IGNORED

Who knows balls?

Baynative
Note: This thread is 6706 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I collect lost balls when I walk my dog in the evening. I take them home, clean them up and then do a bounce test to see which ones I want to keep for play.

I hold two balls at eye level and drop them at the same time. I have a 'test ball' which has out bounced every ball I try. If one beats it, then that becomes the new test ball.

My question is; "Does a ball that bounces higher this way usually travel further off the club head too?"

Off my garage floor the high bouncers are always; Top Flite XL 2000, 3000 - TITLEIST, So-Lo, NXT, and HVC - PINNACLES of all names - PRECEPT lady, NOODLES and NIKE soft.

Duds that never bounce higher than our limited flight range balls are STRATA, TITLEIST ProV1, Wound DT's and CALLAWAY Blue.

When I don't catch the balls, but let them bounce twice none ever even come close to equalling Top Flite XL or Pinnacle Power Core on the second bounce.

I'm thinking maybe the drop test is exhibiting a really slow club head speed and there is something different in the no bouncers that fast swings make up for. ????

Bury me with a golf glove in my pocket - just in case!

• Administrator
I collect lost balls when I walk my dog in the evening. I take them home, clean them up and then do a bounce test to see which ones I want to keep for play.

Swing speed: 110 MPH.

Ball dropped from 4 feet or so: 10 MPH or so. So no, the relationship has next to nothing to do with anything. It's not golf balls here, it's physics. Even if you throw the ball at the ground you're not gonna compress any of the inner layer.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The ones that bounce the highest off your garage floor probably perform the worst on the course because they don't spin as much. For example, a cheapo Top Flight will likely bounce higher than a ProV1 off the floor, but a ProV1 will spin more on the course and fly just as far and further.

So Erik is right, its not the best test because swing speeds of 90+, 100+, and 110+ are different animals than a bounce test.

Jeff

10.5° Callaway FT-iZ Tour

18°, 20°, 23° Adams Idea Pro Prototype Hybrid

4-9 Titleist 690.CB
48° Titleist Vokey Tour Nickel
54°, 58° Titleist Vokey Tour Oil Can

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

• Administrator
Plus think of it this: a rubber ball (you know, like the ones you can buy that bounce really really well) really won't work in golf either. Try it though, it can be fun...

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

"Even if you throw the ball at the ground you're not gonna compress any of the inner layer."

That would explain why hitting a ProV1 feels like a rock with my swing speed.

Off my garage floor the high bouncers are always; Top Flite XL 2000, 3000 - TITLEIST, So-Lo, NXT, and HVC - PINNACLES of all names - PRECEPT lady, NOODLES and NIKE soft.

Incidentally, The Titleist So-Lo, NXT, HVC, Noodles, and Nike Softs will all play pretty well. I never have a problem with balls like that bouncing off greens here in Washington.

The only thing I sacrifice using them is distance... maybe 10-15 yards. And yes, thats a lot. The ProV1's provide me with a major bump in distance off the tee, but I'm not a $39 per dozen guy quite yet.

Jeff

4-9 Titleist 690.CB

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

I've got a bunch of ProV1 s that I've found but I just can't get didtance with them. Maybe I'll try again. I thought my swing speed was just to slow.

I usually play two or three balls when I play alone for practice. Hardly ever get the ProV out there past the Noodle. So I always end up playing the Noodle or TopFlite 3000 when I'm in a league game or monay match.

A friend just told me the Bridgestones are long and perform well without a 130mph club head speed... I'll have to try 'em, I guess.

Those ProV1's require that you compress the core to make them go. It'll be easier to get a Noodle out there with a slower swing speed I suppose. Use whatever works for you. I'm pretty happy with the "bargain" balls. They spin enough typically for less than half the price. I usually stock up in the fall when balls go on sale.

Jeff

4-9 Titleist 690.CB

Scotty Cameron NP2, 33"

A friend just told me the Bridgestones are long and perform well without a 130mph club head speed... I'll have to try 'em, I guess.

bridgestones e5s are very nice balls for people like you who are looking for distance. Dont get a B330, they compare to a Srixon or Titlest in terms of feel. But balls really give much distance unless your using illegal ones. I play Pro-V1X's and hit the ball plenty far so that proves that the ball doesnt make a dramatic change.

"I usually stock up in the fall when balls go on sale."

That's one problem I don't have. We have a demanding course and I find so many balls when I walk my dog in the evening that I never have to buy any and always have my choice of what to play - with the exception of Bridgestone. They don't seem to be making their way here yet.

When I left California two years ago I got an 18 pack of new Pinnacle Gold at a little retirement party. I've only opened two sleves. But, I have two 5 gallon paint buckets and four work boot boxes of 'rescued' balls in my garage.

well that brings up this point: people who play the nice balls (ie- srixon, bridgestone, Pro V's) are of higher skill level and they probably wont lose as many. Your getting the balls of hackers who buy them by the ton instead of buying good balls because they will lose them anyway. at a country club that probably wont be true because the members are rich and can afford to throw away $50 dozen golf balls.

HHmmm- there are a couple of doglegs here that take about a 280 yd carry. They are one of my favorite places to harvest and are often ripe with ProV and Srixon. Maybe the good guys who don't make the corner or over cook the draws are too focused on their game to bother searching or hit provisionals the moment they don't like the looks of the ball off the tee.

Note: This thread is 6706 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!