IGNORED

How close is TOO close?

gsu_paintballer
Note: This thread is 5798 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Simply put, how close is too close when it comes to your ball landing near the next group? I had a pair get pretty upset with me today for mine landing about 20-25 yards from them.

Simply put, how close is too close when it comes to your ball landing near the next group? I had a pair get pretty upset with me today for mine landing about 20-25 yards from them.

20-25 isn't too close that they should be overly upset about it, 5 to 10 yards maybe more so. Just curious here, did you holler "fore" first and where were they in relation to you hitting(in front of you, adjacent to you, 4 holes over)?

My Bag

Driver: Sumo 460 10.5º Stiff
4 & 7 Woods: T-40 Stiff
Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

I would say 20 feet or so. Then again, doesn't happen very much. it's usually the errant shot that lands close to you, not someone off the tee. If you were on the tee, I'd say, relax a few more minutes to let them clear the fairway and get to the green. There's no rush out there on the course, right?

sunmountain.gif C-130 Cart Bag: titleist.gif 910D2 10.5Deg   taylormade.gif R9 15Deg, Burner Superfast 5W/7W   mizuno.gif MP-57 5-PW
scratch.gif 54*ds, 58*ds    cameron.gif Red X2    callaway.gifTour iZ

20-25 isn't too close that they should be overly upset about it, 5 to 10 yards maybe more so. Just curious here, did you holler "fore" first and where were they in relation to you hitting(in front of you, adjacent to you, 4 holes over)?

They were on the green and I was hitting my third shot. I don't play long irons very well, and I know my 6 would top out at about 120 or so. It did just what I thought and dropped the 20-25 yds from the green. No, I did not yell anything.

I would say 20 feet or so. Then again, doesn't happen very much. it's usually the errant shot that lands close to you, not someone off the tee. If you were on the tee, I'd say, relax a few more minutes to let them clear the fairway and get to the green. There's no rush out there on the course, right?

These guys were playing insanely slow as well.

If they were on the green and you were around 140 yds. away, you definitely shouldn't have been hitting.

In My Bag:
SQ Dymo2 10.5
SQ Dymo2 15
a2 3-PW
Tom Watson Wedges 52, 56, 60 Unitized Retro 33"

This really isn't meant to be insulting to you but here is what goes through my head in that situation if I am them.

What the hell did you hit from ThAT Close OBVIOUSLY you could reach us because 140 yards is NOTHING.

.. What? You say you cant hit your 6 iron more than 120 yards so you knew we were safe??? Well in my mind if you arent really old, then not being able to hit a 6 iron over 120 means you arent very good ( no offense im not that good either) and people that arent very good Can NOT tell me how far they can and cant hit their clubs.

140 is WAY too close to be hitting into anyone, also if you KNEW your 6 iron only goes 120 why not wait and hit your 5 Iron?

Adams Golf Idea a2 OS Hybrids
(all but the 3iron, I broke it )

They were on the green and I was hitting my third shot. I don't play long irons very well, and I know my 6 would top out at about 120 or so. It did just what I thought and dropped the 20-25 yds from the green. No, I did not yell anything.

I am sure it appeared to them with you being 140 out that you were hitting in to them. Probably should have waited for the green to clear.

My Bag

Irons: Tight Lies GT 3-PWWedges: Tom Watson SignaturePutter: Daiwa DG-245Ball: One PlatinumGone Golfin'

If they are closer then 250 yards, I'd say they are too close to hit at. Anything less then that I would consider a deliberate attempt to be an AHole and you could expect to hear about it if I was in the group you were hitting at.

If your in that big of a hurry or they are playing really slow, there are polite ways to try and deal with it before it's time to be a jerk.

.. What? You say you cant hit your 6 iron more than 120 yards so you knew we were safe??? Well in my mind if you arent really old, then not being able to hit a 6 iron over 120 means you arent very good ( no offense im not that good either) and people that arent very good Can NOT tell me how far they can and cant hit their clubs.

