IGNORED

Parent/Child Tournament 2008: Playing the Ball as It Lies

shortgame85
Note: This thread is 5800 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

In my effort to keep my eldest child interested in golf, I have acceded to her desire to enter the annual Parent/Child, normally known as the Father/Son (until we came along) Golf Tournament. Since our former, beloved old Pro retired a few years ago, and a new young Pro has had an up and down career at our Club. Perhaps because of his relative youth (early 30s), perhaps because his synapses don't fire well, his communications and desicion making skills seem wanting. The latest example of this is that in three seperate conversations with him about the format for the tournament, the new Pro changed the format each time. It was not only confusing to me but also to my 10 year old daughter. Nonetheless, we adjusted our preperation each time he changed his mind.

The final format turned out to be what is called a shamble: father and child each hit a drive, the best drive is taken and each person plays his own ball from that spot through the hole. The best score is the only score recorded. My child pointed out that even if a child's drive is selected on each hole ( because their tees are so much more forward than the adult tees ), the better golfer's next several shots will determine the score of each hole and that better golfer will likely be the parent, especially in our division, 12 years and under. She was right. And her frustration was compounded by mine, because I knew that most of the adult golfers carried a handicap lower than mine.

What to do? Well, I looked at my daughter and said, "Just like in life, kiddo, we'll have to play the ball as it lies."
And that's just what we did.

Fortunately, we had practiced for this event: Katherine and I had risen early each day for two weeks to hit balls before I left for work.

At the begining of the tournament I told Katherine that even if we didn't like the format, we had nine holes to play and we might as well play the best we could and take the opportunity to enjoy each other's company.

There were ten teams, nine father/sons and us, a father/daughter.

I was pleasently surprised to note that, as we played, Katherine's tee shots were right on the money, often leaving me about 118 yards to the hole. Either my approach shots were good or my short game was on that day, because after four holes, we were even par. On the 5th hole, Katherine's drive wasn't her best and I hit my approach fat: bogey. On number 6, a difficult par three, I missed a 10 foot birdie putt by an inch. On number 8, my approach shot again was fat and caused us to record a bogey. I had a chance at a birdie on number 9 and, again, barely missed the putt. We finished with a two over 37.

The father/son team that won last year recorded a 31 for first place this year. Another father/son team shot 33 for second place. Our score was good enough for third place.

While we didn't take home any hardware, we did have a celebratory lunch afterward for preparing for and competing in this tournament. We had the deep satisfaction of doing something challenging together and, Katherine learned a valuable lesson about "playing the ball as it lies."

Ultimately, I was very proud of Katherine's approach to this tournament: her grit, focus as well as her determination. Those qualities are trophy enough for me.

shortgame85
In the Bag:
Driver: :TaylorMade: RBZ 9.5 Reg Flex
3 Wood :TaylorMade: RBZ Reg Flex
Hybrid: Ping G25 Hybrids 17*, 20*, 23*

Irons:Ping G25 5-Gap Wedge, Sr Flex, Vokey 56.14 Spin Mill NS Pro Reg, Flex

Putter: Bobby Grace Center Shaft 32"

Great story, sounds like a blast: you had some laughs, you play well with your daughter and you spent quality time together. Maybe you can go once a week with your daughter sometimes if she enjoys the game.
In My Bag

Driver: Sasquatch 460 9.5°
3 Wood: Laser 3 Wood 15°
5 Wood: r7 19° (Stiff)Irons: S58 Irons 4-PW Orange DotWedge: Harmonized 60°Wedge: Z TP 54°Putter: Tiffany 34"Balls: Pro V1 Shoes: Adidas Tour 360 IIThe Meadows Golf Coursewww.themeadowsgc.comAge: 16

I really enjoyed your story. I get to go golfing with my dad sometimes, but not as often as I would like, and I've never played in a tournament with him. He just works too much unfortunately.

Relating to your story a little bit too, He's been trying to convince my 16 year old sister to try golfing recently. She's not too fond of it, but I've been convincing her too, so maybe one day they can play you guys! :)

I really enjoyed your story. I get to go golfing with my dad sometimes, but not as often as I would like, and I've never played in a tournament with him. He just works too much unfortunately.

