Sign in to follow this  
Leftie_power

David Duval

Note: This thread is 2256 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

41 posts / 17394 viewsLast Reply

Originally Posted by Wisguy

I'm not so sure about that.  I saw him last week on Feherty and he looked pretty uncomfortable in front of a camera, even at his own house.

Funny thing about that interview ... and it was a GLARING OMISSION ... was that Feherty never asked him in the entire hour of the interview WHAT HAPPENED.     As someone who only recently really got into golf, I don't know the history other than the fact that was stated over & over in the Feherty show that he shot a 59, and for a bunch of weeks in the early 90's was worlds no. 1 (knocking Tiger off the throne at that time).      It must have been agreed upon prior to the interview that he didn't want to talk about WHY the worlds no. 1 player literally fell off the face of the earth & stopped playing competitive golf.    Very peculiar ... does anyone have the real scoop on the DD situation & why he quit playing in the prime of his career ??

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Originally Posted by inthehole

Funny thing about that interview ... and it was a GLARING OMISSION ... was that Feherty never asked him in the entire hour of the interview WHAT HAPPENED.     As someone who only recently really got into golf, I don't know the history other than the fact that was stated over & over in the Feherty show that he shot a 59, and for a bunch of weeks in the early 90's was worlds no. 1 (knocking Tiger off the throne at that time).      It must have been agreed upon prior to the interview that he didn't want to talk about WHY the worlds no. 1 player literally fell off the face of the earth & stopped playing competitive golf.    Very peculiar ... does anyone have the real scoop on the DD situation & why he quit playing in the prime of his career ??

I don't think anyone really knows.  I just think for whatever reason, the guy lost the mental makeup needed to play in high level competitions.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Other than in early 2004 when he took some time off, I think he played his normal schedule until he lost his full tour card in 2007

I know that at one point he lost some weight and got fit with his game seeming to deteriorate after that   I know that he also go into snowboarding at got married with a ready made family.

I think his game left him first, then he started playing fewer PGA Tour events- his best years were the late 90s with his last win coming at the Open in 2001.  During those years he typically played 20-23 events.

2002- 24 events, 838 K, 2 top 120s

2003- 20 events, 16 missed cuts, 84 K

2004 is when he back off playing in only 9 events making 3 cuts

2005- 20 events, 1 made cut, 7 K in earnings

2006- 24 events, 11 made cuts, 318 K earnings

He played fewer events after that, but at least part of the reason is that he no longer had full status on tour.

Originally Posted by inthehole

Behind every great golfer is a supporting wife (or husband etc).  I blame his.

he didn't seem all that comfortable during the Open when ESPN had him on doing some analysis work.  Back in the day he was my favorite player.  Loved his swing, loved his game.  It's too bad that vertigo and various injuries robbed what was once an incredibly skilled and talented golfer.  His game didn't just magically go away - vertigo and a bad back has taken away what could have been.  Vertigo probably more so, when he battled that, he said he felt like his body was moving when he was standing over the ball at address.  I don't know how anyone could play golf like that.

Note: This thread is 2256 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!