IGNORED

Divot Repair Questions

ctmurrray
Note: This thread is 5774 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Today I was reading up on the proper method of divot repair. I read that in northern climates replacing the divot of grass/dirt back into the hole is suppose regrow and heal (like here in Minnesota). (apparently in the southern courses they prefer replacement with sand or sand/seed mix).

Yet I see many dead grass patches in old divots at my course. Prior to reading this today I have just started taking divot repair dirt/seed from the par 3's and using that instead. Several other players started this a few years ago and it is catching on.

Now I am not sure what is best. Any people with real experience on the board that can give us the low down on divot repair?

Driver: 400 SZ
Irons: Maltby custom fit KE4's
Sandwedge: Maltby Slider
Others: random selection

Maybe it is time to have a discussion with your superintendent? I bet it would make his day to know that some members/regular players are concerned about how to properly care for the course.

hmm... at my course people just dont repair them at all... damn these people!!!

Daniel Duarte
905R UST Proforce V2 76g 44" S
904F 15, Graphite Design YS6+
MD Hybrid, 19 Degree, UST V2 Hybrid S
Pro M Gunmetal 5-PW, Nippon 1150GH Pro SVokey Oil Can 52 - RAWVokey Spin Milled Oil Can 56, 60 - RAWTEI3 Newport II - Torch Copper- Prov1x

Divots from cool season grasses (bent, rye & bluegrass) should be replaced. They usually have roots that will retake when replaced. Divots from warm season grasses (Bermuda & zoysia) typically will not have a root structure to retake. However, these type of grasses generally have a fast spreading growth that will grow over the divot, the sand is used to fill in the hole. As suggested you should talk to your superintendent for his/her preference. When playing a new course you can always ask in the pro shop or the starter for that course's policy.

Rob Tyska

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

At my home course here in Colorado, all carts have 2 bottles of sand/seed mix on them. The air is so dry most of the time that divots just dry out within a couple of hours. Replacing them rarely results in a successful patch.

That said, when I'm walking, I always replace them unless there is someone nearby with a cart that I can get some mix from. Even a dead divot is better than a bomb crater to hit from.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Divots from cool season grasses (bent, rye & bluegrass) should be replaced. They usually have roots that will retake when replaced. Divots from warm season grasses (Bermuda & zoysia) typically will not have a root structure to retake.

I agree that the roots are a big factor in if a replaced divot will grow back. If you clip the divot where the roots are below the divot (still in the ground) then the grass is less likely to grow back as well, but if the bottom of your divot is dirt (meaning you didn't cut through the roots) then the grass will continue to grow not long after it has been replaced (as long as the grass is replaced not too long after it was cut from the ground). If the grass (divot) was made a long time ago, and the grass has dried out on the dirt side then it may have already been depleated of the much needed water and be less likely to grow when replaced.

In my bag:

Driver: Burner TP 8.5*
Fairway metals/woods: Burner TP 13* Tour Spoon, and Burner TP 17.5*
Irons: RAC MB TP Wedges: RAC TPPutter: Spider Ball: (varies ) (Most of the time): TP Red or HX Tour/56---------------------------------------------------

I played again today, taking care to look at all the divot repairs (where the sod/grass toupee is replaced). They were all dead.

Driver: 400 SZ
Irons: Maltby custom fit KE4's
Sandwedge: Maltby Slider
Others: random selection

Down here in FL, it is all about the sand. Replacing a divot will lead to dead patches according to our superintendent.

Which makes perfect sense, as sand has virtually no water-holding capacity. Replacing divots in soils high in organic matter and clay have a much higher chance for recovery, if kept properly moist.

Driver: Cobra S2 9.5 Fubuki 73 Stiff | Wood: Titleist 909H 17 Aldila Voodoo Stiff | Irons: Titleist ZB 3-5, ZM 6-PW DG S300 | Wedges: Titleist Vokey SMTC 50.08, 54.11, 60.04 DG S200 | Putter: Scotty Cameron Fastback 1.5 33" | Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

Divots from cool season grasses (bent, rye & bluegrass) should be replaced. They usually have roots that will retake when replaced. Divots from warm season grasses (Bermuda & zoysia) typically will not have a root structure to retake. However, these type of grasses generally have a fast spreading growth that will grow over the divot, the sand is used to fill in the hole. As suggested you should talk to your superintendent for his/her preference. When playing a new course you can always ask in the pro shop or the starter for that course's policy.

On the nose>

Monster Tour 10.5* w/ Redboard 63
FP400f 14.5* w/ GD YSQ
Idea Pro 18* w/ VS Proto 80s
MP FLi-Hi 21 w/ S300
CG1 BP w/ PX 6.0 SM 54.11 SM 60.08 Sophia 33"

Note: This thread is 5774 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!