IGNORED

How do i fix a push??

Note: This thread is 5783 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

and please don't say "aim left" :)

Hey everyone. The last couple of times i've played i've hit a bunch of pushes which is not normal for me. It's not slicing or fading just going a bit to the right and straight. Usually if i hit a ball solidly it goes straight or maybe has a draw to it. Is there a common cause for a push? i can't seem to figure it out. how can i fix it?? thanks!!!

A lot of things could cause a push. Your best bet is to go to a golf pro, have them watch your swing and tell you what you are doing wrong.
I sometimes suffer from a push, but I fixed it by making sure that the club is parallel to the ground on my backswing before I start rotating my hips back.
I notice that I used to start rotating my hips back as soon as I drew the club back, and that caused a push. By delaying my hip rotating by just 1 second, it straightened out my shots.
It could be caused by a lot of other things though, so your best bet is to go to a golf pro.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

I'm guilty of the straight push shot when I don't get enough shoulder tilt and upper torso rotation in the release and impact areas. Work on improving forward leg posting which will give your upper torso an easier time of rotating around. Prevent your head and upper torso from transferring forward too early.

I'd start off by checking your alignment and ball position at setup. Setup and hold a club across your shoulders and look at where they are pointed. Many people get the ball too far back in their stance, and that encourages their shoulders to get aligned out to the right.

If your alignment checks out the next thing I'd look at would be your balance and weight shift. Is your weight on the balls of your feet at setup, and is it staying contained on the inside of the feet during the swing? If your weight is shifting to the outside of your feet you'll be encouraged to rock and block as it is sometimes called. If your balance and weight shift are fine then one other thing you might find helpful is to check that your left side is set higher than your right side at setup (like in the picture of Aaron Badeley below): As you can see his right hip is lower than his left hip, and his right shoulder is lower than his left shoulder at setup.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

Do you normally hit a draw?
If not, then you're halfway there! If it's a true push then you're comming with an inside-out swing plane with the club face square with the plane. Close up the face more at impact for the draw. If you're intending to hit it straight and it's pushing then listen to Avidgolfer and others said, check your alignment and swing mechanincs, esp shoulder and hip tilts.

in my EDGE bag:

10.5* XLS HiBore Driver, Fuji stiff VP70
15* XLS HiBore 3 Wood Gold stiff
22*, 25* XLS HiBore 3H, 4H, Gold stiff MP-57 5-PW, DG S300 MP-R 52 gap, MP-R 56 sandwedge SM Vokey 60 Lob Newport 2 Detour Pro-V1X, NXT Tour, Callaway Tour iXIgolf NEO GPS

how about open your stand a little bit?

Launcher 460 10.5° <BB Solution 130 R>
Wishon 949MC 16.5° <SK Fiber Tour Trac 80 R>
3DX DC Ironwood 20°, 23° <UST SR2 R>
MX-23 5-PW <KBS Tour R>
Vokey 250.08, SM54.10, SM58.08 <DG Wedge> Callie 33.75"TLT Series 4MOI matched

I would start by putting a club down on the ground to achieve your proper alignment to the target and try the following below:

1) try hitting balls with your feet together
2) make sure you are taking a full turn with your shoulders and hips
3) practice taking the club back very slowly to ensure a full body turn
4) put your weight on the back feet and start your swing with a forward press

good luck, just my 2 cents

Titleist 910 D2 9.5 Driver
Titleist 910 F15 & 21 degree fairway wood
Titleist 910 hybrid 24 degree
Mizuno Mp33 5 - PW
52/1056/1160/5

"Yonex ADX Blade putter, odyssey two ball blade putter, both  33"

ProV-1

If the description of your good swing is correct, try some simple solutions before you tear apart your swing. Is the energy of your swing going through the ball or do you aim to get to the ball and fizzle? Whenever my shots push, I just think about a really good finish.

How does your finish affect your shot when your finish is AFTER impact? Well, in order for you to stop short of a full finish, you have to slow your swing down at or through impact. In order for you to have a full finish, you have to continue and not disrupt the energy through impact which will most likely come from a full shoulder turn. Now, if your shot goes right to left when you have a full finish, don't use the same solution for a different problem. I mean, don't back off on the good finish to get your ball to go straight. You might be doing something else that's causing a right to left since a good finish IS DEFINITELY a correct aspect of a full swing (unless you need to draw, fade, punch, 1/2 swing in which case you need to adjust your set up, etc. etc. in order to hit your target) If a good finish doesn't fix your push, then we should look at other aspects of your swing.

Your club could be getting 'stuck' behind your right hip if you are turning your hips too early in the downswing creating a push.

You can correct this by initiating the downswing by pushing off your right instep, then turning your hips slightly later after some of the weight has been transferred to the left leg.

This is the same flaw that Tiger fights with his driver because he has overactive hips.

Note: This thread is 5783 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!