IGNORED

Best Putting Advice

Note: This thread is 5765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been given a lot of advice about putting. The best advice, though, was found in "Putting out of your Mind" by Dr. Rotella. Another TST member recommended it to me after a round of golf.

It's an easy read and works mostly on the mental aspect of putting.

Titleist 905T Accra SC75 M4 Shaft

Nike SQ 4W Accra T70 M4 Shaft
HB001 17* Hybrid with Mitsubishi Diamana Thump X Stiff Flex
Baffler Pro 20* Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Taylor Made 24* Burner Accra Axiv 105 Tour Hybrid Shaft

Mizuno MP-32 5-PW Black Oxide Finish Project X 6.0 Shafts

Vokey 52* Oil Can Finish TTDG S400 Shaft

Cleveland 588 60* TTDG S400 Shaft

Rife Bimini Blade Putter

Ball-White and Round

Best putting advice I ever got: Get your eyes over the ball at address. Helped me see the line so much better.

With all due respect, there's absolutely no way you're going to "see" the line at address: your body and stance are completely convoluted compared to standing behind the ball. I hope you've picked and committed to a line well before addressing the ball. I can see that maybe helping your alignment, helping you make sure you're aimed at the line/spot you've previously read?

I just heard on an LPGA telecast how Inbee Park went to work with Stan Utley (IIRC), so he could put her on some machine he had, supposedly tells whether the player's stroke is perfect or not. She went to him, found out her stroke was perfect, and she ended the working relationship, then started going out and draining putts. I had a similar experience, buying one of those laser attachments. You attach it, align yourself to your target without it, then turn on the laser to see if you're right. I found that my alignment was nearly spot on, which was what first turned me toward realizing my problem was all about non-committance (sp?). Similarly, I think "seeing the line" or alignment, etc..., is something either your routine already does well, or it doesn't, and way before you actually address the ball. I feel obliged to interject a Golf54 thing: the PLAY BOX. If you haven't seen the line and picked your alignment by the time you get in it, you're starting behind the 8-ball.

Nothing in the swing is done at the expense of balance.

you've got to commit to the putt, once you've decided where to putt to then you hae to keep all other thoughts at bay. I have worked pretty hard on getting a sound routine that works for me and I know my putting has improved big time over the last 6 months. Sure I still have bad days, but you just put it out of your head and move on.

In terms of routine I think the best advice I've heard is to putt to the smallest target possible, e.g. a mark on the back of the cup as opposed to the cup.

What's in the bag
Big sticks Ping Rapture V2 9° Fusion FT-3 3-Wood, 3,4 Hybrid

Irons Ping I10 5-GW
Wedges Cleveland RTX 54° Spin Milled Vokey 60°Putter Redwood Anser Titleist NXT Tour 1500 rangefinder

I went from putting horrible to putting excellent buy two things. First, I keep my elbow tight to my ribcage and take my hands out of the swing. Second, I follow through and keep my head down. Unbelievable how well this works fo rme.

Taylormade R7
Taylormade R580 3,5,7 wood
Callaway X-18 irons
Cleveland 588 SW
Odyssey #1 XG Putter

1. Read the putt as best you can
2. Pick a spot about 1 foot in front of your ball on that line and burn that spot into your brain
3. Address the ball with the putter face square to that spot and align your body accordingly
4. While over the ball focus on nothing but speed, speed and speed.

IF you are a pendulum style putter, keep the right wrist angle intact through the swing.

i figured it out today, or at least, i'm on my way to figuring it out.

Really stand with your head over the ball. I mean really, head over the ball.

Next, line up your putter's AIM line with the AIM line on your ball. The less margin for error, the better your putt is going to be. Miss small, that's another key.

Finally, move nothing but your shoulders. No wrist, very little hands. Shoulders back, shoulders through.

Try it.

I strongly agree with keeping your head and eyes still until well after impact, and being committed to the line and speed that you have read. I also like picking a spot to start the ball over.

The following is a tip that may help some, especially if you have any tendency toward the “yips”. It is from “The Golf Swing and It’s Master Key Explained” by Noel Thomas.

“To make a deliberate putting stroke with the correct clubhead path and clubface angle, try the following swing thought. Tell yourself that you must ‘Push your ball into the hole’. Of course you are not allowed to actually push your ball into the hole. You must make a backswing and then strike your ball on the forward swing. However, just thinking of your forward swing as pushing your ball into the hole will cause you to make a very deliberate stroke through impact and on toward your target. You can try this with any putting method.”

Note: This thread is 5765 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!