IGNORED

How long did it take you to break 100?

Gilmore
Note: This thread is 5752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Exactly, fjm.

You don't count the scores on the short course as any personal accomplishment. It is a practice round to prepare you for the regulation course. And they do work.

But hey, if your ego doesn't allow you to practice on a short course, not my loss, go ahead and keep shooting 100+.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Meenman,

I am not missing his points - it is a total philosophical disagreement. He thinks hitting from womens tees helps, I disagree. I'd rather have to carry over water all day and punch out between 2 trees than tee off from a tee where I could use my putter the whole time and par or bogey the hole. Maybe I am in the minority but I would rather *practice* from tees way out of my range than play from shorter situations that I am never going to deal with.

Follow me on twitter

Chris, although my friends call me Mr.L

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It took me around 7-8 serious rounds by myself to break 100. I have shot in the 100s more than I have shot in the 90s (8-9 times in the 90s) and I have broken 90 once. I have been playing since May of this year.

I gotcha! I disagree, but if you feel it is a waste of time then more power to you. But as Sandman mentioned, this isn't just him endorsing this means of PRACTICE, but is actually a fairly common recommendation.

You have to keep in mind that there are two forms of pactice. The physical and mental. Playing from the reds is suppose to help your mental approach as it teaches you to think differently.

Either way, good luck.

In the bag
Driver: Big Bertha 460
3W: Big Bertha
3 - SW X-18
Putter: oz

You have been playing golf for 9 months and have not broken 100, yet you are calling this a "philosophical difference"?

Why not take the advice from somebody who hasn't shot in the 100's for over 9 years?

Playing a short course helps you learn to score. This is not my philosophy. This is not my theory. This is something that many good coaches and players believe.

Learning how to make triple bogeys, or turn a triple into a bogey, isn't going to teach you to go low. It is going to teach you to scramble for bogeys and continue to shoot in the 90's/100's.

Another thing, don't be afraid of the local chip n putt courses. Those things are great at helping you learn to score as well. Check the ego at the door when trying to improve.

What's in the bag
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

You have been playing golf for 9 months and have not broken 100, yet you are calling this a "philosophical difference"?

It's quite true. I went to a little 9 hole course and shot a 47 and a 48(and drove the green on a short par 4 ) then i went back to my standard course and shot just about the same.

In my Extreme Sport Stand Bag
Driver: 4DX D-Spec Driver 10.5* Stiff UST SR3
3W: F-60 15* Regular Fujikura E150 Fit-On
Hybrids: 4DX Ironwoods 20* 23* Regular UST SR3
Irons: 4DX CB 5-PW Stiff True Temper ST-90Wedges: Vokey 50* 56*Putter: SabertoothBall: DT Roll

It took me a long time...

I owned golf clubs for 15 years, and played 3-4 times a year, mostly just for an excuse to be outside, or a company outing.

Last fall, I started playing more often, and this spring I made a commitment to myself that I would really improve my golf game. I've started practicing pretty often, usually a little every other day, and I play 9-36 holes a weekend. I purchased new equipment as part of my commitment (it seems to have had as much mental/emotional impact as it has improved my game)

I broke 100 back in April, and now I'm gunning for 90. I don't really have a home course, but I play the country club that my brother lives at the most often, and think that it's the one that I'll do it on. I'm a few flubbed shots, and a blowup hole away from pulling it off.

In my Sasquatch Tour Bag:

Driver - G10 10.5°: UST Pro Vorce V2 Shaft, Regular flex
Hybrid - G10 21° & 24°: TFC 129H, Stiff flex
Irons - S57 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW - Nippon 950GH stiff shaftsWedges - Tour 52°, 60° 56°Putter - 34" TracyBall - Treosoft

After a 3 year break....... Before it wasnt an addiction like it is now. Just something to do with friends. I was young and silly.

But taking the game seriously. 1 month.

At the rate im going - i never will. Keep playing worse and worse every time i go out. After todays 9 holes i am ready to quit.

Ive been playing golf about once or twice a season for many years but have now just gotten into it more this season.

MacTec 460 Draw Driver
V-Foil M565 Irons
MT 3 Wood
GigaGolf 52deg gap wedge
Wilson 55deg sand wedge MT Don White 60deg Lob wedgeknockoff 2-ball putter

The week before I shot the 98 I played with my girlfriends dad. He has been playing for years so he wanted to play from the black tees, so I did too. I shot a 104 that day. I wonder if that would have been my first time to break 100, playing from the yellows? Either way I am still very happy breaking 100 in such a short amount of time!

In my Grom Bag

R7 Draw Driver
R7 Draw 3 Wood
R7 Draw HybridR7 Irons Ball e5+White HotXG 2 Ball

I have been playing golf for 10 or so years on and off. Just getting serious within the past couple summers. Have yet to break 100 but I am very close! (I've shot 103 twice this summer). Hoping to break it very soon.

I went to the driving range a LOT before I started playing (I didnt wanna worm burn my way around). I probably went to the range 5 or so times a week for a month. My first round (about a year ago) I shot a 93.

Those of you that are claiming to have broken 100 after playing a few rounds can't be telling the truth.

If you played a real (more than 6000 yard course) counted every stroke and played by the rules (eg. Stroke and distance), none of you broke 100 after a couple rounds of golf. I'd bet the mortgage on it.

Everyone on this message board that knows anything about golf, knows that. Stop kidding yourself. You could ask every professional player out there, and I guarantee none of them will tell you they broke 100 after playing for a week.

Give me a break and stop lying.

I probably went to the range 5 or so times a week for a month. My first round (about a year ago) I shot a 93.

Most beginners lose the bulk of their strokes on the greens and on short touch shots. How did you have enough feel on those shots after only going to the range?

What's in the bag

congrads on those who broke 100 so quickly; it took me a full season (9 months).

Thank God you posted! I was starting to think I was the only moron who took more than a couple of months to break 100. Well, I guess there are some of us who ust aren't that talented...

Thank God you posted! I was starting to think I was the only moron who took more than a couple of months to break 100. Well, I guess there are some of us who ust aren't that talented...

Or you count all your strokes.

It takes some time on the course before you get the feel to break 100. Could be only a couple of weeks, but it does take some time.

What's in the bag

Note: This thread is 5752 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!