Thanks. Keep working on your sister. Golf's a great game for men and women.

This morning, I played with an older surgeon and his wife. She was the Easter Seals poster child in either 1954 or 1953. For those of you too young to know what that means: she had the polio virus, which left her left leg entirely wasted. She wears a metal brace on it and limps along rather well. And she has great physical beauty. She also plays golf. She can't make a full turn because her hips won't rotate, but she hits the ball straight as an arrow. Her husband was a state amateur champion in his youth and still hits his tee shots about 250 yards. Although he is known as the grumpiest bastard in my community, watching them play golf together is a real treat: he treats her like a princess. Amazing woman; amazing game. Talk about a gal playing the ball as it lies!

shortgame85
In the Bag:

Great story, sounds like a blast: you had some laughs, you play well with your daughter and you spent quality time together. Maybe you can go once a week with your daughter sometimes if she enjoys the game.

Thanks, Dent. I would love to get out there with her once a week but it's tough keeping her interested once the tournament is over; I think it is well worth trying, though.

shortgame85
In the Bag:

That's a great story. One of the greatest aspects of this game is the opportunity to bond with others. My Dad is 63 and never golfed in his life until I convinced him go go with me last year. Now he goes with me every now and then and we just have a great time hanging out. My son is 16 months old and already loves walking around the yard with me (we live on 5 acres) swinging his plastic clubs at shag balls, imitating me. I hope he stays interested so we can also share that.
Callaway FT-9 Tour I-mix 9.5° Driver (Fujikura Zcom Pro 65 stiff)
Mizuno F-50 15° 3w (Exsar FS2 stiff)
Bridgestone J36 19° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro 23° Hybrid (Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff)
Adams Idea Pro Forged 5-pw Irons (DG Black Gold stiff)Nike SV Tour Black Satin...

Ultimately, I was very proud of Katherine's approach to this tournament: her grit, focus as well as her determination. Those qualities are trophy enough for me.

That's an amazing story! Have a great time fostering her continued golf!

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Congrats on a great outing. My youngest son who is now 15 and plays on the high school team and I have played in a couple of those events and we've had good success. We won one and tied one and lost on a match of cards. The format was two-man captains choice with some formula for handicap. Each player must use his drive four times. In the tournament we won it came down to we had to use my drive on the last hole and don't you know I worm-burned my drive about a hundred yards. We made bogey and still won but my son gave me such a fit about that shot! So funny.

My father in law wanted my son to come play with him in a parent/child event in August but much to our grief he had a massive stroke two days ago and died last night. One of my son's great fun outings has always been playing golf with his Granddaddy when we would go visit them. My son is deeply saddened that he didn't get that opportunity to play with him. So I would encourage parents and grandparents alike to play in these events whenever possible and don't worry about your performance. It's just fun stuff.

Congrats on a great outing. My youngest son who is now 15 and plays on the high school team and I have played in a couple of those events and we've had good success. We won one and tied one and lost on a match of cards. The format was two-man captains choice with some formula for handicap. Each player must use his drive four times. In the tournament we won it came down to we had to use my drive on the last hole and don't you know I worm-burned my drive about a hundred yards. We made bogey and still won but my son gave me such a fit about that shot! So funny.

Right you are about seizing the moment. We just don't know what fate has in store for us or our loved ones. Play golf or just spend time with the ones you love as often as possible; and tell them you love them often, too.

shortgame85
In the Bag:

My father in law wanted my son to come play with him in a parent/child event in August but much to our grief he had a massive stroke two days ago and died last night.

I am truly sorry for your loss

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. shortgame, That is awesome that you and your daughter played in that. Hopefully one day I will be able to do the same with my daughters. They start golf lessons in a week.

shortgame,

Thanks, Munkey. If they are young, they require a

lot of patience and love. Stay with them and don't make learning the game too onerous; who knows, you may be playing with them soon enough! One of my goals is to be able to play a round of 18 with one of my daughters when she is a bit older: how cool is it to play a genuine round of golf with your own kid?

shortgame85
In the Bag:

Note: This thread is 5800 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!