IGNORED

How close is TOO close?

gsu_paintballer
Note: This thread is 5797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So gsu, this is a little off topic, but why CANT you hit over 120 with your 6 iron?

I wouldnt say my PW goes QUITE 100. More like 80ish. The other clubs do go a little farther, but the increments aren't much. You can see that on how there are 4 clubs in a 40 yd span.

When my long irons are on, my score drops a good bit. I don't get GIRs because I require that one extra stroke that everyone else doesn't need.

too close, straight up.

Like everyone else said...why not club up a few clubs and actually go for the green?...its not like your set stops at 6 iron. Also, because of this, I agree that it would be hard to believe you were laying up from 140 if I was the group on the green.

Hi-Bore 9.5° w/ UST pro-force v2 Stiff
Halo 1i 16°
Halo 3i 22°
735.cm 4-PW
Vokey 52.8, Vokey Spin-Milled 56.10, 60.4 Sophia 32" or Studio Design 1 34"

I'm on my 2nd season of golf. At the end of my first season, I was really beginning to enjoy the game and finally getting the balls to reliably fly and not wormburn.

Anyway, at the range, my longest iron (4 iron) never ever ever went over 170-175 yards even on my best shot. So one day I'm out on a par 4 where my drive put me just inside the 200 marker, probably around 198-199 yards out.

So, with a group on the green, i figured well the green is well out of my range so my best bet is to hit the 4 and then either do a long chip on or use my sw to get on with a 3/4 swing depending on how close I got.

The group ahead of us was putting as I was setting up. I took the shot, and to my amazement I got the cleanest nicest ball contact I'd ever had. The ball sailed about 185-190 yards, landing right around the fringe area or at the edge of the green, then rolling up right between the putters.

As soon as I hit the ball and realized what a strong shot it was I started frantically shouting FORE!!!. With the ball rolling right between the players I felt absolutely terrible. To make matters worse, they all started shoutin ***hole! In my direction

***Hole!
**Hole!
***Hole!

I could not quite make out what they were saying, but I knew it ended in "hole" and figured it can't be good.

Finally as I got closer I apologized profusely and explained my stupid beginner mistake (something I'll never do again). Instead of the furious tongue-lashing I expected, they started praising my shot and shook my hand!

Turns out they were shouting "In the Hole!" "In the Hole!."

That shot was my first and only eagle! :) So that day I felt both terrible and terrific for the shot.

But back on topic... I'm not the longest hitter in the world... but if I'm within driver range of the green, I no longer hit at it. As all begining golfers know, a 60 yard simple approach shot can turn into an accidental 90-100 yard disaster if you don't get under the ball and hit it with the edge of the club by accident (happens to me often).

Its just not worth the risk of hurting somebody.

G10 9* Stiff Shaft Driver
R7 Draw 3 Wood
Burner 3 hybrid
26* Baffler Hybrid 5H Stiff Shaft.
Rapture 6-SW (3-5 are retired in favor of hybrids) Vokey Spin Milled 60* Wedge Newport 2 Pinseeker 1600 + ViewTI GPS software for iPhone

Yes, too close. You're not going anywhere, they're going to be ahead of you and they are likely waiting for others. Just wait it out if you're unsure. I'm always annoyed when someone hits into me, even if the shot falls 20 yards short. 20 yards isn't really that far. I know I've overshot targets by 20 yards.

Note: This thread is 5797 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!