IGNORED

New Addict with Mad Wife

DHarris75
Note: This thread is 5781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey everyone. I live in Guam where I am in the USAF - 32 with an angry wife and 3 kids. I have been around guys that play golf and always wanted to learn - but just never got "out there". So a friend here takes me one day to our range and I hit about 4 or 5 straight out of about 40 balls. But those 4 or 5 were things of beauty (all of 150 yards) and I was hooked.

That was 6 weeks ago. That week I had my own set of clubs and I set out to read as much I could, learn as much as I could, and practice as much as I could. I hit the range like an addict and each time I went out, I learned something knew. Took a couple of lessons and played 9 holes. Was HORRIBLE, but hooked.

So last week I played in my first unit tourney and scored a 133 using my driver. Couldn't hit that thing straight for nothing. Was feeling pretty frustrated by hole 18, then I hit two of the most beautiful balls I have seen with my 3W off the grass to get to the fringe. But I was already 3 strokes into the hole - but I didn't care.

Then yesterday, I went out and played 18 by myself using my 3W off the tee. I hit about 13-14 fairways straight as an arrow right down the middle. But not very far - about 190yds-200yds average. But my score went down to 118. So I'm content with my 3W until I can tame my driver...which as much as I'm practicing hopefully won't be too long.

Anyway - hitting those range balls that day was a great thing for me and it opened my eyes to this game that I now love. My wife - she's tired of the magazines, books, golf channel, and tired of me gone all the time. Our range is 24/7 - unmanned/vending machine for balls. So I'd go out at 11pm after her and the kids lay down - and drive and then hit our green for a while. Now I'm a paid member of our club as of yesterday and I can go to the course whenever I want...from sunup to sundown. YEAH!!!

Okay - just got home from work and going up to practice on a couple of holes before dark.

Sorry for the long intro - I have been reading and reading on here for 6 weeks and now, after my first 28 holes, I'm ready to ask a lot of questions!!!

Thanks for the time....

WOOOHOOOO!!!! I just got off work and went to the course to practice for 2-3 holes before dinner. Well the rain cut it to just one hole.

But - I hit a PAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's a par 4 and I actually was layed up just below the elevated green - but on the hole side. I pitched it up, landed on the turf, and rolled in for a PAR.

Probably should have been a bogey or double if not for the pitch - but I won't tell my friends that - it was a PAR!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I was addicted before - now I'm completely obsessed.

Great news for you, not so great for the wife! Congrats on your new hobby -- trust me, I fully empathize with your situation, as I have just recently renewed my excitement over this sport again after a long lay off (my wife likes to point out that 1 month before our first daughter arrives is a hell of a time to decide to learn golf again -- but I like to say I'm doing it so I can help our girl make the LPGA someday!) Enjoy your new passion!

Nike Sumo 5000 V2 (9.5°) & SQ2 3W (15°) | TaylorMade Rescue Mid (19° & 22°) | Mizuno MX-23 4-PW | Callaway X-Tour (56-13°) & X-Tour MD (60-11°) | Bettinardi C-03

"I don't care how good your iron play is, if you can't drive it in the fairway you might as well break 'em up or use 'em...

My girlfriend wanted to learn how to golf... and as much as I didnt want her to learn because I thought she would intrude on "my time", it has worked out far better than I could have imagined. I probably get to golf twice as much now if not more.

Long story short... maybe you should get your wife some lessons.

13 Wedges
1 Putter

Thanks for the replies. My wife mad was a little tongue-in-cheek. But, today I got off work a little early and come home to find wife and kids gone with some friends to see Wallie. So off I go to the course. I don't get back until about hour after she returned...she thought I was working late and she just shakes her head when I bring my clubs in.

Hit another par today - but just on a Par 3 and I was just practicing. Took me about 5 tries to realize I couldn't drive the green with my 5I, so I went to my 3H and landed on the green about 8' away. So it was a par - almost a birdie, but only after a few practice drives (course was empty - rainy day for most of the day). But I hit a double on the first hole (the one I parred yesterday).

Note: This thread is 5781 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!