The guy with the handicap almost identical to mine telling me that I am not very good makes me laugh.

If it was only the one time it should'nt matter,but two or three times i would be pissed.

aeroburner tp 10.5 stiff
superfast tp 2.0 3 wood stiff
Halo 25 and taylormade tp 19 degree hybrids
miura cb 202 and wedge
tp 52* wedge, tp 56* taylormade spider mallet putter

If a group is hitting their second shot, then you should not be hitting your tee shot. If a group is on a par 4 green, and you are about to hit your second shot, you should not be hitting your second shot unless you are certainly laying up (which I would say is 75+ yards away). You should not be hitting into a green with a group putting on it from inside 220 yards, even if you don't think you can reach (unless you are intentionally laying up, say in front of a water hazard).

If a group is in front of you to the point where you can reach them, then what is the rush to hit up into them?

If a group kept putting the ball 20 yards away from me, I would be pissed. 1. If it were a slow round, then why be impatient?; 2. If you are playing faster than us, then I will let you play through; 3. If you are playing faster than a group, and they have nobody in front of them, then ask to play through.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

The guy with the handicap almost identical to mine telling me that I am not very good makes me laugh.

Well yes...but he did say twice he wasn't trying to insult, and did say...

"im not that good either"

And did close with a pretty good point

140 is WAY too close to be hitting into anyone

My Bag

If it don't hit em your good lol jk well i think 10-15 yards is getting to close, people are so funny though.. they get so mad that they have to pay so much money to play a round a golf. You'd think they'd want to make it last to get there "moneys worth", no of course not they have to act impatient and play up on others, sure theres limits to slow play but come on just enjoy the time on the course you'll play better anyways due to positive additude

In my Black'n'Red :

Driver: R7 TP 460cc 10.5* Reax 65 stiff shaft
3 Wood: Tour Impact 15*
Irons: Tour Impact 3-PWWedges: Vokey Oil Can Spin Milled 54.10, Golfco Baron 58* SWPutter: Tracy II 35"Balls: Prov 1Age:16

I would be a little annoyed if the group behind me kept playing within 20 yards of me. It may happen once or twice and it's not a big deal. If they are close enough to the green to hit it and I'm still on it, they shouldn't be shooting. It's basic etiquette. The only time it's happened to me is when there was a blind green, so the group behind couldn't see us. Another reason is that they had a mis-hit or really good one they weren't expecting.

Are you sure they were the ones being slow, and not the group in front of them? Or ones further ahead? That's usually why it seems I'm being slow.

If it was only the one time it shouldn't matter,but two or three times i would be pissed.

Definitely only once. It's actually the first time I have EVER gotten that close to another group. I play in the afternoons and it's pretty empty.

1. If it were a slow round, then why be impatient?; 2. If you are playing faster than us, then I will let you play through; 3. If you are playing faster than a group, and they have nobody in front of them, then ask to play through.

1 - Another player offered to let me ride along with him, as I am usually a walker. My ball was a decent distance from his, so I was trying to hurry up and hit the ball so he wouldn't have to wait on me. After all, I was riding along for free

2&3 - They didn't. We played behind them for 3 holes before we picked up on that hole and just asked to play through. My "close shot" was my last one. Our encounter on the tee box asking to play through is when the upset golfer confronted us.
If it don't hit em your good

I usually take my time and I never catch anyone because I walk. I explained above why today was a little different. It didn't hit them, so I guess I'm good

Edit for monkeyclaw - There was no one in front of them. We were on #15 with no golfers on 16-18.

If it don't hit em your good

I agree. I actually like playing behind a slow group because then there's no pressure on my group to speed up. The is especially helpful on the green (or looking for my ball!!).

Definitely only once. It's actually the first time I have EVER gotten that close to another group. I play in the afternoons and it's pretty empty.

I wouldn't sweat it then, just next time let them clear the green from that close, you will still have a chance to play through on the next tee.

My Bag

Note: This thread is 5798 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!