not ONE person has made such a reference besides you. sheesh. have you even hit a modern blade???

I'm not even going to read prior posts but to tell you......

BLADE!

"One of the reasons Arnie Palmer is playing so well is that, before each final round, his wife takes out his balls and kisses them. Oh my God, what have I just said."
US Open TV Commentator

S9-1 Pro D Driver 9.5 Degree Matrix Ozik XCON-6
CGB 3WPro Baffler 2/R 2HybridMP-37 Project X 6.0Vokey...

I gotta say, do not fear the blade clubs. They are clubs just like any others. Hit a ball, watch it fly. Many here seem to argue against them as an inferior piece of technology. Just go hit the blades. They are not as hard to hit as you would think. Yes the sweet spot is as big as a pea, but it's the exact same size on any other club, it's just that your misses will be felt more and the cavity backs won't look as bad. I'm really not getting punished more because when I miss, I usually miss big. Just with the look of the blade (thinner topline, smaller head), I'm inclined to a tighter swing. Anyways, to me, a miss is a miss. I'm not going to miss any better with cavity backs. If I push it, how is that cavity back gonna bring it back? You get my point? There's plenty that can go wrong at impact so don't think blades are gonna cause these problems. Yes, you may miss by 2 yards more than a players cavity but you know, a good stroke gives you a good result.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I really like my irons. They look great at address to me and give me the feedback I want. They are obviously not blades but I know when I hit it a groove too low or high. When I am having a bad day, they aren't so much fun but those are not that often.

Also, regarding the guy who thinks the pros should play cavity backs and the only reason they don't is because the companies tell them what to play, why did Tiger Woods use irons not sold to the public for a long long time.

Brian

interesting article regarding blades vs cavity irons

As I said before, I did not intend for this to be a cavity vs blade which is better thread but, I think the analogy he gave was excellent. It really helped me visualize the difference between the 2.

IMO there is nothing better looking than a Mizuno but, I have yet to hit one to know how they feel. In my mind Mizuno is like Rolex or Aston Martin. They just demand respect.

I have been playing off and on for about 5 years. My second year of playing I went out and got fitted for clubs. I ended up with a set of TA7 custom to my swing at the time. Since then my stance, grip and swing have all changed A LOT. I need to get new irons and I am trying to figure out if I should go with blades or another cavity set.

LOL, there is no club that will help when you are coming out of your swing, i.e. blading it. Just stay focused on the ball and don't look up until you feel your right shoulder on your chin--very easy to say and hard to do, lol.

I agree with another poster said about blades aren't that much more difficult to hit than a players cb. So my suggestion is get a combo set which is cb's 3-6 or 7i and mb's the rest of the way up. Here is what I believe you will find: the cb's will be a little more forgiving, but not as good with distance control where as the mb's will be less forgiving, but much better distance control (with a good strike). The old MacGregor V-foil 1025's came in a combo set, Niki new and old have combo sets, Mizuno's can be mixed together just make sure the lofts follow each other. I think most club maker's did a set of combo's at one time or another. I've reshafted a old set of Wilson 78 Staff Tour blades and they are great. I game them approximately a third of the time now, sometimes 1-pw, most of the time 2-pw. Anyway when I pure those babies they feel better and more solid than any new mb I've tried. The Mizuno's come closest, but still not as solid. Where I'm going with this is, no club regardless of how big the head is, how off set or how big a sweet spot it has will make up for a bad swing. A bad swing is a bad swing and once you get a good swing dialed you can play most any club. After that its just the "feel" you like which is a combination of club head and shaft. Oh, the other thing is these clubs are like a high preformance sports car or a really hot chick--they don't put up with crap, so they keep my swing honest, lol. As for the dirver; 10* is where most of us are, so you may have too low of a kicking shaft which promotes a higher ball flight whereas a high kicking shaft will promote a lower ball flight. No knowing anything about your swing speed and launch angle its really difficult to be specific. Good luck, be prepared for some frustration cuz it will pay off, just make sure you "groove" a good swing Sadly what started out as a good and informative thread has turned into a blade vs cb arugment. Hey, play what gives you confidence b/c that what it comes down to--being confident and comfortable over the ball, period

i agree, a combo set would be a nice happy-medium as well. the Bridgestone J33 and J36 combo sets are very nice. the MacGregor MT-Pro combo set, or a Nike Split Cavity/Blade combo set, or a Nickent 4DX Pro/Arc Blade combo set.... just a few ideas.

Note: This thread is 1416 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!